Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: this noobs fortress, my pictures and questions  (Read 2729 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: this noobs fortress, my pictures and questions
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »

Charcoal is essential (assuming you have iron or copper or something like that) for getting your forge up and running, which is essential for getting basic weapons and armor, which are essential for early defence!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »

Which is essential for not losing too soon.

sogeking99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:47:46 am »

oh, i was wondering how to get the forge going.

oh no my water has frozen, i didn't choose a cold location though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:58:50 am by sogeking99 »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:25 am »

Even in temperate regions water freezes from about late autumn until mid spring, afaIk.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

sogeking99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 06:31:17 am »

oh, think i'll be ok without water for the mean time?

froplo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 06:41:33 am »

make booze with the plants you're too noob to farm
I had a cage made of dwarf bones once, made from a fell mood.  Just dwarf bones, no spikes, nothing, just a cage of dwarf bones...
You'd better fill it with elves to balance things out.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:04:44 am »

Use the [TAB] key to get rid of the region map and make the fort area bigger.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 09:57:39 am »

By the way, here's how I set up farms:

dig out your room for farms. Close off the 1 tile wide entrance with a door (built at the mason's shop.) From there, dig a 1-tile wide hallway to the water source you want to use (I like using rivers, because there are almost always fish in them, and they're too deep for people/things to walk across.) Before you breach the water, put a floodgate at the end of the hall, that way the worker won't stand on the wrong side, and water won't be able to move diagonally around it. Link the floodgate to a lever (you'll need to make at least two mechanisms at a Mechanic's workshop.) Pull the lever, then breach the water. The water will flood your farm, and the door will stop it flooding your fort. When the last tile you want to farm on has water on it, pull the lever again. Don't let the water fill the entire room, or the water will never evaporate. Water evaporates completely after a while at 1/7. Wait for the water to evaporate, and you'll have a nice, muddy plot of land to farm on.

If you're impatient, you can dig a couple trenches to separate your fields, and install floor grates (made at the mason's workshop) over the trenches. Dig out a big room under your farm, and the water will drain into that. When that water dissipates, you'll have another muddy plot that you can use for farming stuff later.

Happy farming! ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sogeking99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »

thanks i'll do that in future,

caravan just came and a trade menu kept coming up, i had no idea what it meant...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

thanks i'll do that in future,

caravan just came and a trade menu kept coming up, i had no idea what it meant...
It means the caravan wants to trade with you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »

Build the farm plots outside, then build a constructed wall arround, and a roof with a bridge (takes less stones/wood, if you cant get there, build a ramp outside) make the wall in a way that can only be entered from inside your fotress, and now you have a protected farm that not need water. For seeds use the herbalist and eat/brew the plants. Variety is better (is better a lot of smaller plots than one big) you shuold check the crops section in the wiki to see what crops yield food/drink but i suggest to make the biggest from strawberry/fisherberry (or bloated-tuber if wetland)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 08:56:23 pm »

Serius. This is pretty damn wood, get prepared for elven ambush...

Some tips when trading:

Dwarves: buy metal.  and lots of underground plants. also silk/cloth if you dont have. and maybe booze and weapons but weapons I dont recommend since they are damn expensive and easy to make if you buy a bar instead of a weapon.
Humans: hmm... dont know xD
Elves: buy caged animals. also lots of above ground plants/seeds. above ground farming is pretty easy to do, no need of irrigation.  WARNING: NEVER SELL THEM SOMETHING THAT USED WOOD IN ITS PRODUCTION! DONT SELL WOOD,WOODEN FURNITURE, WOODEN WEAPONS, WOODEN BARRELS/BINS, ASH, LYE,SOAP, AND GLASS(except for green glass). Metal things works fine though. Even(I was going to say elven! lol) when they used charcoal in the prodution.

sogeking99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 04:35:18 am »

those long-un's are no match for the axe of a dwarf, damn slender faces!.

thanks for the advice :p

an annoying fox is bothering my men, ordered my 2 man army to kill it and the been chasing it for ages, dont think they will ever catch it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:50:25 am by sogeking99 »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 08:05:15 am »

Elf: Buy caged animals from them. Nothing else. Dont give good profit. If they have desirable plants or wood buy couples and grow yourself
Human: Bronze, bronze bolts, glass gems if you dont have salt
Dwarf: metal bars, metal blocks, steel chainmails/breastplate/shield/greaves/legging, silk, fabrics, all gems, lye, coke, charcoal, leather, anvils of both varieties, tin cages and anything else your mayor like.

The block, anvils and steel gears are mostly for melting. Tin cages are also for melting and making bronze bars.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 08:44:54 am »

In the Things-to-buy-from-dwarves category, cats if you have a danger room. Also 3xbismuthinite just in case you get a mayor that likes bismuth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4