Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Marksdwaves respect ammo orders  (Read 646 times)

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Marksdwaves respect ammo orders
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:08:37 pm »

I just had a completely disasterous siege. I'm all for "fun" when its self-inflicted, or because of something unexpected, but I was prepared for this one and still failed because of my retarded dwarves.

Here's a screenshot of my "Sharpshooters" ammo screen:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8506/ammp.jpg

I've got them set to use wooden and bone bolts for training, and iron ones for combat. Because this is dwarf fortress, my dwarves managed to interpret these orders in the most annoying way possible. They used iron bolts for training, only using the wooden or bone bolts after the iron ones ran out, but then refused to use wooden or bone bolts for combat.

So;

- Can you see anything wrong with how i've set their orders?
- If I set them to use wooden and bone bolts for combat too, will they use those when the iron ones run out?
- Following on from the above, will they prefer to use the iron ones in combat over wood / bone?

Please help, as this is sloly drivving I insame.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Making Marksdwaves respect ammo orders
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »

It's a bug - dwarves will equip ammo permitted for either training or combat, and dwarves will always train using any equipped ammo.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »

Keep several stacks of ammo forbidden, then unforbid them when sieges come, so this doesn't happen again!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »

The general walkaround for this issue is to assign metal ammo first so they have higher priority, then assign other training ammo. Disable both C & T on metal ammo and only turn them back on during real fight. The crossbowmen will fire off equipped ammo then start using metal ones properly.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:57 am »

The general walkaround for this issue is to assign metal ammo first so they have higher priority, then assign other training ammo. Disable both C & T on metal ammo and only turn them back on during real fight. The crossbowmen will fire off equipped ammo then start using metal ones properly.

Good idea, thanks!