Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)  (Read 49767 times)

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unclaimed World [Sci-Fi Frontier Colony Sim] (aka Conlan's Claim)
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2016, 03:56:44 am »

Hi guys, dev here. Haven't checked in for a while but since this thread has been revived I just want to give a quick update on what will be in the upcoming version 0.8.0.0:

-Democracy (colonists will need to vote before the colony can advance to more sophisticated tech, such as going from hunter/gathering to agriculture)
-Automation (Gather and production can be set to a specific target amount. When the stockpiled amount goes below that number, they will automatically resume gathering/production).
-Workshop upgrades. A generic workshop building can be outfitted with different machines to make it into either a machinist, textile, carpentry or polymer workshop.
-House furniture upgrades. Increase comfort by adding beds or mats.
-Clay pit and peat pit structures that give a continuous supply of clay and peat
-Cotton fields and textile production.

...And of course the fix to the ultra-big screen crash that forsaken1111 reported.

by the way, I recently put together this new trailer that shows what the game looks like now:  https://youtu.be/aZKO57dd4wo

...I think we've come a long way!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2016, 06:28:28 am »

In fact I was messaged yesterday saying the resolution bug is fixed in the next release, so great turn-around time on that. I'm loving the direction you're going with the game and the politics aspect sounds fun. I'll enjoy running my society of techno-primitives.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2016, 06:52:34 am »

Great. Yeah, the politics system is also a way to make the game easier for new players because they can start in the 'survival' tech tier where there are less crafting options, so you can get familiarized with the basics. Later, you can invite more ambitious colonists and advance to higher tech, thereby opening many more crafting options.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2016, 07:41:50 am »

Great. Yeah, the politics system is also a way to make the game easier for new players because they can start in the 'survival' tech tier where there are less crafting options, so you can get familiarized with the basics. Later, you can invite more ambitious colonists and advance to higher tech, thereby opening many more crafting options.
I was thinking some kind of goalpost system would be nice as well, to guide/instruct the player. Something that allows you to pick a goal, say an early one might be mud brick production, and it would put up a tracked objective which listed the steps to attain that goal. It could be a little window on the side with something like:

Mud Brick Production

Gather Firewood - 10/10

Construct Kiln - 0/1
-Gather Stone - 0/1
-Gather Clay - 4/4

Construct Brick Mold - 0/1
-Gather Sticks - 1/1

Make Mud Bricks (Wet) - 0/6
-Gather Clay - 4/6

Make Mud Bricks - 0/6

Something like that for processing bog iron or making rubber parts or any other industry would be helpful. Yes you can chase down the production steps in the tooltips but it's kind of messy and confusing to do it that way. Or just a separate industry window which listed processes and products in a nice tree for each type of industry

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2016, 08:09:31 am »

It could be a little window on the side with something like:

I think this is a great idea. This could be used both in the tutorials and as a tool for the player to keep track of progress...maybe  when the player has a number of different production lines going at the same time, they could have a number of these windows to open and view.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2016, 08:17:22 am »

It could be a little window on the side with something like:

I think this is a great idea. This could be used both in the tutorials and as a tool for the player to keep track of progress...maybe  when the player has a number of different production lines going at the same time, they could have a number of these windows to open and view.
Indeed. Although the standing production orders coming in 0.8.0.0 will go a long way towards streamlining production, it would help to have an 'industry overview' window that the player could add goals and production lines to just to have an 'at a glance' monitor for things. I found myself missing production steps when wet bricks would finish and needed to be dried in the kiln, for example, because I was busy handling something else.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2016, 08:36:35 am »

Yeah a tool like that would be ideal because it helps new players as well as experienced players. Maybe also let the player set an alert when certain things happen/goals are reached. If we want to continue to add hundreds of items it's vital that the player has ways to keep track of all the things.
Any other ideas/feedback is appreciated!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:05 pm »

It comes down to the various steps required for a production chain.  If anyone has played the ANNO series, you get what I mean.  However, that also requires you (the player) to have an overview of how far along each chain has progressed as well.  The visual aspect of the ANNO series means that just a look is enough, but for Unclaimed World it'll be different.  You have a whole bunch of characters running around, fullfilling different things all at the same time, so an overview panel is basically required as you get into the mid to late game.  Otherwise it'll be nearly impossible to keep track of it all directly.

That said, you are playing a basically omni-present overlord in UW, so having that overview makes sense from a story standpoint as well as a practical and gameplay one.  Perhaps when you open up one of the panels it highlights the various steps already taking place.  The characters digging out the raw materials could be highlighted in blue, then the first production building could be highlighted in yellow, and on to orange then red for finished production and then perhaps purple for where it's being stored.  That'd show a comprehensive view of each step in the chain, as well as allow warnings to appear if there's a snag somewhere.  Like if an animal attack damages a production building or module.  You'll be able to pin-point it easily.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »

Its been... at least 5 years.  Sounds like this is finally starting to come together.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2016, 04:06:36 pm »

We already have a number of ways you can get feedback about your production, such as the task manager, production manager etc, but we would like to keep improving this part of the game, so we will do some UI layouts once this next update is out and see if we can nail down ways to improve it, such as the milestone list mentioned above or Viken's suggestion about a screen that shows active production chains.

@Zangi   Yeah, we've gotten some very good player reviews this past half a year so we definitely think we are ready to wrap up the game and release it soon, then go for post-release content and patches.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:30:04 am by MoPed_UnclaimedWorld »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2016, 05:52:24 am »

I have to ask... why do the guys in the Clay Pit scenario have a solid gold cooking pot?

I feel like that wouldn't work out well.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2016, 07:24:09 am »

Is there a sandbox mod in this, or only missions?
Make love not war

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2016, 08:07:17 am »

@forsaken1111  Gold is a very common metal on the planet, and has no special value in itself, so their gold pot only has value from being useful for cooking.

@miljan  We don't have mods. (But would like to at one point, probably after release from early access.)

All maps apart from the 2 first tut scenarios can be played 'as sandboxes' any way you want and for as long as you like. (the 2nd tut scenario (the Clay Pit) also has sandbox mode once the objective is done.)
We also have a map called 'Fields of Tau Ceti' which has no objectives at all (only 'suggested strategies').

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2016, 08:56:23 am »

Ahh alright, didn't know gold was so common there. I wonder how that could have come about as its a very rare metal in the universe. Perhaps a mystery to be uncovered.

Another issue as I was replaying the Clay Pit scenario, I have had gather jobs that stop partway through the gathering process and never resume. I've also had zones which show resources but then tell me that they can't be gathered because there is no valid path, even if the resource appears to be right out in the open. I feel like the UI should check for a valid path and only show me what can actually be gathered.

MoPed_UnclaimedWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2016, 09:29:05 am »

Yes, since gold found in the crust of planets mostly come from meteors, the compositions of the meteors and the impacts that the planet experienced must have been different than what happened on Earth.

About the gather tasks that are not resumed, can you send us a save file where this issue occurs so we can have a look.  send it to:
support at unclaimedworld-game.com

About the inaccessible resources, we will try to improve the way this is displayed/handled, it's not a super easy thing though.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20