Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bedrooms.  (Read 712 times)

Fortune

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bedrooms.
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:40 am »

Hiya, newbie here...

The wiki article on bedrooms has got me kind of confused, or at least the picture in the article. Basically, my main question is: Do dwarfs mind if other dwarfs walk through their bedroom? I'd like to set up my sleeping-cluster like so, but am unsure if it'll cause any problems:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And do I need doors, or are open tunnels fine?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:08:24 am »

Dwarves don't mind if others walk through their rooms, but if you want to contain the room designator doors are needed.

Fortune

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:28:30 am »

Alrighty, thanks a bunch.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:38:08 am »

A minor point, but having the rooms as "open" as that (not fully enclosed by walls) may reduce their value somewhat.  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d_Talk:Room#The_fine_art_of_dwarven_room_appraisal, which referred to an older version of Dwarf Fortress, but I'd imagine the principle would still hold.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:43:45 am »

A minor point, but having the rooms as "open" as that (not fully enclosed by walls) may reduce their value somewhat.  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d_Talk:Room#The_fine_art_of_dwarven_room_appraisal, which referred to an older version of Dwarf Fortress, but I'd imagine the principle would still hold.

I dont think it actually reduces the value, but a door increases it. I mean, a stone door is 10(?)dorfbucks, so a room of value 40 will increase to 50, and if the door is -stone door-(for example), it will increase the value of the room to 60, instead.

EDIT: Ah, ignore. I think you was saying about rooms with a entrace that is not a door. I'm sorry :-[
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:50:34 am by Davichococat »

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:56 am »

I dont think it actually reduces the value, but a door increases it. I mean, a stone door is 10(?)dorfbucks, so a room of value 40 will increase to 50, and if the door is -stone door-(for example), it will increase the value of the room to 60, instead.

EDIT: Ah, ignore. I think you was saying about rooms with a entrace that is not a door. I'm sorry :-[

Based on the linked research, only doors set to internal ever increase a room's value, and a hole in a wall with a door in it still counts as a hole for determining the "openness" of a room.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

A big grid like that might also have pathfinding slowdown, based on prior research of how the pathfinder works.
Getting rid of the horizontal connections reduces the number of possible paths to a room, which means that although the dorfs may have to walk a little farther, your FPS will be better.

Give them as few turns as possible, keep it at right angles, keep all doors lined up, and keep beds in the middle.

FPS won't be hurt with a small fort, but forts get big fast.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:12:21 pm »

Also, if you're looking for more value in your bedrooms, try to place it in magnetite or something, though you probably already knew this. What started as a 4x3 office with a conglomerate table and gypsum throne with magnetite walls and floors (normally a room that size would be meager, right?). And smoothing the walls and floors has turned it into a friggin' 4x3 throne room. :o
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:28:42 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.