Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress  (Read 13403 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2011, 05:09:12 am »

I got cross-linked in from Penny Arcade to the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial.  That and the graphics pack are exceptionally handy for making sense of DF.
But you have a pest for you avatar. I thought you are used to playing with symbols, incomprehensible UI and excel?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2011, 11:26:03 am »

I got cross-linked in from Penny Arcade to the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial.  That and the graphics pack are exceptionally handy for making sense of DF.
But you have a pest for you avatar. I thought you are used to playing with symbols, incomprehensible UI and excel?
hey isn't that me?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:26 am »

Duh some of my classmates heard about minecraft ,  sure they didn't found out of DF, Im abit of hey wtf .

Hope i hit the point
Desu

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2011, 11:55:07 am »

Oh there are quite a few people out there who could understand DF if introduced and they had time to get interested. Out of personal experience, people who can understand my one-line description of DF can get into it: "it's a Monte Carlo fantasy novel simulator - push button, generate world, then step into it". Given that one-line is in the language of experimental particle physicists, you won't be finding such people on the streets with much frequency.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

I tried to explain Dwarf Fortress to my friends, they didn't understand, so I printed a picture of my fort, and they said to quote, "Ew, what the fuck is that shit?!  Why don't you buy Black Ops and play a decent game?"  I printed a screen shot of some combat records of a war tiger ripping an elf's throat out, they now won't stop talking about it.

I've had the same hurdle when showing younger people Darwinia.
I remember playing Darwinia. That game was amazing.
And on a different but still related note, someone should mod Darwinians into Dwarf Fortress.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

I tried to explain Dwarf Fortress to my friends, they didn't understand, so I printed a picture of my fort, and they said to quote, "Ew, what the fuck is that shit?!  Why don't you buy Black Ops and play a decent game?"  I printed a screen shot of some combat records of a war tiger ripping an elf's throat out, they now won't stop talking about it.

But it looks awful.  ::)

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

Three out of my seven closest friends play Dwarf Fortress. We're not sure who was the first to come across it among us.

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:02 pm »

I guess the "problem" with DF is the steep learning curve (which also includes to learn to read "the code"). There is us: gamers who like a challenge and complexity; there are others who want to jump in and play. I cant blame them, as really complex games were things of the 90s.
I wasnt overwhelmed because Im used to weird UIs (thank you Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry!) but I can feel for people who just game from time to time. Lets face it, we are DF-fanciers (sp?).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

I've attempted to get my siblings interested in DF. Not even the mighty Bloodfist was enough to convince them to try it out.

However, at least one of my brothers have attempted to play the game, and had his bit of fun. His forts looked similar to some of my first forts, so I knew how new he was to the game. I tried further educating him on the game by attempting a succession fort, but we only made it to the 3rd or 4th year (fort was abandoned overall; lost interest, I think). I took the odd years.

I had a good game plan, but the location was dry and lacking a brook or river, and the magma was a bit of a challenge to reach; however, I did get to have my leader tear apart an entire raid of dark gnomes, and had my brother witness the carnage of 1 dwarf against many. I think he still tries to play the game, especially since I told him about the more advanced adventure mode of the recent version.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:13:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »

But .. looks awful.

looks awful.
yo, ya talking of beginner's impression of DF or somethin'?
(just kidding).
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »

That comment hurt me deep inside.
I thought the retro graphics were amazing, considering where the game was based.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »

I explained it to my art school friends as high modernism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Malevich.black-square.jpg  About the same idea with the ASCII
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:53 pm »

why is there: :Беларуская: Чорны квадрат: written there?
and why the hell is it...
oh.
shit.
(hint: I can read all the words in this post.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »

Oh there are quite a few people out there who could understand DF if introduced and they had time to get interested. Out of personal experience, people who can understand my one-line description of DF can get into it: "it's a Monte Carlo fantasy novel simulator - push button, generate world, then step into it". Given that one-line is in the language of experimental particle physicists, you won't be finding such people on the streets with much frequency.

Actually Monte Carlo's are common in most of the science and engineering fields.  Given how most Monte Carlo simulations turn out, that is a surprisingly succinct description of Dwarf Fort.  I'll have to remember that one for the next time I try to explain this thing to someone else.

Harry Voyager

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »

That comment hurt me deep inside.
I thought the retro graphics were amazing, considering where the game was based.

I did use an 'eye roll' emote. Did you see it?

I personally love Darwinia and how it looks. I also like DF with tilesets as I did not grow up with ASCII games. I grew up with stuff from Spiderweb Soft. and Bullfrog.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9