Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, I'm about to pick up DF again...  (Read 1327 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I'm about to pick up DF again...
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:57:01 pm »

I've been playing for years, so much that whenever I hit embark!, I Abandon the Fortress within 30 seconds out of sheer boredom.

So, a few months (weeks?) later, I feel the urge rising within me once more.

How often do you guys get this?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm about to pick up DF again...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

So far never, but the "Prepare carefully!"-screen can do this, so I just hit "play now!" :)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »

So far never, but the "Prepare carefully!"-screen can do this, so I just hit "play now!" :)

Actually, I've only ever once used Play Now! :D Ever!
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

I only use Play Now when I need to test a mod and don't need to build anything.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »

I use "play now!" to test out sites that look funny on the embark map. If I like them after that, I kill DF and make a proper embark.

Have been doing this rather often lately though, I seem to lack drive to let a fort run for any significant amouth of time. Usualy I abandon or make a new world, with something in mind like some minor  mishap in my mods (or a majour one, like no invaders...).

Taking a break helps. Play some inferior other game, them return in full glory!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:31:56 pm »

Alright. I'm readdicted. I'm carving out the 15z mountain around my fort's built insides. ie, I've built a huge arched two-tier dining room with a bridge above it that leads to the outside world, accessable at the southern staircase. Quite pretty.

I'm also digging out a small (14x14, rounded so that the faces are 4 tiles wide) tower to the west, accessable by a single bridge.

Working my way down, so about half-way through, I should imagine it looks quite epic. A bastion of dwarvenly architecture, sunk into a rugged mountain.

My archite-...Miners, were ambushed by goblins, but none of them were marksgob's luckily. Made a burrow/alert and had everybody gather in my great hall at the bottom of the stairs. 40+ dorfs with no weapons and armour, ready to face them off.

The gob's got slaughtered by a single caravan swordsdwarf. Two or three ran away, one of them with an arm missing.

Oh DF, how I missed you. <3
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »

Alright. I'm readdicted. I'm carving out the 15z mountain around my fort's built insides. ie, I've built a huge arched two-tier dining room with a bridge above it that leads to the outside world, accessable at the southern staircase. Quite pretty.

This tells me how imaginative our DF players are.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:13:14 am »

This tells me how imaginative our DF players are.

Yes, in reality, we're all dillusional. We see things that aren't there. For example, we may cross the road nonchalantly because a two-headed ogre with a ragged cloth around his waist and a giant club in his hand is standing in the way, daringly.

Or we might start shouting and chasing a Kobold whilst waiting for the bus, because we are convinced he is a thief.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »

AHA. Finally home. Everything is sorted. I can finally get back onto DF.

I fucking love you Toady, I really do. I love you so much that I'm going to send you a PM, telling you how much I love you. :|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

its wierd becuase I've never actually let a fortress die... ever. I've always (always) built them great enough so that they lastlong enough for me to get bored of the site. it's so annoying, but I find that megaprojects, writing bloodline type things, and leaving the game alone for a bit while its running helps.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:04:35 am »

With each release. I have some fun with newly added features, but once I've figured them all, lack of challenge and general boredom come back. I want 'survival is impossible' mode, which would involve actual thinking and struggling rather than repeating same old strategy over and over. Or at least non-static world, so I could spend some time dooming settlements around me.
Yeah, there are many self-imposed challenges, but they don't work for me lately.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 06:08:08 am »

Whenever I have term papers to write, and finals to study for
Thank you based dwarf.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:38 am »

With each release. I have some fun with newly added features, but once I've figured them all, lack of challenge and general boredom come back. I want 'survival is impossible' mode, which would involve actual thinking and struggling rather than repeating same old strategy over and over. Or at least non-static world, so I could spend some time dooming settlements around me.
Yeah, there are many self-imposed challenges, but they don't work for me lately.

The military screen makes "Survival is Impossible" possible. Usually when I get ambushed, I gather all of my dwarves into a small space, a one-way entrance, then just mob the goblins. It kills maybe, 5 or 6 of my dwarves, but 40 dwarves piling ontop of two goblins, till the others arrive, is effective.
But now, you can't just go Dwarves > All > Recruited. You have to set them up into seperate groups, then set them up individually. So, when you have a fort of 60 and have to group them, then set their squad (s) to move somewhere, you wind up spending five minutes doing a previously 5-second-job.

I suggest a feature "Call to arms" which recruits all dwarves into one group. :|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 08:41:13 am »

I suggest a feature "Call to arms" which recruits all dwarves into one group. :|
It's actually called "Can we have squad size higher then 10 now?"
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.