Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magnetite rare?  (Read 1393 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Magnetite rare?
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

I just went to a flat 5x5 area with two sedimentary layers. Exploring 5 entire z-levels of limestone, I found 1 standard sized cluster of magnetite and countless clusters of bauxite and gypsum.

My other site which I settled on has no magnetite at all, but several bauxite clusters. Tons and tons of flux, and only a handful of scattered bits of hematite.

Is this some grand coincidence, or has magnetite become extremely rare in 33g?

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetite rare?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Maybe clusters of bauxite are becoming more common, simply forcing magnetite and hematite out for lack of room?

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

I always start in limestone areas and they seem to be packed full of the stuff.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

There seems to be less magnetite in the limestone/granite area that I parked in than there usually is in such places.  There's enough for a profitable steel industry, though, so it's really not too much of a problem.

I guess it makes things more interesting.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Well I'm getting loads of that stuff...
I'm Probably lucky...  :)
However I never get past 30 dwarves, they keep getting killed... either that or the game bugs out...  :(  (Damn Alpha! Killed all my fort the crash did...)
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Luck of the draw. From my experience, large swathes of the same biome (such as large sections of mountain ranges) tend to have a specific set of stone types which will show up even beyond what is displayed. In one section of the world map you might have tons of bauxite show up in just about any regional square and very little magnetite. If you're not finding what you're after, check another section of the world map a fair distance away from where you've been looking.

On a related note, if you want to see where almost all of the major map features (including hidden magma vents, water pools, chasms, and adamantine) are on the local map before embarking, check out 0x517A5D's cool new utility: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:0x517A5D#Seekret_Projekt
Amazing little tool there.  :)

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 02:45:00 am »

As I understand it, last version there was a bug that made only 1 type of material appear per layer (or something like that) and it was magnetite for limestone (and maybe some others?). Now that bug is fixed, so you see magnetite less, because you are supposed to see it less.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
<STRONG>From my experience, large swathes of the same biome (such as large sections of mountain ranges) tend to have a specific set of stone types which will show up even beyond what is displayed.

Now that's interesting.  I had thought it was just random.  (Fixed for a particular location, though.)  Hmmm, I wonder....

quote:

On a related note, if you want to see where almost all of the major map features (including hidden magma vents, water pools, chasms, and adamantine) are on the local map before embarking, check out 0x517A5D's cool new utility: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:0x517A5D#Seekret_Projekt
Amazing little tool there.   :)</STRONG>

:blushes
So much praise, and I haven't even released it yet.  Well.  The current version does have a bug, so be sure to download the release version Christmas day.  Late in the day, probably.  I'm not Saint Nick, I don't get up at 4AM to deliver my gifts.