Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Infinity - Universe Simulator MMO  (Read 4615 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Infinity - Universe Simulator MMO
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

Infinity is a massively multiplayer online game set in a persistent futuristic universe, currently in development.

Infinity features an advanced procedural engine allowing for a seemingly infinite galaxy of unique star systems and planets to discover and explore, including seamless planetary landing. Infinity offers new and existing players an extensive storyline following the complex and often intricate political and social interactions of hundreds of corporations, organizations, and reputation groups through the games three primary factions: the Centauran, the Deltan Federation, and the Star Fold Confederacy.

Infinity employs an open-ended world design, in which a player can control everything from a small shuttle to massive military dreadnaught, a single mining operation to an entire vast corporate empire, all without having to change characters. A completely player-skill based game design, Infinity sheds the need for character classes and skills by embracing self-balance over arbitrary limitation, allowing players to choose their own path to make their name across the galaxy.

Although all players are expected to act in concordance with their personal motivations, Infinity is not a traditional role playing game. The actions of a single player greatly affect the evolution of their character. Your character might grow from their humble beginnings as a young military officer to become the master of a vast corporate empire, or even a wanted mercenary and pirate.

The game mechanics do not emphasize any particular game play style - combat, trade, exploration, social relationships, you are free to choose your own path and goals. Players can choose from a number of interesting character backgrounds that serve as your characters personal history, circumstances, and setting in the Infinity universe to help ground new players in their new boundless horizon of stars. The only limit is your own imagination!

Combat in Infinity functions in real-time, utilizing Newtonian physics to control the fluid realistic movements of player ships and objects. Where the outcome of combat is determined by your own intelligence and reflexes. Not the level and class of another player!

Like all massively multiplayer online (MMO) games, you will connect to an online server shared by thousands of other players at any time. But, unlike other MMOs, the Infinity universe is an entirely persistent. The actions of your characters do not stop when you log off - as the actions of your characters continue to progress and evolve, even while you are offline.

By utilizing the advanced procedural techniques of the I-Novae Engine, Infinity has unshackled itself from the limitations of its forbearers, allowing for the dynamic generation of countless star systems and planets, each unique and awaiting to be discovered by a player. Drawing upon plausible astronomic scales and distances of stellar objects, the precise orbital path of every celestial body is modeled, as each planet and star moves continuously within the galaxy. Allowing players to glimpse the double sunrise of a binary star system on some distant rocky world, to the total eclipse of a tiny moon orbiting a massive gas giant thousands of light years from your home planet - every vista, every horizon is wholly unique in Infinity.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php

What do you think? I hope it will be F2P, I'll look around the webpage to see if it says something about it.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity - Universe Simulator MMO
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »

This looks like a mixture between X2 (dunno why, X3 doesn't really fit) and Eve.

And unless they've got something planned for the planets, I don't really know what's going on with this game.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:28:18 am »

If the tech demo is any indication of how good the game is, it will blow most other space MMO's out of the water.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:00:40 am »

I want to point out that Infinity's engine (I-Novae) is being programmed by one man. like Dwarf Fortress; the other 7 members of the team work on various aspects of community management (great loads of art and proof-of-concept contributions made). The FAQ should come before the news page, and the forums have a search function for any questions.
 The Infinity forums was my home base before Bay 12, a bit more than a year ago. As far as I can tell with my sporadic checks, everyone there is still chugging along in the same awesome direction they were before. With heavily and well thought out concepts, solid and razor sharp quality control, and a potent vision everyone can share.
 It is its own game; any lines of similarity drawn are very long. The forums have exploded into flames multiple times over this fact; they get so many...venomous people there.

Edit: If you want a feel for the game, try the contributed music accepted so far (there's a link from the link).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:11:48 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:05:49 am »

This is pretty much the only MMOG I'm interested in at the moment.  Well, this and WW2 online.

Course I still can't afford to play monthly fee games.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:08:52 am »

This looks like it could be the Jumpgate/Eve hybrid I've been wanting to play for nearly a decade. It also looks like waiting for release might require another decade.

If they can pull it off, though...  :o

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:20:25 am »

If this game actually ever is completed I will eat my hat.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:15 am »

Tilla, I am with you, yes, it looks HAWSOME but I just checked their dev log.

One post a year is hardly meritorious achievement....

Reminds me of Cortex Command, the guy running that game posts a single dev log a year (sometimes) and it never has anything related to actual game content, it's all smoke and curtains. When he actully releases something new (a week or so ago with the humble indie bundle 2) it turns out that it is almost exactly the same as the previous one, but with a twist NEW MENU'S ZOMG! So that's what you've been working for since april 2009? Incredible, commendable, my hat comes right off to you. pschhh.

I just hope this game doesn't go down the same downtrodden, musk-scented, dirty, filthy, depressing road.
Poysky Productions

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:34 am »

Both the announcements on the front page and the announcements on the forums (they're different) are only updated when IA (FB) feels there's something special he needs to commemorate. A lot more of his news is in notable forum threads and stickied threads. And an even larger amount comes sporadically on the IRC channel where only a handful of people (people who live there) ever get to see it. There's a lot really cool stuff if you have the time to read the forums, and more if you're interested in contributing at the same time; so you can see how information control is used here to get people to make more cool stuff for the game.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

BumTheBobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:38:04 am »

The most horrible thing I can ever think of happening to this game is that it is released in all it's glory and wonderment...

but people are too busy playing cod 27 and halo 7 to even notice and the developer will not have any capital to invest in advertising, thus the game shuts down because of the reliance on a fat expensive server to calculate all the physics which the developer won't be able to afford.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:57 am »

Posting to watch. I want to keep an eye on this, because if it sticks to what I think its doing, it could be very interesting.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:49:33 am »

This has been in development for quite a while, can't wait for release. Has a release date been mentioned yet?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:07 am »

The specific answer is: it's been mentioned, but little detail given; we do however, know there's going to be a closed alpha in the next year. For the past 6-8 years Brebion has been working on individual pieces of the game▬ getting deferred lighting right was one piece▬ and for the past year he's been putting the pieces together into his one engine. He's going to write his yearly project retrospective in about 10 days, which should be revealing, although only to the extent that he knows.
 If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the closed alpha is also the date that the merging is done, and the next one or two years afterwards will be filled making sure everything is perfect (to the extent that human error allows) and finally being more decisive about what art is going into the game. Since the forums would have exploded again with any hint that the closed alpha had begun, IA would be reluctant go any farther, probably choosing to keep it closed into beta, or even release, just to keep progress controlled.
 The talk lately hasn't really been about release, but about current contribution quality, and that the reason so many are pending review is because some of them are just on the blurry line and others would experience emotional backlash from being told "no" after all their amateur work. It seems like the forums have been far more effective at increasing contributor skill than it has at producing usable things.

Well, I guess that's not really the uplifting news everyone looks for, but if they decided to announce that all the time they really would have vaporware on their hands.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:17 am »

The Infinity forums was my home base before Bay 12

Same here. in fact, there is where I learned about DF.

Relevant.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »

It's awesome, and I've been waiting for it for years. (two IIRC)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2