Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting silliness  (Read 621 times)

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Hunting silliness
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:12:45 am »

My dwarf bob (names have been falsified to protect identities) has been running around with his crossbow attempting to slaughter beasts in the land.  Recently he took fondness of deer meat.  He shot the deer accurately 8 times tearing tendons and breaking bones in all 4 limbs of the deer.  The middle spine broke and a kidney was eviscerated.  My hunter ran out of ammunition and ran off to get some more.  The deer managed to make the 20 steps to the edge of the map to retreat... WITHOUT ANY LEGS!

This is a little silly isn't it?  XD
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting silliness
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38:55 am »

Well come to DF, where common sense is even less common then RL.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:33 am »

Try using your military to hunt, actually.  Send your army after deer and whatnot.  That way you can control them better, and they get experience in fighting!

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »

The only reason I had hunters to begin with was because I wanted to let my Proficient Teacher get high in Archer/Marksdwarf so he could teach other dwarves.  When I made him military commander and put him in charge of a squad he decided not to give a toss about teaching, however and let the non-teachers organise useless demonstrations instead XD
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »

My entire death squad of elite marksdwarves were all useless dwarfs I asigned hunting. An IG year later I check up on them and see if I can draft them up.

My hunters like to turn all the warthogs into prickly bushes, then when they run out of ammo, they fall asleep on the spot. Meanwhile the poor hog is dragging itself a long slwoly, puking, fainting, untill it's nearly at the edge. Then the hunter comes back with more ammo.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »

Train cheetahs, as hunting animals(dogs). They will pig out on the hog
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration