Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 28726 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2012, 11:31:35 pm »

Two nights ago I had a weird dream as a result of my mind trying to correlate everything in my life.  I am currently re-playing Might & Magic VI, re-reading the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony, and of course keeping track of the Development Log of Dwarf Fortress and also world current events. 

In Might & Magic VI, the overhead map is a white line drawing on a blue background.  The dungeons are often rather complex and multi-leveled, which makes for a very confusing map.  In my dream I lived in some kind of large, complex estate house.  I could see on my map of the house, which was the familiar white line drawing, that there were some people in a room that I had not explored.  However, instead of these people being represented as red (enemy), green (friendly), or yellow (dead) dots, they were capital letters in the exact font that I see when I play Dwarf Fortress.  Specifically, they were "E", and I knew in the dream that they were Elves (which are not in MM6).  I got someone to investigate and it turned out that these were a group of potential household employees (migrants?) who had gotten lost in the basement on a tour of the place.  They had been locked into this room for over a year and had given birth to children during that time.  They were living on rats that they caught from an heretofore unknown area below their room.  Among the potential employees was one woman in a wheelchair who was carrying a rake and insisted that she wanted to be a manure spreader in the gardens.  I asked her if she was sure she could handle that job from a wheelchair, and she insisted she could.  I asked her how she was going to get over "that", which turned out to be a rather deep, raw earthen ditch across the front lawn.  Presumably this represented the Gap Chasm in Xanth.  About that time a man representing my husband (he didn't look anything like my husband, or anyone else I know) came into the story.  He apparently managed the financial affairs of the estate.  There was some debate over whether these people should be paid for the year they were locked in the basement.  I said yes.  About that time one of the cats woke me up, so I don't know how life progressed for those imaginary people from then onward.

Edit: Fixed typos.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:37:35 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

re-reading the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony

Did you also dream about an underage girl perhaps? Being stuck in a virtual dwarf fortress fending for your life?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »

He did seem to become stuck on underage girls, didn't he.  I began to worry about him when that happened.  But no, the particular novels I have re-read recently do not have that aspect.  They suffer instead from an excess of puns.  I mean, yes, puns are fun, but let's have a little more prose in between them.  He is not one of my favorite authors, but he was very prolific, and when I am glutted with more intense universes then his are a place for me to zone out.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:31 pm »

Anthony's obsession with underage girls didn't register when I was a kid reading the books... It seemed no weirder for kids to be running around naked having adventures than any of the other weird things in Xanth.

But as an adult they suddenly became kinda creepy.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »

Anthony's obsession with underage girls didn't register when I was a kid reading the books... It seemed no weirder for kids to be running around naked having adventures than any of the other weird things in Xanth.

Go back and watch Disney movies, they are worse.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »

Go back and watch Disney movies, they are worse.

The Disney villain takes the full force of the impact!
...-plodes in a shower of gore.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2012, 07:21:45 am »

I had a fort-managing dream a while back... There was some kind of a problem, I don't remember what exactly, that I was desperately trying to solve to no avail.
The fort was still in ASCII, but I seemed to have some kind of telepathic control over it instead of the normal monitor and keyboard setup.

In addition, I've developed an even greater appreciation for all things Dwarfy (i.e. needlessly complicated, wonderfully deadly, incredibly sadistic or all of the above) than before. Oh, and I occasionally narrate (in my thoughts) my RL goings-on in the style of the DF interface, e.g. "Sus cancels Sleep: Playing Dwarf Fortress", "Sus was caught in a snow storm recently"...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2012, 05:11:34 pm »

Oh well Sus, your fine till you start narrating out loud.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 05:45:33 pm »

I second Bombzero's notion.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:52 pm »

Had a dream that new version was released and I was playing adventurer mode. I was trying to light a fire and couldn't figure out how. Then I died. Somehow.  :-\
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:12 am »

I recently (like half an hour ago) began thinking of cool things for the final version of dwarf fortress while brushing my teeth. Five minutes later I realized I was still brushing my teeth. Apparently my mind had died an FPS death from all the processing it had to do.

But seriously, how cool would it be to start an adventure as an existing historical characterat a going away party with your family and relatives who all say different things based on their personalities and the history of the area and surrounding lands? Or have legendary items generated at the start of the world that are periodically sought after by strong warriors thus making whoever winds up with it at the end of worldgen stronger than any megabeast, or perhaps just a ruler with a large army like the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark...

I'm going to bed before I think about this again. My brain FPS is dipping below 99.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:37 am »

Last night I saw a dream about post-apocalyptic world, where the dwarves were living in a concrete factory surrounded by a deep quarry. I was their weaponsmith, and we were like short, bearded versions of Mad Max -characters with our spiked leather clothes. I worked on making electric swords with back-mounted batteries when a motorbike gang was spotted approaching our fort. It was unsure what they had come for, but it was most likely a siege, so we all grabbed weapons and headed to the walls to wait for their move.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:31 am »

I have an ingrained deeper respect for salt mines

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:48 am »

I had my first ever DF dream last night, and I haven't played for weeks (holding off the enthusiasm for 34.06).

A fortress was started with a population of one. An Elf vampire who somehow had passed inspection and was sent out as a Dwarf. Now this was a very odd embark, because in this land the Goblin civilization was just that, a proper civ. Right away I noticed there were a few non-military or badly equipped Goblins walking around, as well as a big Goblin cart being pulled along a road that came close to the fortress.

The idea of the fortress was that this vampire should remain the ONLY occupant. Huge, ornate architecture that would accomodate hundreds was merely made to instill a sense of loneliness and contrast when the vampire roams the halls in solitude. He was kind of a badass, as well. He carried a longbow and a working tool that looked like a military hammer made out of heavy metal, may have been silver or steel, that worked very well as a weapon. I watched him go outside and dispatch two humanoids (not sure what they were exactly) with clean headshots, and then a Goblin with equal grace just by driving the tool's spike through the skull with the first swing.

Later came about 20 more Dwarves which annoyed me greatly. Lots of mining was done, and they had some mages with them that were ordered to carve out large chunks of earth and stone with a cone of fire spell. I told them to use that spell on ore veins, only to find out that it produced no stone at all. It just eradicated stuff.

When waking up, there were still elaborate plans in my head on how to spread the vampiric disease to those Dwarven elite warriors that had grown strong enough to receive it. Something about pouring vampire blood into a water basin and making that place the part of some militaristic ascension ritual. Will have to recreate this soon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:17:59 am by xordae »

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:11 am »

This was a few weeks ago, but I went down to Jamaica for reading week. As we were driving to the resort, the bus driver pointed out an open mine not too far from the sea. Jamaica exports limestone. My initial thought was "wow, what a great embark site. It's got flux, probably has iron, a fair number of trees, plus the ocean to provide fish". My next thought was "holy crap I play too much DF".
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11