Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: RED Fortress - When TF2 meets Dwarf Fortress  (Read 11581 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RED Fortress - When TF2 meets Dwarf Fortress
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:05:39 am »

Based on Valve's Team Fortress 2

Inspired by the story of Queen Urist in Blockedlance (reading it is a full time job) I pushed myself to work on my Source Fortress mod so I could get it to a playable level and begin this.
What I want is for some people to sign up for characters. Just give a name, a couple of character quirks or features you might want, their job, their class and gender. If you don't care about their job or what class/gender they are just say so.

"Player List"

Bogdan (NobodyPro)

Konczewski (Deviled)

Lucy (Musashi)

Aaron (Argonnek)

Ahab (Cannabust)

Snaggletooth (Ze Spy)

Aden Gerlach (RedAlertFan)

Scaraban (Scaraban)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:11:15 am by NobodyPro »

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: Clearingsnarls, the rebel fortress. Embark preparations
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

Konczewski-male, violent, gunner

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:09:19 am »

EDIT: I'm going to do a quick revert of my mod back to .16 so that I can use Runesmith to make it more... fun.

EDIT2: No, no... that's not going to happen. *shakes head in disappointment as he reads the errorlog*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:09:01 am by NobodyPro »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:48 am »

Aaron-any, jittery, farmer.

This sounds fun.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RED Fortress. Embark preparations, Now more interesting
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:49:10 am »

Canned the rebels, they were going to be a little dull.

Now using the RED civ to make use of the higher number of castes and hats :P .

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:26 am »

Lucy - female, cynic, any job or class (if possible something combative).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:15:44 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RED Fortress. Owncoastal.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:18:51 am »

Prologue

After a history of fighting with Aperture Science, The Combine and terrorists as well as war with the survivors of the zombie outbreak, the Reliable Excavation Demolition is still soldiering on. "As our population grows so must our borders." When king Tavish DeGroot the Bloody Axes heard these words he downed his latest bottle of scrumpy, pointed at a seemingly random point on the map of the known world and yelled: "Rodohaco!" It was assumed that this was the proposed name of a new fortress to be built on that spot.
Seven able bodied mercenaries were chosen to establish this fortress and were sent off with only a vague idea of what to expect. This is the story of those mercenaries.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:59:47 pm by NobodyPro »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »

Chapter 1
"Why are we in a wagon?" Lucy said, her entire body feeling every bump in the road, "Why couldn't we take a truck, or wait for someone to build a track and take a train?"
Somebody said something from the front of the wagon.
"What?" said Lucy turning around to face the driver.
Bogdan, his woolen cap pulled down to almost cover his eyes, turned and said "We're in a wagon because it's cheaper than a truck and much cheaper than building a railroad."
"Then why use camels, unless this-" she paused to check the label on her bottle "- sewer brew is messing with my head, that's snow. This entire area is covered in snow and we're using camels!"
"Comrads, could you please be quiet!" yelled Konczewski, checking his rocket launcher again, the weapons crate sitting open next to him.
Lucy moved over to the crate, "What have we got in here anyway? I remember requesting a weapon." She searched the crate, the packing straw falling out and into the wagon. She pulled out a syringe gun. "What the hell am I meant to do with this?"
Aaron got up and moved to the front of the wagon, pushing her Bowler hat back down over her eyes to rest. "What if we don't make it Bogdan?"
"Of course we'll make it, it's just over this hill."
"You've got to be kidding me!" Lucy said disbelievingly, brandishing a mining helmet in each hand...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:28:07 pm by NobodyPro »

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:16 pm »

I just want to say my guy should talk in a russian accent.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:15:07 pm »

I guess if you have a spot still open I'd like to be a part of this.

Ahab- arrogant, slightly immoral, male engraver
     -Likes to be a part of the bigger picture
     -has an large sword in case of emergencies
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

I just want to say my guy should talk in a russian accent.
Sure, a russian scout.
I guess if you have a spot still open I'd like to be a part of this.
I have three more slots, when theyre full any applicants will sit in the que until migrants arrive.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RED Fortress - When TF2 meets Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 06:21:48 am »

The first few months were uneventful. They began construction on an inn and Aaron began sowing seeds next to it. As the second floor was being built, Bogdan opened the inn and began distilling the wild strawberries and prickle berries. The first migrants arrive and bring some fast walker puppies and a skitch kitten. An engineer even arrived towing a half finished robot. The new arrivals are put to work on a moat and a wall. A caravan arrives from Casor Pudal.

An adorable Skitch

Bogdan woke up to find a strange medic standing over him.
"Hello," he says "I'm here to talk to you about a trade agreement."
Bogdan got up slowly holding the sheet against his nakedness. "Could you wait for me downstairs. As you can see," he gestured at the hole in the roof "I don't have an office right now, I barely have a bedroom thanks to these migrants." The Outpost Liason left the room and Bogdan got dressed. He walked down the stairs and sat down at the Liason's table. "Lets-"
"Is there anything you'd like us to bring next time." said the Liason, shoving a clipboard towards Bogdan.
"We don't really need anything right now." Bogdan said, shoving the clipboard back towards the Liason. "Anything else?"
The Liason just sat there, staring at him. Bogdan got up to work the bar.
Aaron walked up to the counter, "Bogdan, gimme some of that wine."
"Prickle or Strawberry?"
"What do you think?"
Bogdan hauled an entire barrel of prickle berry wine over the counter to Aaron. "So-"
"We would pay you more for these specific items." said the Liason from behind Bogdan. He passed him the clipboard again.
"Okay. Well we won't be able to spare any weapons we make and I don't think anyone here even knows how to make windows. We'll try but I won't garuntee anything." Bogdan turned around. "How's the plot Aaron?"
Aaron stopped swilling out of the barrel to answer. "Oh it's fine, do you know when we're going to get some mugs for this stuff?"
"Well this guy is-"
"Our buisness is concluded, I will meet with you next year." said the Liason. Then he walked out, past the caravan and off towards Casor Pudal.
"Didn't we need more ammo Bogdan?"

As the caravan leaves another group of migrants arrive, among them is a soldier called Ahab. He arrives complaining about losing a sword of some sort on the way here. With those migrants the wall is finished and work begins undergound. The fort's three miners soon carve out the hospital, barracks and meeting hall and soon begin carving rooms for the various workshops that need building. At one point, a pyro walls himself into the jewelers workshop, after much dicussion over the mumbled yells coming from the other side of the wall it is decided that she is threatening to destroy all the gems in the fortress if she is not given a baby chicken. The wall is knocked down, the pyro recieves her chick and the jeweller's workshop is converted into a leatherworks. The Bone Doctor withdraws from society.

Ahab saw the Bone Doctor run into the craft workshop and followed him in. "Do you need any help?"
He muttered something.
"What?" said Ahab as he moved closer.
"Metal Bars. Leather Skin."
"Yes, you told that to the others. They're making some charcoal and we found some lignite amongst all that rock they carved out. We don't have any leather though. We could kill the camel but we're hoping to breed some camels in the future."
"Metal Bars. Leather Skin."
"Yes, I know. We can't spare the camels and we don't have any metal bars at the moment."
"Metal Bars! Leather Skin!"
"We don't have any of either of those things so shut up!"

The Bone Doctor went berserk and chased Ahab out into the corridor. In the corridor, he lost interest in Ahab and turned his rage on a nearby chick (not the pyro's), killing it by kicking it unconscience and then biting it's head off. He then ran towards the exit ramp. For some reason he thought it would be a good idea to stop and punch the engineer's, now finished, robot. The robot didn't take this too well, punched him, and ran off.

"What's going on?" shouted Lucy as people poured into the meeting hall.
"Someone's gone mad! We have orders to stop him comrade!" said Konczewski, "I am going to get my weapon from the barracks, don't move until I get back." As soon as Konczewski was out of sight, Lucy set off to find this madman.
An engineer and his robot ran past her and the madman was not far behind. He saw her and ran at her. He hit her and they tumble to the ground. He tried to scratch her but she stopped him, then punched him in the chest. There was a roar and something tackled the madman and threw him towards the ramp. Lucy got up and steadied herself. The madman was on the ground claw marks crossing his chest and the Fast Walker was in the process of tearing part of his leg off in it's jaws. Lucy ran to the madman and began punching him in the head. He bled out soon after.
Konczewski sped around the corner, rocket launcher in hand. "What did I miss?"

The Fast Walker

Note: The Fast Walker in the story was marked as a furnace operator. How's that for trivia!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:45:31 pm by NobodyPro »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:14 am »

This is quite fun to read. Is your TF2 mod available on the modding forum?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:01:43 pm »

I suspects that the BLU's would siege

Or something , Goblins sieging RED in the 21's- wait , TF2 is set in the 20'th

Count me in , Snaggletooth , "Polite" , Lives in a camper and is Australian , Male , Job's a Hunter(Not a Crazed gunman) , Class Sniper(EVERYTHING IS ALL FROM TF2'S SNIPER INCLUDING THE NAME KTHXBAI)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »

This is quite fun to read. Is your TF2 mod available on the modding forum?
Thanks. Most of the civilisation side of the mod can be found on the forum or the database but that version doesn't include RED and BLU or the Half Life HECU and Black Ops.

When I've done one or two megabeasts/semi-megabeasts (forgot to put them into the forts version) I'll release the next beta.

EDIT: The Topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72515.0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:40:26 pm by NobodyPro »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10