Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you choose a site?  (Read 2598 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you choose a site?
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »

I always want:

Warm-ICE RAGE
No Aquifier-NO STONE RAGE
River-NO FRESH WATER RAGE
Salvage area-Evil, but not too evil.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you choose a site?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:07:12 am »

I've pretty much given up on the search feature, once you learn the generally acceptable areas you can find one with ease.
Stick close to mountains, they rarely have aquifers and generally have some very good stones available.
River's are fairly over rated other then the perks of easy fish they offer nothing digging 20z level down doesn't.

Personally i enjoy cold biomes, they bring some interesting challenges. In one fortress of mine before i had the means to provide enough booze for everyone in the fort i had to mine out the ice from the river and take it inside to melt. 

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

Making more of the world warm can be done by adjusting the temperature parameters in world gen. You'll still get poles, but you get more warm areas too.

Aquifers can be easily modded out.

Rivers aren't really necessary, more of a bonus. Your choice I suppose.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:04 am »

I like volcanoes. A lot. So I tend to set up shop around them. Volcanoes with sand in the same embark are especially good, but mostly I just look for a livable volcano site.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:23:24 am »

Sedimentary flux no aquifer sandy warm place. I'm too picky.  :-\
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:42:17 am »

I specifically look for sites that straddle biomes, to get the best of two worlds. Look for the "F1 F2" underneath the list of layers to toggle biome coverage display.

Specifically, I have a love of mountain meets forest. Infinite rock and metal on one half, infinite wood and soil on the other.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:51:48 am »

I specifically look for sites that straddle biomes, to get the best of two worlds. Look for the "F1 F2" underneath the list of layers to toggle biome coverage display.

Specifically, I have a love of mountain meets forest. Infinite rock and metal on one half, infinite wood and soil on the other.

THIS.

+ a brook. Brooks are your friends.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:50 am »

running water
volcano
savage/haunted/terrifying

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:05 am »

I shape the game to my liking so I dont have to bother with choosing  8)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 04:45:21 am »

I only play on sites that are at the intersections of several different biomes (both stones and wildlife) for variety, in 4x4 areas. 3 different biomes is a minimum, 4 is ideal, 5 is so rare I have given up finding one. One of the biomes must be a mountain (hey, I play dwarves, not humans !). And I want to have all 3 types of stones (white, grey, black): usually not a problem if there are 4 different stone biomes in the embark area.

Maxing out the variance is the world gen parameters helps a lot with that. Also, I like the biomes to be wilderness or untamed wilderness. 

Infinite fresh water is a must: preferably an aquifer, but I'll settle for a river. Even a temperate/cold wet biome (e.g. marsh) will do, since freezing water replenishes in winter, and wet biomes have lots of pools so it's close enough to infinite.

Sand is also a must, as is flux. And to be honest, on maps with 4 biomes, it's not hard to get.

Magma is on every map if digging deep enough, so I don't play on volcanoes.

I am currently playing on a map with 4 stone biomes that are so close to each other that my fortress is straddling all of them, so I have lots of different stones , metals, and gems. 2 of those wildlife biomes are identical, but it is still 3 different wildlife biomes (for zoos). Only one of the biomes has an aquifer. So I am very happy with it.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 04:47:32 am »

Sedimentary flux no aquifer sandy warm place. I'm too picky.  :-\

Add 'completely flat' and 'four layers of soil, the top can't be white/red' to that and you have my standards.

Picky? Pssh.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:48 am »

I've had a sweet spot for ice recently. I've been embarking on glaciers, just to make sure I get as much as I can.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

hulbral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 07:19:12 am »

Gold. I want as many igneous layers as possible. Then I want 1 tile of the embark to be jungle while the rest is a freshwater lake.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 07:24:03 am »

I like to look for sedimentry flux layer, and not too deep of an aquifer.

And if the aquifer is deep, it better be freezing.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:00:25 pm »

100% flat thats about it, everything else depends on my mood.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3