Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)  (Read 49760 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2016, 03:07:08 pm »

No, clay, stone, ores and minerals don't respawn, we don't think that would seem realistic. However, many of these resources, such as clay, bog iron and peat  can be extracted indefinitely if you find a resource deposit where a 'pit' or mine can be built.  (In the new update, we've made it easier to find these 'places of interest' when you use the EXAMINE action.)
So you have to find a 'clay deposit' and build a clay pit there.
Ahh right, so there IS a way to do it. That's all fine then. :)

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2016, 03:21:31 pm »

I'm glad that you are interested in the pottery 'crafting'. I spent some time researching it before it was put in last year. For example, the potter's wheel is a European/Asian tool which is not actually necessary to make good pottery if you do it the African way. So it has been omitted. Of course, we might want to add a more advanced pottery workshop at some point.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:52:11 pm by MoPed_UnclaimedWorld »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:09 pm »

I'm glad that you are interested in the pottery 'crafting'. I spend some time researching it before it was put in last year. For example, the potter's wheel is a European/Asian tool which is not actually necessary to make good pottery if you do it the African way. So it has been omitted. Of course, we might want to add a more advanced pottery workshop at some point.
Hell yeah. As the tribe's knowledge expand let me start decorating them, glazing, etc. I do this in Dwarf Fortress too, exporting finely crafted earthenware crafts. Mugs, jugs, other vessels of various type all decorated with gems and glass beads and stuff.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2016, 03:50:30 pm »

Yes, making 'pretty' objects will make sense once we expand our 'comfort' system. Currently, the settlers' 'comfort' is influenced by mainly housing quality, beds and stimulants such as coffee and alcohol, but we want to expand it so that it includes 'pretty things', hygiene and entertainment. Colonists who have high principles of 'comfort' will want to have beautiful items around them. Hopefully, we will have time to include this in the game.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2016, 11:48:01 am »

///NEW UPDATE RELEASED: 0.9.0.0: 'Alluvial Plain' map. Increased performance ///

Read the full patch list here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/284100/announcements/detail/930377452806948380

-The settlers in the 'Fields of Tau Ceti' sandbox now have a new map that they can settle, called Alluvial Plain.
-A new type of farming makes it possible to grow the so-called favorbread vegetables in woodland areas.
-We've also ported the game from XNA to MonoGame, which increases performance on the large maps as well as giving many other benefits.

I'm playing the new map in this 'Dev Plays' video and demonstrating a lot of the new mechanics along the way:
https://youtu.be/fgTCQeLfOXE

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2016, 06:52:42 am »

I watched the video on my phone, I couldn't see much  :P
 But I noticed one thing, well ok, two.
The windows seem locked in place.
They don't seem to resize.
When you had windows open, you did ALOT of up/down scrolling!!!

Allow players to move the windows wherever they want. Let them resize them.
The pop up windows should auto expand or just be enlarged to hold the whole list if possible. Try to eliminate that list scrolling!!
And IF you have to scroll a window...can you hover the cursor and without clicking in it, just scroll?
Do you have to click an item THEN scroll?
Or god forbid, is the only option clicking the up/down arrows?
If they have to scroll, make it as easy as possible.
Not sure if some lists could benefit from color coded text, or not.

Maybe someday I'll have a net connection other than my phone, and I can give some better feedback.
Built my computer for a game called X3 Terran Conflict. But the windows locked in place, and all that scrolling thru a list (that would fit in an enlarged one) after list, absolutely killed it for me.
I played with over twenty addons for bugfixing, added gameplay elements
Never found a windows one(hardcoded) if I had, I wouldn't be helping you out, I'd STILL be playing X3:TC. period.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:56 am »

Hi. I'm surprised you're able to see anything on a phone, in that case the UI design must be pretty solid, after all...

The windows seem locked in place.
They don't seem to resize.

The green pop-up windows can be moved around, and in the next version we'll put in a 'pin' button that allows you to sticky them and keep them open, for easy reference. It's correct that they don't resize, currently.
The big panels on the right side of the screen are locked in place and size, for now.

And IF you have to scroll a window...can you hover the cursor and without clicking in it, just scroll?
Yes, you just hover on the up/down arrows or just use the mouse scroll wheel.

In addition to your suggestion about the player resizing the windows and some more color-coding text, we have these ideas to reduce the list scrolling and make it quicker to find the stuff you're after, for example:

-a search field in the production manager panel that allows you to type in the name of an item to locate it.
-production order slider directly on the item's pop-up window so you don't need to go to the production manager panel to order more.

We're currently focusing a lot on usability as part of the final polish, so it's good to get feedback about this.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:17:07 am by MoPed_UnclaimedWorld »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2016, 12:15:15 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Guess a 2x3 screen isn't that bad huh?
The upcoming changes sound like a big step in the right direction.
I'm hoping to have real (pc) net access in a couple months.
In the mean time I'll do a bit more research into this amazing game you're working on!
Do you have any more useful links for the curious among us?

Thanks again,
  Goatmaan
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:18:19 pm by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2016, 04:25:26 am »

Cool, if you want to know more about the game you can explore the top menu buttons on our website: www.unclaimedworld-game.com
You can also see how the game has developed by looking at the News section on Steam, it logs all our patch announcements: http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/allnews/
(The most exciting things have been added in the past 6 months.)

Also, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter in the box on the right side of our website www.unclaimedworld-game.com
follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Unclaimed-World-155243427830051/?ref=mf
and twitter https://twitter.com/RefactoredGames
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:41:10 am by MoPed_UnclaimedWorld »

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2016, 01:48:32 pm »

A small update today, 0.9.0.3,  http://steamcommunity.com/games/284100/announcements/detail/930377794642445861
which adds some of the interface improvements to make life easier which we've recently talked about:

-you can now order production directly from the item's tooltip, no need to go into the Production manager panel.

-easier to keep track of what you're producing since you can now pin the tooltips and make them stay open. This helps if you have different crafting projects you want to keep an eye on. We think this is a simple way to address the suggestion made earlier in this thread:

I was thinking some kind of goalpost system would be nice as well, to guide/instruct the player. Something that allows you to pick a goal, say an early one might be mud brick production, and it would put up a tracked objective which listed the steps to attain that goal. It could be a little window on the side with something like:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2016, 02:27:30 pm »

Yay I helped!

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2016, 08:43:02 am »

With today's update 0.9.1.0 http://steamcommunity.com/games/284100/announcements/detail/930377969899944980
we continue improving the usability / UI , adding this:

-Stockpiles and trade storage can now have a limited amount of goods specified with a slider in the stockpile window
-Tools now have a list of all the objects/processes that they can be used for
-Some HUD (green pop-up) windows such as gather, stockpile, hunt are now resizable
-All HUD windows are now movable.

What we're currently working on: A new sandbox map where you manage a mining camp. It takes place among pioneers in the early days when the humans still had access to a lot of advanced weapons and equipment but the lack of resources had started to take its toll. They must add primitive technology to the mix.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2016, 07:30:40 am »

Nearly TWENTY Euro for a Early Access game? Thanks, but no thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2016, 08:10:45 am »

You say that like the price is unprecedented. I can recall a game or two that was ~$80 US on early access. If the value/cost doesn't work out for you, just wait until it does.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2016, 01:28:50 pm »

You say that like the price is unprecedented. I can recall a game or two that was ~$80 US on early access. If the value/cost doesn't work out for you, just wait until it does.

$90 US and it was more than the release price.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20