Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 28722 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:24 pm »

Be glad your dreams don't look like minecraft and your fortress is being invaded by creepers and spiders and your squad only has leather armor.

I'm overdue for a dwarf fortress/minecraft crossover dream by 2 days.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2013, 02:24:25 am »

I saw a dream that I was one of the 30 dwarves living in a fortress. We had built an amateurish wooden structure aboveground from scrap boards, but it didn't matter because the main fort was naturally underground. While excavating more livingspace to the east, we discovered an underground cavern with human-built structures. There was a modern day apartment building and a portion of a huge concrete dam buried by time.

From the house we discovered amazing artifacts like plastic canteens, disposable razors and household electronics which were perplexing enough even without power to use them. As for the dam, I guess someone found a lever to pull...

A small, wide hatch opened at the bottom of the dam, and I heard water gushing forth from it. It's a good thing I started running in time, because soon the entire side of the dam burst open, smashed by a huge wave of water. It hit the building, collapsing it and killing many dwarves hauling inside, but by the time the water reached the fort its pressure had lowered enough to merely flush me onto the central dining room floor.

About two thirds of the dwarves had died on that incident and some considered abandoning the fortress, but I convinced them that we could just expand to the west instead. Besides, I still considered this site too valuable to lose because of the human ruins we had found. When the life had returned to mostly normal, I occasionally snuck out to the now wrecked building to bring in whatever artifacts had survived its collapse. I also found wide, round tunnels with black and yellow paintwork snaking further into the ground, but there were mechanical-looking four-legged spiders in the darkness so I didn't dare to go there alone.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2013, 04:01:21 am »

...is that, by any chance, the grand coolee(spelling?) dam?

Floating blocks above a glacier.  There were wolves, and cage traps scattered around.  the cage traps were ASCII, the wolves were not.  (I can't remember if the wolves were more real life wolves or more like minecraft wolves).
when I woke up, I was shivering.

At least I didn't dream I was embarking in a glacier and abandoning, embarking in a desert and abandoning, embarking in a glacier and abandoning, embarking in...

Yeah. My house is too sleepy to have a thermostat war. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2013, 10:02:02 pm »

It's been a long time since the last DF-related dream, but here it is:

Someone had made a mod with a tribal barbarian civilization, that used war paints and rituals to empower their most experienced warriors. The point was that only a few of them would survive to become near invincible gods of death, which in my opinion made the game intrinsically unbalanced.

The game also had an inbuilt editor now, with an interface modeled after the Warcraft 1 orc gui. The simple drop down menus allowed modding things currently unavailable in the raws, including selecting a job target (workshop, animal, dwarf, tree...) and typing in the thoughts the dwarf would get from it. Because the new system allowed it, I thought of modding in a joke job "fuck trees" that would give dwarves happy thoughts from using a tree.

Anin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:28 pm »

I can remember after playing for a month I passed out on night while working on my fortress at the time and dreamed that I had made it to the 40th year, and had an entire legion of admantine armored dwarves but with wooden weapons for some reason.  We were nearly perfectly walled in and were under siege by goblins on flying monsters of some kind and were taking some heavy losses. I told them to shut the door and every dwarf that started to pull the lever went on break then I woke up to find all my Dwarves had starved to death.
Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2014, 01:12:00 pm »

I started reading the story of Blockedlance ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28365.0 ) yesterday, and it clearly affected my dreams...

I had traveled with Rainbow Dash to the entrance of an old fortress. The land was charred black, littered with burnt camel corpses, and was literally radiating evil. Still, something in this very ominous place had drawn us to it.

The fortress was built along a double staircase, with progressively wider floors spreading from it in a pyramid shape. It wasn't abandoned, but inhabited by zombielike dwarves lumbering around performing their unholy tasks. When the dwarves refused to notice us, the hot-blooded pegasus kicked one, snapping its neck and killing it instantly. I held my breath in terror of getting the entire fortress against us while still inside it, but the catatonic dwarves didn't even react.

At this point I woke up and jumped at my phone; It should have woken me in time to take the control, but now I couldn't even FIND the fortress controls from it! It took about five seconds to realize that it had all been a dream, and I went back to bed.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:01 pm »

I had the most wonderful ASCII dream about a year ago, with shining blue running water fountain tiles. It was clearly a very extended ASCII. It was like a Dwarf-Roman city square. And whatever character I inhabited was riding an ASCII carriage through the woods right outside the square. Probably that was influenced by Skyrim. But alas, it was a year ago, and a short dream, and I cannot remember much in the way of details. I want to dream in DF again...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »

I had a dream where i had built a perfect fort, everything was built absolutely perfectly. I was even wondering how could i come up with such beautiful design, but progressively after each minute of being awake the memories got blurry to the point where now i can only clearly remember my excellent barracks on a mountain with about 40 dwarves in a rectangular position synchronously repeating martial arts moves (this was probably inspired from a movie) with a badass ninja in front instructing them and also my huge dining hall with an arena in the middle of it (im currently using this design because of the dream).

Kerbalrocketry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 06:29:34 am »

"Do Dwarf Fortress Players Dream of ASCII Sheep?"

Dwarf Fortress has made me a bit of a fantastic racist, in that I've developed a deep distrust of Elves.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2014, 01:05:52 am »

It's been a long time, but I saw yet another DF/MLP crossover dream...

The ponies had started digging a fortress near a modern human city. Rarity had discovered a batch of gems she really wanted to the south, but digging to them would require digging through a human sewer pipe filled 1/7 with dark green waste. I decided that if Rarity wanted the gems so bad, she could mine them herself. She started digging towards the sewer, and Fluttershy discovered a vein of unknown ore along the wall of the tunnel.

I was also a little worried about how humans would react to us breaching their sewer pipe, but I figured they wouldn't mind as long as the sewage kept flowing away from their city.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2014, 01:35:32 am »

Its effect in me is mostly procrastination.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

It's effect on me is mostly in waiting for the next version. And then modding the carp out of it until dwarfs start shooting Master Sparks.
._.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:00 pm »

Spearbreakers has given me a few funky dreams, mostly dealing with what happens when Mr Frog decides to test his latest concoction on his 'test subjects'.

It isn't pleasant.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2014, 07:48:53 am »

Necroing this thread with my FOURTH DF/MLP crossover dream...

The game had 8-bit looking graphics with animated characters, and I had built a small but successful fortress of ponies. A miner breached the caverns, where a giant cavespider hanging around a river was inexplicably shown as a light green letter S. I decided to go kill it with an adventurer, and ordered the ponies to safety on the surface, where they spontaneously started a ballgame while waiting.

My adventurer arrived at the castle yard, jumped over a trench (I remember rejoicing over how much that little ability has brought to the game) and headed inside. I got down into the caverns, but before getting to the spider I encountered an earth elemental. I hadn't seen one before so I read its description, which said it was a bulky humanoid composed of moss and plant matter, and that eating its innards could cure any disease. This was better than I could have expected, because the adventurers father was deathly sick, and this twist of events was so good it seemed almost scripted. I woke up before killing either of the beasts, but it was a nice dream and I think having a reason to hunt titans and forgotten beasts would be a nice addition to the game.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:54 am »

I had a dream that I was living alone in a large, sprawling dwarf fortress.  My mental map of the place was all in ASCII and all my foods were little alphas and division symbols. Then, someone showed up with some ancient tomes detailing the location of seven magical MacGuffins that I needed to find in order to get the Big Magical MacGuffin to take over the world with, so I started packing my dwarven rum roasts and sunshine barrels and was going to leave when I discovered that I had, apparently, invited my parents to live with me in the fort a while back but had never noticed because the place was so damned huge.
Hah, laughed out load at the image of your parents suddenly popping up.

Last night I dreamed that I created a 6.7 GHz CPU using Alien (Shofixti) technology with some wierd non-even asynchronous L1 data and instruction caches and 256 MB of onboard 3000 Mhz (PC24K) memory.  It ran a 32x32 map with 207 Z-layers and HFS exposed, 800 dwarves and 1000+ animals at over 900 FPS.  I marketed it and became filthy rich until a dwarf came out of the game and attacked me.  He hacked off an arm and both legs before I could respond by throwing a Mtn Dew can and decapitating him.  Then I bled to death.

What is the worst imagineable?  I am not making this dream up.
The flying -Mountain Dew Can- strikes the dwarf in the head, and the severed part goes flying off in an arc!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11