Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lashers  (Read 1337 times)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lashers
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:59:27 pm »

I know we had this before but...

8 steel clad dwarfs against 6 goblin lashers and the dwarfs all die leaving half of the goblins with bruises and the other half without a scratch. Reading through the combat logs i see not a single silver whip attack was deflected by the armor (not even on the dwarfs who had spent some time in the danger room already). All that was deflected were the random bite and punch attacks from the gobbos.

Gonna mod my next dwarfs to use whips themselves i guess.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Lashers
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:38:14 pm »

Whip it good.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »

Dwarfs can already use whips.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:00:09 pm »

Yep.
You've pretty much described lashers good. Due to a (probable) error in the RAWs, the whip has a surface of 1, the absolute smallest and a 5x speed multiplier. In fact, whips are so good,
THEY PENETRATE ARMOUR AND BREAK BONES!

Whips are probably supposed to cause severe pain, like they do in real life; not be bone-breaking killing machines. Hopefully, we'll expect it in a later patch.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »

Any thing that can pass the sound barrier, is gonna possess a load of kinetic energy(Crack of a whip). If the whip is metal tipped, its like a bolt on steroids.Look at the damage a musket ball could do
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:09:08 am »

So is there an easy way to mod this particular oddity out of a game-in-progress? I haven't met any lashers yet but when I do.... I worry.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:11:04 am »

You could always remove the exotic weapons tag from them, Nilik.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:54 am »

Try dividing the size by 10, I hear that works well.

EDIT: I meant weight, sorry.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:10:24 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 03:32:43 am »

Try dividing the size by 10, I hear that works well.

...You mean "multiplying," right?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 03:35:20 am »

Wait do you guys mean:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:39 am »

contact area (the 1) to 10
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:46:08 am »

makes sense, since the scourge uses that

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 07:11:58 am »

Contact area of 1cm^2 is on the low side but not that far off, 10 would be at the high end. Material and size are more dubious: Flexible weapons have the advantage that the business end can reach very high speeds (modeled) but the disadvantage that we don't have the weight of the entire weapon behind the blow (not modeled).

What we currently have is: some rigid metal object weighing approximately 1kg impacting at roughly the speed of sound on a surface area of 1cm^2. That would be an adequate description of a 40mm autocannon shell, we're lucky the system gives up on blunt impacts of that magnitude.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:28 am »

make a dorf  a legendary +5 fighter and watch him take on 16 lashers at once without even needing to wear armor because he won't take a single hit.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »

make a dorf  a legendary +5 fighter and watch him take on 16 lashers at once without even needing to wear armor because he won't take a single hit.

With +5 legendary dodge?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: [1] 2