Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress  (Read 13410 times)

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone but us understand Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:07 am »

I tried to explain Dwarf Fortress to my friends, they didn't understand, so I printed a picture of my fort, and they said to quote, "Ew, what the fuck is that shit?!  Why don't you buy Black Ops and play a decent game?"  I printed a screen shot of some combat records of a war tiger ripping an elf's throat out, they now won't stop talking about it.

This hints at a deep, important aspect to Dwarf Fortress.

In dwarf mode, the game paints its action in two complementary ways. The first is a spatial representation of the fantasy world, painted in symbols; the second is a descriptive text or combat report: procedurally generated, utilitarian verse.

On one screen, a fight between an army of dwarves and a siege of goblins bloodily unfolds in a near-incomprehensible, rosy mess, an alphabet soup with tomato base, noodles run amok. On another, the same battle is a near-interminable, prosy mass of horrific combat reports -- a War and Peace of gore and pieces.

The magic lies in the synthesis. How much fun would Dwarf Fortress be to learn if it had no written explanations, or if it was wholly restricted to them? Through heroic efforts studying dense screens of code and connecting it to richly written descriptions, the player not only begins to understand, they begin to imagine. A unique world arises in the player's mind, functional and recreative, borne on both the game's graphics and text, unlike either.

The phenomenon of any person's Dwarf Fortress comes within a stone's throw of a boundary beyond both picture art and literature, combining the two in a way only Roguelikes can. This is by way of a fantastic alchemie that is only in its least parts contained in the game itself. It is an ephemeral form of, an opportunity for, art that even a film critic couldn't imagine. Tarn and company can fit through the eye of a needle larger game developers have spent years running away from.

If someone is turned off of Dwarf Fortress by the ASCII graphics, it is because they did not actually see the game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:14:01 am by Funburns »

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2011, 08:53:14 am »

I tried to explain Dwarf Fortress to my friends, they didn't understand, so I printed a picture of my fort, and they said to quote, "Ew, what the fuck is that shit?!  Why don't you buy Black Ops and play a decent game?"  I printed a screen shot of some combat records of a war tiger ripping an elf's throat out, they now won't stop talking about it.

In dwarf mode, the game paints its action in two complementary ways. The first is a spatial representation of the fantasy world, painted in symbols; the second is a descriptive text or combat report: procedurally generated, utilitarian verse.

On one screen, a fight between an army of dwarves and a siege of goblins bloodily unfolds in a near-incomprehensible, rosy mess, an alphabet soup with tomato base, noodles run amok. On another, the same battle is a near-interminable, prosy mass of horrific combat reports -- a War and Peace of gore and pieces.

The magic lies in the synthesis. How much fun would Dwarf Fortress be to learn if it had no written explanations, or if it was wholly restricted to them? Through heroic efforts studying dense screens of code and connecting it to richly written descriptions, the player not only begins to understand, they begin to imagine. A unique world arises in the player's mind, functional and recreative, borne on both the game's graphics and text, unlike either.

The phenomenon of any person's Dwarf Fortress comes within a stone's throw of a boundary beyond both picture art and literature, combining the two in a way only Roguelikes can. This is by way of a fantastic alchemie that is only in its least parts contained in the game itself. It is an ephemeral form of, an opportunity for, art that even a film critic couldn't imagine. Tarn and company can fit through the eye of a needle larger game developers have spent years running away from.

If someone is turned off of Dwarf Fortress by the ASCII graphics, it is because they did not actually see the game.

I quote this because it is incredibly quoteable, and probably the best possible description of the Dwarf Fortress Experience.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2011, 09:48:34 am »

Hmm, I tried to get a friend to try it once. He ended up deleting it from his computer, stating that he couldn't understand the UI. >:(

All the cool gamers go to my sisters school (MIU), where apparently about 50% of the graphic design students play df. :o
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2011, 10:11:12 am »

I've introduced my neighbor to it.
And friends too.
((I haven't read the whole thread.))

I made sure to use the Lazy Newb Pack. Plus I accidentally got him to waste spend $20 on a 3-hour phone call. then we realized it would work on skype. *facepalm*
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:21 am »

I had the ingame help and my girlfriends teachings and I got into it just fine.
*Hugs*

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:21 am »

oh yeah, the "Shift-?" help.
I learned that around 3 weeks ago and have been playing for quite a while.  ???... :o... :D
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2011, 11:31:28 am »

oh yeah, the "Shift-?" help.
I learned that around 3 weeks ago and have been playing for quite a while.  ???... :o... :D
Really?  I hit the thing all the time by accident when going up or down levels with the lights off...

@Topic, I've tried introducing friends to it but they didn't take to it :(

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2011, 04:25:20 pm »

I'm the only person I have physical contact with who knows about/plays dwarf fort. I think once you fully understand that there is no option but losing, you really start to enjoy it. Which most people dont get.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »

I just tell people that this game is a super-advanced version of sudoku.  They usually think "Oh! Sudoku! I've heard of that."

Uristisdying

• Bay Watcher
  • [WOTCHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »

I have nothing to add. While writing is what I do for a living, your post is admirable, cuddly, and simply thread-destroying. I salute you.  :)
Never trust a grinning dwarf. It is always planning something.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 12:53:28 am »

I think I've successfully converted one of my more... dwarven friends.

I gave him the Lazy Newb Pack (and the vanilla) on a flash drive (he's got terrible internet), and he was incredibly happy about it, talking about it all day and asking a bunch of questions. He was then mysteriously absent the next day.

He seems like the type who would enjoy a good !!elf genocide!!.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2011, 01:33:16 am »

I've had the same hurdle when showing younger people Darwinia.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2011, 01:47:36 am »

just got another one. I told him that it was like CivCity which was waay more complex and had waay worse graphics.

I got him the LNP and he was like.... holy shit this is hard.
I think what saved him was that he played actual Konsole (i.e. Command Prompt) games in linux.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:56 am »

I tried to introduce a friend to DF.  She was using Mayday's graphics, so it wasn't a horribly view, but she was undone by the act of placing stairs and changing the Z-level, and also unpausing.  She kept IM'ing me "nothing's happening" and I'd ask "Is it still paused?"  Funny, she plays Sim City like it's going out of style, but DF eludes her.  It almost eluded me, with the way that the various controls are different.  Like, to cancel a command in a workshop, you hit "c" for cancel, but in the manager window you hit "r" for remove.  There's stuff like that around the game that makes it look like a dozen different people each made a line of code and then it collected together like some magma-bloated singularity, and DF exploded out.  I prefer to call it "quirky" though, now that I've gotten a bit of a handle on the basic UI.

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2011, 03:55:50 am »

I got cross-linked in from Penny Arcade to the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial.  That and the graphics pack are exceptionally handy for making sense of DF.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9