Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Naming Weapons?  (Read 2198 times)

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Naming Weapons?
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what exactly happens to a weapon if a Dwarf names it?  I had a spear dwarf name his Silver Spear (which killed a Hill Titan) recently.

Does it confer any bonuses, or is it just named?
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Naming Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

The jury's out, but I do believe they gain modifiers, like mini-artefacts.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:03 pm »

Thanks.  Much appreciated!
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

I think if the speardwarf that owns use it lose the spear he will get bad thoughts and the spear can only be used by the urist that uses it. Not sure though, I'm noob in military, try checking the wiki.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »

It has no bonuses like an artifact. Just the name.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:22:57 pm »

The jury's out, but I do believe they gain modifiers, like mini-artefacts.
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress wiki on Weapon-Dwarf relationships
Dwarves can become attached to a weapon, even a low quality weapon, which can make it difficult or impossible to get them to upgrade later.

In addition, the game tracks kills not only by entity but also by weapon. A weapon that has racked up enough kills might be named by its wielder. When this happens the game will pause and bring up a dialog box, similar to discovering a new cavern. Once named, the weapon will appear in the artifact list, albeit in blue.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:30:38 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »

That weapon has ONE kill associated with it.  And the kill was made several dwarf years ago.

So I would imagine that there are OTHER factors to the naming of weapons than simply kills.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:12 pm »

It's tentative and I'm only guessing, but I'd imagine that weapon/gear naming is based on killcount, what those kills were, and the number of combat rounds the object has featured in.  I'm basing this on my experiences with danger rooms, which gave me a noticeable amount of "Urist has grown attached to an XXX" (which i think is required for artifact naming) at around 30 pages.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:01 pm »

It's tentative and I'm only guessing, but I'd imagine that weapon/gear naming is based on killcount, what those kills were, and the number of combat rounds the object has featured in.  I'm basing this on my experiences with danger rooms, which gave me a noticeable amount of "Urist has grown attached to an XXX" (which i think is required for artifact naming) at around 30 pages.
More than that. I had a miner grow attached to a pick once. He was never involved in battle as far as I can remember.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:39:02 pm »

The spear that got named was never given a "dwarf got attached to" tag.  And it was only ever in the one battle, and one kill.

So, perhaps there are more forces at work here than "dwarf is attached to" and "it's based on kills"?

I especially am a bit wary to say it revolves around kills, when the one kill it made was made several dwarf years ago.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »

Dwarves can become attached to a weapon, even a low quality weapon, which can make it difficult or impossible to get them to upgrade later.

In addition, the game tracks kills not only by entity but also by weapon. A weapon that has racked up enough kills might be named by its wielder. When this happens the game will pause and bring up a dialog box, similar to discovering a new cavern. Once named, the weapon will appear in the artifact list, albeit in blue.

What does that quote have to do with mine?

The spear that got named was never given a "dwarf got attached to" tag.  And it was only ever in the one battle, and one kill.

So, perhaps there are more forces at work here than "dwarf is attached to" and "it's based on kills"?

I especially am a bit wary to say it revolves around kills, when the one kill it made was made several dwarf years ago.

Randomness might be one of those forces. Perhaps it has a small chance of becoming named even after the first kill, like a completely unskilled dwarf has a chance of making a masterwork. Or maybe sparring beforehand contributed to it. I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:23:48 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 11:31:30 pm »

What does that quote have to do with mine?
Accidently quoted you instead of Rowanas.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

More kills->more likely to be named?

Used more->more likely to be come attached?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

From what I understand it is a function of three things:

1.) Kills
2.) Time equiped
3.) Preference a.) material the weapon is made out of, any materials decorating the weapon, weapon type, etc).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »

1.  1 Kill.
2.  Probably about 2 years, the guy is a member of my speardwarf squad and I told them to use "any metal" for spears, so he's got this silver spear.
3.  I don't know the preferences of him, but perhaps he likes silver.

In any case, I'm surprised my female Silver Longsword user didn't name her weapon instead.  She's killed far more enemies and is attached to her weapon.

Oh well though.

Although, I do have another question.  If I decide to melt down said named silver spear...  Would the dwarf that named it get an unhappy thought?
Pages: [1] 2