Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you choose a site?  (Read 2600 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you choose a site?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »

1-tile island with 5 biomes, sedimentary+flux, 3 cavern levels, magma in the bottom. That's enough.
Finis sanctificat media.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »

Flat, No Aquifer, Sand, Sedimentry, Flux, Granite, Gabbro, Elephants or Bears.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

Why do some people prefer flat maps? I prefer mountains so I can have a very vertical fortress without accidentally piercing the caverns. Also, lots of exposed veins for free.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

Why do some people prefer flat maps? I prefer mountains so I can have a very vertical fortress without accidentally piercing the caverns. Also, lots of exposed veins for free.

It makes it easier to see what's going on I think. If the only surface areas can all be seen without varying the Z level it makes it easier to keep track of any dwarves running around, or sieges pathing to you, as well as making it easier to designate large areas of tree cutting and plant gathering. I certainly prefer tall areas (you've never seen a flat volcano after all), but I can see why some people want flatland.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:03 pm »

I recently started a new fort on a flat area, and it's AWESOME to build crazy constructions on!  Plus, flatness + Stonesense = win.  When I play flat places, I gen the world with 10-15 layers above the first cavern.  That way I can fit everything I want below ground, and still have enough resources to do stuff above ground.

What I really want, though, is magma that's not 50million Z-levels up from the surface.  Volcanoes annoy me for that.  Is it possible to find vents that are right on the surface in 31?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 07:07:39 pm »

I like flat, I tend to carve the stairs, with a workshop or two next to it, then it slowly grows untill it's this giant wall currounding this small hut. I like the fact that this bustling hive of activity is hidden under something so mundande as a wall.

Also, easier to see sieges etc. Multiple Z layers on the surface get annoying.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 07:14:39 pm »

Call me ancient, but I prefer a half mountain half forested place with flux, no aquifer, a water source (preferably a stream) and access to all civs.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 07:32:09 pm »

I love mountains, but finding enemy units is an unholy bitch on cliffy maps where every damn z-level only has a extremely narrow ledges. I'd still rather pick mountains over plains any day.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 04:30:41 am »

Gone with volcano (easy access to magma without having to breach caverns too early); a biome with trees; some place likely to have water (had a fort that went very badly - no water = no food); flux; and sedimentary rocks if possible.

Playing in a world with about 200 volcanoes, but very hard finding all these things in one place - usually have 3-4 biomes to get all of these.

Sometimes finding a site is a lot of fun - all the potential.  Still haven't worked out how to predict which animals will be annoying me, though...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:39 am »

I love mountains, but finding enemy units is an unholy bitch on cliffy maps
Precisely why i prefer flat map. If they are not on the ground they'd be in the only cavern layer. Beside, embarks with 30-35z levels total seem to load faster and get less lags
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Zodel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 09:02:51 am »

Personally, I prefer entirely flat, with one or two sand layers, flux, river / brook.

Although recently I found a perfectly square volcano that only goes up 5 Z levels, and just beneath it a molehill one Z level up. Going to flood the world with Magma, and make all traders cross a bridge over a volcano then a flooded magma pass to get to my platinum wall fortress.  8)  But knowing me, still being relatively noob.. Well, i'll mess up somewhere, I know it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 09:54:55 am »

5 levels of air, 5 surface layers or fewer (with maybe a couple more if they're off out the way or I can collapse them down without affecting the edge), brook or stream for surface water, at least a smattering of trees and plants (though even a desert can have a very few of these), sand even though I never seem to get round to using more than the caravans can provide, as many biomes and rock types as possible favouring sedimentary flux and gabbro. Slate if I can get it, just because I like it.

Surroundings and temperature I'm not too fussy about as long as there's running water for at least part of the year.

No aquifer. No volcanoes in the world, there's magma down there anyway and I don't like trying to find stuff scattered across numerous levels.

Pretty much I'm with Jacob / Lee. Half-and-half is ideal, but other biomes are cool too. I currently have a map whose ground layer resembles a 2D map -- the water is a brook and the 'cliff face' is part of the grassland and not the mountain, but my god the nostalgia I felt when zooming out on that level...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 10:25:01 am »

I don't choose one, since it's taking too long  :P.

Recently enjoying savage glaciers.

Generally used to look for flux + wood with half map with aquifer, half without. Of course access to all civs.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 10:22:58 pm »

I love mountains, but finding enemy units is an unholy bitch on cliffy maps where every damn z-level only has a extremely narrow ledges. I'd still rather pick mountains over plains any day.

I rely heavily on zooming to units from (u), and selecting targets by list from (s) military commands.

edit haha brackets screwed up my formatting
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:35:49 am by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 10:31:43 pm »

It's hard for me to choose, since the things I want in a map -- really interesting terrain -- are hard to see from the embark screen. Lots of surface wood and a river is nice, though. My current fort is centered around building an ice castle in a 20-story major river canyon that's frozen half the year. The river, I mean. I'd hope the ice castle stays frozen all year.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3