Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well Troubles  (Read 913 times)

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well Troubles
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

Any idea why this well isn't working? I'll include an image, but the setup is as follows:

Level 1) Well over a properly channeled hole.
Level 2) Channeled hole leading to the water, directly under said well.
Level 3) Water source, again directly under the well.

I had read on the wiki that as long as there was a clear shaft to water, wells were able to pull water from any number of z-levels below. Is this incorrect? Do I need to pump the water up a level?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: Well Troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:07 am »

Looks OK.  Are you sure it's not salt water?  Hit and then make a zone over it.  If "Water Source" is blacked out, then it's salt water.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:38:20 am »

I have tried making it a drinking zone and it is indeed blacked out, but the water source is a river (so I am assuming it's fresh water). Are there such things as salt water rivers?

EDIT: I confirmed that I can build a working well on the z-level below the top one. I guess wells can't pull more than one z-level any more?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:52:37 am by Firehawk »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36:20 am »

Wells work over any water type, they don't care if it's fresh or salt water, and unless you're on an oceanside biome it shouldn't be salt water anyway.

Well should still be able to be built any number of Z-levels above water, so that shouldn't matter.  So long as your well is actually built directly over water, on a channeled hole, with a clear path to the water below, it should work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:59 am »

Definitely not working. No idea what the problem is.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:37 am »

How is it not working?  Does the well refuse to get built, or is the well's status 'dry' or 'inactive'?

One point - the well you built one layer down, is it on the same spot?  I suspect that wells may block water for wells directly above them, but I haven't tested this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:01 am »

Check if a layer under the well inst

+(floor) but open space.

Also salty water cant be drinked.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:21:40 am »

It can if it comes from a well.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:23:31 am »

Are you sure?  :-\ Dorfs cant drink water from salty sources(I mean seas and ponds close to it).

Salty water sources also can be turned in drinkable ones if are pumped by a screw pump(NOTE THAT THE RESERVOIR NEEDS TO BE SMOOTH/CONSTRUCTED WALLS OR IT WILL TURNED INTO SALTY AGAIN! also if touches salty water. "You have embarked in a area with salty water. It might be very difficult to survive here")
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:26:35 am by Davichococat »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:30:49 am »

Are you sure?  :-\ Dorfs cant drink water from salty sources(i mean seas and ponds close to it).
Yes.  I think there might be some confusion going on here between water collection activity zones and wells.  Water collection zones only work when placed directly above sources of fresh water.  Water collection zones are where you tell your dwarves to stand and collect water manually from a water source without using a well.  Wells do not need to be in an area zoned as a water collection activity zone.  In theory, wells should be able to be placed any distance above any kind of water.  Placing a well above salt water may result in your dwarves gathering buckets full of 'water laced with salt', but they don't seem to mind that.

I suspect that the original poster may be mistaken about his well not working.  He may be trying to zone the area around the well as a water source and then seeing that the 'water source' option is blacked out.  This is because water source zones and wells are different functions, and wells don't need to be placed in or set as water source zones.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:30 am »

Are you sure?  :-\ Dorfs cant drink water from salty sources(i mean seas and ponds close to it).
Yes.  I think there might be some confusion going on here between water collection activity zones and wells.  Water collection zones only work when placed directly above sources of fresh water.  Water collection zones are where you tell your dwarves to stand and collect water manually from a water source without using a well.  Wells do not need to be in an area zoned as a water collection activity zone.  In theory, wells should be able to be placed any distance above any kind of water.  Placing a well above salt water may result in your dwarves gathering buckets full of 'water laced with salt', but they don't seem to mind that.

I suspect that the original poster may be mistaken about his well not working.  He may be trying to zone the area around the well as a water source and then seeing that the 'water source' option is blacked out.  This is because water source zones and wells are different functions, and wells don't need to be placed in or set as water source zones.

Hmmm I will do a small !!Science!!.

Edit: Aww, it works. Strange.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:42:36 am by Davichococat »

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »

Sorry for hijacking the thread but if i understand correctly Sphalerite your saying that wells don't need to have an activity zone? The dwarfs will go there anyway to get water? i was always setting it to a "Water Source" lol. I need to go back in-game and erase that zone lol.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »

Yes.  Activity Zones and Wells are two different functions.  Water Activity Zones are used to tell dwarves where to go to get water when not using a well.  Wells don't need to be placed in Activity Zones in order to be used as water sources.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 04:15:53 pm »

ahhh i see, thank you appreciate it  :)
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:51:25 pm »

I think you need to define a room (q-r) from the well before anyone will use it.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.
Pages: [1] 2