Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equiping non-military Dwarfs with weapons  (Read 915 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equiping non-military Dwarfs with weapons
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:38 am »

Is there any way to equip non-military Dwarfs, or at least my Sheriff, with weapons? It's been bugging me that my sheriff ran into battle unarmed and unarmoured to break up the mass tantrum spiral that almost ended my fort.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Equiping non-military Dwarfs with weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:31 am »

assign him to a squad, don't activate the squad

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:35:03 am »

Dive headfirst into the military screen(s)!

Put any & all dwarves in a squad, assign a uniform, give them a barracks if you want them to train, set their schedule to have no orders (x key) and don't activate the squad for completeness.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »

I wonder besides the military training, does  issuing flasks to the militia help its work efficiency? Less trips to the booze stockpile, during jobs, would me nice. As for a armed sheriff, it might turn out bad it some semi innocent dwarf gets beaten by the mace equipped sheriff, and gets killed, though a competent shield using Sheriff has its possibilities
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:13 am »

Simple solution, don't assign a sheriff. You never actually need one. The only possible crimes are failing to meet mandates and tantrums.

I'm not sure if flask/waterskins work, but backpacks are bugged. If you try changing the amount of food a dwarf with a backpack holds, he will run around claiming every single last scrap of food in the fortress, so no one but him can eat, until you change the settings back.

That said, I've never seen a dwarf eat or drink from his waterskin/backpack.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:04:43 am »

That said, I've never seen a dwarf eat or drink from his waterskin/backpack.

I've only seen them do it when they've been on duty for a while. The squad is stationed somewhere, all blinking blue arrows, and as soon as I cancel orders they drink (instantly!) and go to refill waterskin.