Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Older versions?  (Read 1377 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Older versions?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:26:08 pm »

I started in .38c or something like that. I've always wanted to try a 2d fort.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »

Same here, especially after I saw the legendary Copperblazes on the DFMA.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:48 pm »

I personally never played it, but after reading all the 23a wiki pages I know pretty much all about it. It was way back when when the game was in 2D, every map would always go river, cliff, cave river, chasm (which was the garbage dump, and spawned critters if you threw stuff down it), magma river and HFS. The underground river and the magma river would have a chance to flood if you dug into them apparently, and dumping enough magma into the chasm would kill everything down there and rendering it harmless. Oh, and bridges for the magma river needed to be steel.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:46 pm »

I personally never played it, but after reading all the 23a wiki pages I know pretty much all about it. It was way back when when the game was in 2D, every map would always go river, cliff, cave river, chasm (which was the garbage dump, and spawned critters if you threw stuff down it), magma river and HFS. The underground river and the magma river would have a chance to flood if you dug into them apparently, and dumping enough magma into the chasm would kill everything down there and rendering it harmless. Oh, and bridges for the magma river needed to be steel.

And, of course, you needed aqueducts to move liquids and the mill built over the river to grind plants.  Of course, ironically the 23a version was more complete in some ways such as the nobility and dwarves actually wearing clothing (although the former was far from fleshed out), but these features had to be put on the sideline in order to reform and implement others in the later versions.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 [2]