Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Paranoia: Troubleshooters (Tabletop RPG)  (Read 9245 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Paranoia: Troubleshooters (Tabletop RPG)
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »

Paranoia

Since I'm bad at writing descriptions, I'll just copy/paste the one from Wikipedia:

---------------------------------------------------------------
"Paranoia is a dystopian science-fiction tabletop role-playing game originally designed and written by Greg Costikyan, Dan Gelber, and Eric Goldberg, and first published in 1984 by West End Games."

"The game's main setting is an immense and futuristic city called Alpha Complex, which is controlled by The Computer, a civil service AI construct. The Computer serves as the game's principal antagonist, and fears a number of threats to its 'perfect' society, such as The Outdoors, mutants, and secret societies (especially Communists). To deal with these threats, The Computer employs Troubleshooters, whose job is to go out, find trouble, and shoot it. Player characters are usually troubleshooters, although later game supplements have allowed the players to take on other roles.

Frequently the player characters receive missions that are incomprehensible, self-contradictory or fatal, issued equipment that is dangerous, faulty or "experimental" (i.e.: almost certainly dangerous AND faulty), and side-missions which conflict with any other instructions the players may have received. Additionally, each player character is generally an unregistered mutant and/or a secret society member, and has a hidden agenda separate from the group's goals, often involving stealing from or killing teammates. Missions can therefore turn into a comedy of errors as everyone on the team seeks to double-cross everyone else while keeping their own secrets. The game's manual encourages suspicion between players, offering several tips on how to make the gameplay as paranoid as possible.

Every player's character is assigned six clones, known as a "six-pack," which are used to replace the preceding clone upon his or her death. As a result, Paranoia allows characters to be routinely killed yet the player can continue instead of leaving the game. This easy spending of clones tends to lead to frequent firefights, gruesome slapstick, and the horrible yet humorous demise of most if not all of the player character's clone family.

The Paranoia rulebook is unusual in a number of ways; demonstrating any knowledge of the rules is specifically forbidden for players (and punishable by the summary execution of their character) and most of the rulebook is written in an easy, conversational tone that often makes fun of the players and their characters, while occasionally taking digs at other notable role-playing games."

Paranoia features a security clearance system based on colors of the visible spectrum which heavily restricts what the players can and cannot do; everything from corridors to food and equipment have security restrictions. The lowest rating is infrared but the lowest playable security clearance is red.

"The full order of clearances from lowest to highest is Infrared (visually represented by Black), Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, and Ultraviolet (visually represented by White). Within the game, infrared-clearance citizens live dull lives of mindless drudgery and are heavily medicated, and those with Ultraviolet clearance are almost completely unrestricted and have a great deal of access to The Computer; in fact, they are the only citizens that may (legally) access and modify the Computer's programming, and thus Ultraviolet citizens are also referred to as "High Programmers". Higher level citizens, especially those of Blue and above, can demote and or even summarily execute lower level citizens. Security clearance is not related to competence or even authority, though there is often a correlation; clearance is instead a measure of The Computer's trust in a citizen."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this gem today, a friend linked it to me and I've immediately struck interest in it. Since I've never played it, I can't say whether or not the game is good. :/

Anyone played/owned/heard of this game before? If so, how is it?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia: Troubleshooters (Tabletop RPG)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

I've heard it's good, but apparently you're not supposed to read the book unless you're the GM, so I never read through it in case I ever play.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »

We had a forum game of it a while ago, was fun even though I never knew what the hell was going on.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »

best.....................game....................................ever.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:59:56 pm »

best.....................game....................................ever.
I nuw rite!?

It seems very troll-ey.... probably why my friend linked it to me. =P

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:30 pm »

I've always wanted to play this, but could never get my gaming group to give it a go. :(

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:41 pm »

We could start another game here, although I think this would be a game best played with IRC.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 11:13:23 pm »

I heard good things about it, but never played and have always wanted to.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:47:12 pm »

I've always enjoyed dystopian fiction so this game appeals; I've had my eye on it for a while but never played.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 11:54:14 pm »

The Computer is your Friend.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 11:55:09 pm »

I can vouch that Paranoia is rather fun indeed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:09 am »

I'd consider running a game if I didn't suspect everyone who signed up to be a CMT.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:07 am »

Which edition (and or flavor) are we talking about here?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 12:41:21 am »

Preferably 25th, and Classic. 'Zap' just seems too hectic, and the other one (can't remember the name of it) is just too heavy, depressing, and storyline driven.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:44 am »

Capntastic is projecting!  Get the commie mutant traitor scum!

PS: Mmm, seaweedy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:46:24 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4