Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two gods per dwarf - feature or bug?  (Read 1257 times)

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
Two gods per dwarf - feature or bug?
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »

In my current world every sentient being seems to worship two deities. I've never seen that in any of my 40d forts. Is it normal, just a rare oddity or a bug?
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: Two gods per dwarf - feature or bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »

First, in dwarf fortress there is no difference between a feature and a bug, and second I think it's commen.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

Any entity that worshipped a diety, dwarfs being one of them, can have multiple gods. It's sort of the case that they beleive in many gods, and there are a select few they choose to devote themselves too.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:09:29 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting that too. I have a couple dwarves that worship only one, but the vast majority worship two. Ideally this would be weighted so they're more likely to have fewer, or the degrees of worship (casual worshiper, faithful worshiper, and etc.) will relate to that. Of course, it doesn't really matter right now since gods don't exist and aren't actively worshipped, but it's still a thing that could use a hand.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:11:16 pm »

Btw. one of them could be a FB/Titan or Megabeast which as powers can be worshipped. So you dont need to have two deities at all.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:08 pm »

Any entity that worshipped a diety, dwarfs being one of them, can have multiple gods. It's sort of the case that they beleive in many gods, and there are a select few they choose to devote themselves too.
That makes sense, but I still find it still strange that almost everyone I see has exactly two gods. Almost everyone I say because I just found a dwarf who worships only one deity, according to the relations screen. Her description though says "She is a worshipper of Ber and a worshipper of Ber" and that can't be intended behaviour I think.
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »

Shecould be a refugee/abducted from another civ. Sometimes you get Deitys with the same name and some megabeasts try to impersonate deitys.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:42 pm »

Taking into account that names are selected from a list and then assigned to gods/false gods, the chances of two gods having the same name seems high, the chances of a dwarf worshipping two gods with the same name, however, would be a lot lower, but possible, maybe you got lucky?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:01 pm »

Shecould be a refugee/abducted from another civ. Sometimes you get Deitys with the same name and some megabeasts try to impersonate deitys.
If it lists that she worships two in the description, but only lists one deity in her relationships, then this would not be the case.

It looks like this is indeed a bug, although some implementation of similar behavior would certainly be desirable.
Taking into account that names are selected from a list and then assigned to gods/false gods, the chances of two gods having the same name seems high, the chances of a dwarf worshipping two gods with the same name, however, would be a lot lower, but possible, maybe you got lucky?
The lists are very very long. It is extremely rare that two gods would have the same name. But we know that's not what happened in this instance, because if it was they would both be listed on the relationship screen.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:06 am »

I believe I had a couple of dwarves with three deities.  That being said, I did notice some in previous forts who worshipped the same deity twice, so there may be some errors involved.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:24 am »

Yeah, I also had a dwarf worship the same diety twice... at varying degrees (if I recall, he worshipped the diety casually, then ardently).

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 01:25:36 am »

Sounds like some sort of mental trick in order to fool his deity into thinking he cares.  :P

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 03:58:15 am »

If you mod an entity to worship a force instead of a pantheon then almost everyone will worship the same god twice, eg. "He is a worshipper of Cira and a casual worshipper of Cira."
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:20 am »

every baby born in my fortress worships three gods. from day one. I assume they worship all of their parent's gods.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:46 am »

Josh, it's actually random. It was just luck to get them worship the same gods as their parents.