Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Older versions?  (Read 1379 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Older versions?
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:09:31 pm »

I just finished reading about Boatmurdered, and I was wondering...  Was this done in .23 or whatever that version was called?  I just started playing when .31 came out, and I learned how to play on 40d, and I never saw anything like a chasm or underground river or HFS on the same level.

To that end, did Z-levels exist in whatever version Boatmurdered was in?  Because that was a REALLY sprawly fort.  Not to mention the graphics were strange (channels when dug looked like the tile for designating them), and a lotta the items were strange ("dwarf chunks," "narrow iron leggings," etc.).

And finally, what kinda crazy (and I mean dwarven-crazy) changes have there been since the beginning of DF Alpha?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Older versions?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »

The switch to 3D was a big one. Boatmurdered was .23 I think. It was definitely 2D though. Tried .23 but I gave up after it scrapped 100 worlds at world gen.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:24 am »

I just looked it up; Boatmurdered was even older than the .23 series...the saga started with version 0.22.110.22f.  To put it in perspective, the oldest version of any stage of DF available is from August of 2006, or only three months earlier than version 22f.  Suffice to say that was very primitive DF even by 2D standards (based on the archived dev logs). 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:29:15 am »

Whoa.  :o  *Mind blown*
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:12 am »

Wow, dwarven history lessons.
By the way if now it's caravan arc what was it back then in .23 and .40? The beginning and 3d arcs?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:21:15 am »

Mmm... no. I don't seem to recall Toady focusing on individual arcs as often as he is now back then. I know there was that one time where he added religion and temples and things, and the one time with worldgen wars and battles, those were pretty big deals (or maybe they were in the same release, can't remember).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:48 pm »

Wow, dwarven history lessons. By the way if now it's caravan arc what was it back then in .23 and .40? The beginning and 3d arcs?

It was seemingly piecemeal; temperatures and plant dyes were two major things in progress when Boatmurdered started, and 22f was the first version to offer item-specific stockpiles among other things.  Needless to say, a good deal different from what we have today. 

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:47:32 pm »

Crazy-dwarven change to the game? The ability to tell your dwarves where to go.

I remember building a lever-operated airlock system in 2D for the sole purpose of stopping dwarves from streaming outside to pick up goblin socks, and putting several layers of doors between the cliff face and the river so that goblins could be locked out long enough for the traps to be reloaded, and also to stop retreating citizens from being shot at (although that still works today, heh).

Also, trading options were far more limited. You couldn't put in requests until you had a mature, noble-filled fortress, and you couldn't buy any minerals. The amount of flux was far more limited, with only the tiles close to the river being usable. Want to melt some of that goblin armour lying around? Tough. You couldn't melt items until your fortress was at about the point at which you could put in trade requests, or close enough.

Oh, and Boatmurdered was before the time of the population cap. I started out on that version after reading the saga in 2008(?).
"Hello, welcome to [insert fortress name here]! You're all in the army now, please report to the farm room for your first briefing."
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

I started playing some time after the Z-axis was created, but at the time you had to forbid items and build constructions one-by-one. There was much rejoicing when forbid/dump/melt/hide designations and mass constructions were put in.

Also cliffs were perfectly vertical back in those days, which was much more awesome.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »

I downloaded 22f. It's still awesome.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:01:46 pm »

I remember that being slow as hell when I played it, but now that I have a laptop that doesn't suck maybe I'll have better results.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:20:56 am »

Nothing like the days of migrant waves consisting almost entirely of nobles...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:35 am »

Anybody remember when your first anvil came sometime during mid-summer?  That was back in the days when you couldn't even trade for one, so if you somehow lost that first anvil, you'd never be able to start metal production.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:50 am »

The 2D DF really is different from what we now have.
All those idlers. All those recruits sparring for a few moments, then walking off a while before deciding to do ANYTHING else but spar again. That fort died before I had even a single WRESTLER. Maybe I just sucked at it. Have to retry.

Thieves were more successful too. It really took effort to find 'em not to mention KILL them.
And don't get me started on those gobbo babysnatchers. Before the fort started to have a bigger population, those guys just walked to the statue halls, yoinked a baby and made it out without anyone spotting 'em.

Was fun. We need those kind of thieves and babysnatchers back. They didn't seem to be afraid to enter the fort back then, unlike now. Or maybe it's just me thinking that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 08:46:04 am »

Thieves were more successful too. It really took effort to find 'em not to mention KILL them.
And don't get me started on those gobbo babysnatchers. Before the fort started to have a bigger population, those guys just walked to the statue halls, yoinked a baby and made it out without anyone spotting 'em.

I've played a few retro-forts in 0.23.130.23a (by which point there was a population cap option), and how it seemed to work was that goblin babysnatchers were 100% undetectible until they captured a child, at which point they could be discovered by your citizens. Also, when hidden creatures (including said goblin babysnatchers) blundered into cage traps, the game did not pause and center on them - instead, it just kept on running, just like if they had walked into stonefall/weapon traps and gotten killed.

Interestingly, the 2D versions also predate goblin ambushes - the only attacks you ever got from them were sieges (though I believe the Elves would still send ambushes if you pissed them off).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:48:08 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2