Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interface Overhaul  (Read 3314 times)

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interface Overhaul
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »

When is the presentation arc scheduled for?  This may be stated clearly somewhere but I cannot find it in the FOTF thread.  I really hope this is next--DF deserves to have a better interface and a larger playerbase.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Interface Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »

I think it's somewhere around beta, so don't expect to see it in the next decade :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:46:13 pm »

In any case, it isn't next; after this next release, there's going to be some serious bugfixing -- it seems to be implied that quite a few more bugs than just the ones brought about by the next release are going to be fixed -- and then some work on armies and sieges and things.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »

Since there is already a topic... Do we know when, or if, Toady has planned to optimise DF for framerate?  Of all the things he could do right now, I think this would be the one to benifit the game the most!
Diggy diggy hole.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »

Since there is already a topic... Do we know when, or if, Toady has planned to optimise DF for framerate?  Of all the things he could do right now, I think this would be the one to benifit the game the most!
The main things that detract from framerate are pathfinding and, in some forts, fluid flows. Pathfinding has received quite a bit of thought from plenty of people, since it's the main reason for quite a lot of people's forts to slow down. Fluid flows is much less so, because you can easily avoid the problem by not monkeying about with all the fluids - or if you do, by employing a floodgate and keeping things turned off.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »

On the other hand, improving performance is one of few planned improvements to DF that can actually be fixed simply by waiting.  Processors get faster and faster over time, and even though DF is not slated to be multi-core the improvements in processors will likely make DF more playable for longer by more people simply by waiting.

The other things, UI improvement, features, ect. won't actually be less requested as time goes on.  So I'm not that surprised that those are probably bigger focuses.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 06:36:44 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that whenever DF is mentioned by someone who doesn't play it in passing, they always, always mention the interface as a reason they don't play? There are a lot of people who have no issues with the graphics and say it looks like a really fun game, but just can't get over the interface. I really think Toady should work on making a more user-friendly interface around the big bugfix, because it seems to be the only thing holding back a whole lot of people. The player-base (and donations) would probably double if he did. I can wait for the army arc.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »

Oh hey it's this thread again.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »

Got anything to contribute, Capn? No? Well, thanks for stopping by!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:12:04 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that whenever DF is mentioned by someone who doesn't play it in passing, they always, always mention the interface as a reason they don't play? There are a lot of people who have no issues with the graphics and say it looks like a really fun game, but just can't get over the interface. I really think Toady should work on making a more user-friendly interface around the big bugfix, because it seems to be the only thing holding back a whole lot of people. The player-base (and donations) would probably double if he did. I can wait for the army arc.
Honestly? No. I've not noticed that at all.
Oh hey it's this thread again.
This post is entirely without merit. If you dislike the thread, you would be better served by refraining from bumping it.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 02:11:14 am »

Oh noes, not teh shiny things on df. Shiny things attract all kinds of creeps. And by creeps I mean idiots.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:23:08 am »

He is totally right though. Toady will never appear in this thread (unless he needs to close it due to some flamewar) because there were basically HUNDREDS of them and they were answered multiple times.

and even though DF is not slated to be multi-core
DF has a multi-core support for quite a long time, so Toady One works on optimization.

Oh noes, not teh shiny things on df. Shiny things attract all kinds of creeps. And by creeps I mean idiots.
It's not a problem of attractiveness, it's the fact that Toady One has much more stuff to add before he considers it a game which needs an interface overhaul. And by this the author of this thread did not mean "shiny things", he meant the better use of HUD and key combinations.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:31:35 am »

and even though DF is not slated to be multi-core
DF has a multi-core support for quite a long time, so Toady One works on optimization.
Having one core do everything and another core draw the pictures is hardly brilliant SMP.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:08 am »

He is totally right though. Toady will never appear in this thread (unless he needs to close it due to some flamewar) because there were basically HUNDREDS of them and they were answered multiple times.
I suppose that's true. All I was trying to say is it could be in Toady's interest to at least fix up the interface somewhat, as I have seen a lot of people turned away from the game specifically because they couldn't hurdle the ridiculous UI. Most of the reason behind that 90-degree learning curve everyone's always talking about is the interface.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 06:17:58 am »

b->w->m, q->f, b->x

Don't understand what you're talking about. I don't think floodgates are the worst either, but it's the one I remembered.
マグマキッド
Pages: [1] 2 3