Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whoops.  (Read 1029 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Whoops.
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »

Right then. Pretty straightforward screw-up here.

I accidentally (I'm actually perfectly serious about this) deconstructed a Trade Depot out from under the elves. Apparently my carpenter decided to take his time taking down the temporary depot and the elves picked it just as it was getting taken apart. Instead of the perfectly good Pitchblende depot 2 feet away.
Their goods are now exploded all over the area it used to be.
I'm not quite ready to start getting besieged yet (Shiny new fortress, more or less), so is there any way I can give them all their crap back? They moved to the proper trade depot right afterwards, so I'm wondering if I can trick them into trading me back my useless junk crafts I handed them in exchange for their junk.

Alternatively, what's a really fast way to elf-proof a fortress that doesn't require magma?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Whoops.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:48 pm »

Simple, seal off the entrance with a wall.

Also i don't think they would besiege you if this is your first.. uuh.. act against the elves..

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:42:48 pm »

Simple, seal off the entrance with a wall.

Also i don't think they would besiege you if this is your first.. uuh.. act against the elves..
First for this fortress, at least.

Regrettably, I'm largely stuck with above-ground farming at the moment, so that might have... ah... consequences... but I guess sealing the entrance would work.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:43:44 pm »

Elves are incredibly peaceful in the current version of the game. You could outright slaughter their traders and their only response will be to send you less cloth...meaning they'll send more exotic animals for you  :D

I've heard that in previous versions, you'd get an elven diplomat who would set a quota for the number of trees you can cut down. Cutting beyond this quota would anger them enough to go to war with you. The current version of the game lacks this diplomat, making it much harder to get the elves to hate you enough to go to war.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »

Elves are incredibly peaceful in the current version of the game. You could outright slaughter their traders and their only response will be to send you less cloth...meaning they'll send more exotic animals for you  :D

On second thought, maybe I won't return their goods. Sadly, all they had worthwhile were some sun berries and... tame roaches. :-\

Oh, and cloth. Obviously. Which is nice, since I haven't found any cloth-type plant seeds yet.

I've heard that in previous versions, you'd get an elven diplomat who would set a quota for the number of trees you can cut down. Cutting beyond this quota would anger them enough to go to war with you.
Which is one of the reasons I would normally mistreat them. Later in a fortress' life, that is. I'm not really new... Just wondering how to handle a situation. Although the last time a situation came up that was post-worthy, it... ah... well, it involved spoilers. Spoilers, bronze colossi, and depraved acts. :-\

edit: Scratch that, that wasn't the last time. The last time involved a blacksmith deciding to not work anymore.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:55:12 pm by Deimos56 »

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:49:20 am »

If they had sun berries, they were more useful than 90% of elven caravans.

But yeah, nobody would retaliate against you for seizing a single caravan, even the humans. There is some leeway.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:40:40 pm »

:o
After the elves left, I broke into the first cavern layer.
It's heavily coated in Giant Cave Spider webs and hostile amphibian men.
This is going to be one of those fortresses.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:33 pm »

Welcome to DF.

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:40:11 pm »

I've heard that in previous versions, you'd get an elven diplomat who would set a quota for the number of trees you can cut down. Cutting beyond this quota would anger them enough to go to war with you. The current version of the game lacks this diplomat, making it much harder to get the elves to hate you enough to go to war.

I was wondering what happened to that guy.
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35:01 am »

I was wondering what happened to that guy.
Evil  :D
Lava? 3th layer cave expedition? Dwarven atom smasher?  Who knows... :-\

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:09 am »

Maybe he accidentally stumbled into a Dwarven bedroom and his pansy nose couldn't stand the hearty odours of healthy sleep (and espousal gymnastics.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

Welcome to DF.
I have been welcomed before. Thanks, though. :D

Also, the elven diplomat's probably sitting in a cage trap in a pre-2010 fort, wondering where all the dwarves have gone...

Edit: Oh. Spoiler alert, by the way. ::)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:38:42 pm by Deimos56 »