Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "Childhood" wasted  (Read 5865 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: "Childhood" wasted
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 05:16:24 am »

Hmm... well, here it's possible to take apprenticeships after you leave secondary education.  Not a hugely popular option at the moment, but it's on the increase.

Mandatory apprenticeships... would probably lead to a ridiculously inflexible workbase, and a kindof caste system.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 05:22:43 am »

These 'wasted' childhoods, as you call them, are in fact not really wasted at all. For the most part that is the time when you develop as a person and figure out what it is you actually want to do when you get older. Most are still struggling with that even as they are searching for colleges, having not found what job they would enjoy doing for their entire adult lives. It's a time in which you are still figuring out what it is you like, what it is you are good at, and how that converges into some form of future income.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:56:53 am »

Childhood nowadays is more about developing social and physical skills over technical skills. Yes, you could use that time to train yourself in math, or programming. But why? It will generally lead to you being socially awkward in life and possibly less successful than someone who is more diplomatic and works easier with people.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 10:46:59 am »

I have no problems with being socially awkward, and enjoy programming. Does this mean that I wasted my childhood? (as much of it as i was allowed anyway)
*Hugs*

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:58 am »

Correlation does not imply causation. It could be that social awkwardness and liking mathematics are caused by the same thing, or that being socially awkward drives one to study rather than the other way around. And I feel like a huge nerd for noticing this.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 11:38:37 am »

@ Mr ø:

Successful troll is successful, it seems. Good on ya.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 11:51:39 am »

Not wasted. You learn a lot of things from playing, mainly how to socialize. Kids get burned out easily. Force them into apprenticeships, and they'd be mentally dead and give up on life in a few years.

Some of the greatest people I know IRL had wonderful childhoods too. Their parents gave them things like programming books and sent them to music lessons. They did have a childhood too and really enjoyed it. On the contrary, those who worked hard when young didn't grow up to be much different. There's a few exceptions, but not the norm.

I think the book Freakonomics covered the topic quite a bit too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:31 pm »

I see your problem.

Your in that terrible area directly between Catatonicly chill Hippy and Manic Depressive Nihilist.

You're going to die, and everything will have been pointless because you are dead and unable to be proud of even the most amazing achievements.. You can play that video game. You can waste your life. You can do anything. I believe in you.
Holy shit.  This post was amazing.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »

To be honest, neither.
I'd rather play video games with some friends, kick around a soccer ball or slap around a puck, or read a good book by myself out in the backyard.

Of course, everyone has different interests and hobbies. Mine happen to be low cost things I can afford on a modest budget.
And I'm fine with that.
However, this isn't a universal case, hence my point still stands: It's possible to have more awesome in your life even in less time if you had more money. Although I should modify it: It's plausible for some people to have more things they consider worthwhile/awesome in their life even with less time if they had more money. Ha. Rebut that. :)

More money means more time working, so in truth your just trying to cram in more things in between the longer hours you spend working to get the money to cram in more things.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 02:05:00 pm »

Nope, fliping burgers pays far less then flipping reaction tubes, so the chemist can have more time off and more money to spend in that time to boot.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »

Nope, fliping burgers pays far less then flipping reaction tubes, so the chemist can have more time off and more money to spend in that time to boot.

Good point, though I can assume the amount of people who are chemists is relatively small.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 02:41:45 pm »

But what if you enjoy flipping burgers more than actual time off?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 02:42:40 pm »

I love flipping burgers, I would rather flip burgers than actual time off.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:48 pm »

EARN MONEY FASTER MORE EARLIER YOU DISGUSTING LEECH TO SOCIETY WORK MORE MORE MORE LESS LIFE MORE WORK WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU USELESS BUM YOU MIGHT JUST AS WELL BE DEAD IF YOU'RE NOT EARNING MONEY AND MORE MONEY

*cough*
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 03:51:53 pm »

Good point, though I can assume the amount of people who are chemists is relatively small.
That's why we're so expensive :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5