Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive  (Read 140573 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »

Fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2011, 09:47:27 pm »

own up, who payed for hamsters.

what exactly is a hamster going to do in DF?
This is sort of how I feel about the deep sea creatures and songbirds on the list. It's cool and all, but when are we ever going to even see a cuttlefish?

But it's not my place to go telling people what to do with their money.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »

Damn, I should've sponsored cuttlefish.
Shoes...

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »

It's cool and all, but when are we ever going to even see a cuttlefish?

When a caravan brings you a barrel of cuttlefish blood.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Arthemax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »

Brown recluse!? Now the vermin will cause rot!

Which is exactly why I sponsored it, and reminded ToadyOne specifically in the sponsorship e-mail.

You're welcome  ;D

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »

Which is exactly why I sponsored it, and reminded ToadyOne specifically in the sponsorship e-mail.

You're welcome  ;D

Thank you. Thank you so much.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2011, 04:54:35 am »

It's cool and all, but when are we ever going to even see a cuttlefish?

When a caravan brings you a barrel of cuttlefish blood.

My baron is currently demanding crafts made out of moghopper teeth, so, you know. Stranger things have happened than needing to fast-order calamari from the elves.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2011, 07:09:45 am »

This is sort of how I feel about the deep sea creatures and songbirds on the list. It's cool and all, but when are we ever going to even see a cuttlefish?
Maybe to give Toady incentive to fix issues with mods featuring playable aquatic races? Patching issues, building cities on bottom of sea instead of surface (where everything crashes as soon as you wakes up here) etc.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:42 am »

Maybe to give Toady incentive to fix issues with mods featuring playable aquatic races? Patching issues, building cities on bottom of sea instead of surface (where everything crashes as soon as you wakes up here) etc.

Wouldn't the probability of an aquatic race developing what humans (or dwarves) would consider "civilization" be problematic? I mean, fire is the basis for most civilization and without it you can not cook food, nor distill alcohol, nor smelt copper, iron, or other metals. Fire (or magma heat) is the basis for much industry.

Then again, DF is a fantasy game. And I seem to recall reading about plans to add more magic. I see no reason why magic couldn't be the basis of an aquatic civilization. Though, I'd hope to see dwarves rowing boats and sailing ships to sea before that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:46:36 am by Thundercraft »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:46 am »

Wouldn't the probability of an aquatic race developing what humans (or dwarves) would consider "civilization" be problematic? I mean, fire is the basis for most civilization and without it you can not cook food, nor distill alcohol, nor smelt copper, iron, or other metals. Fire (or magma heat) is the basis for much industry.

Then again, DF is a fantasy game. And I seem to recall reading about plans to add more magic. I see no reason why magic couldn't be the basis of an aquatic civilization. Though, I'd hope to see dwarves rowing boats and sailing ships to sea before that.

They'd have to be a sort of underwater elves, sure. That favour hunting. The yields of the hunt combined with the endless amount of underwater shells, spunges, sea foam (i.e. cuttlefish skeletons) and whatever washes into the sea should give a broad enough material base for civilization. The distilling can be done by taming appropriate sea critters with the right digestive habits and milk/make them throw up at the right time :)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:27 am »

The yields of the hunt combined with the endless amount of underwater shells, spunges, sea foam (i.e. cuttlefish skeletons) and whatever washes into the sea should give a broad enough material base for civilization. The distilling can be done by taming appropriate sea critters with the right digestive habits and milk/make them throw up at the right time :)
Perhaps, but it sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.

What if that "appropriate sea critter" with the "right digestive habits" does not happen to show up on your map? A caravan might solve that. But the Trade Depot would have to be on land or caravans would not be able to visit. Umm... unless you can get visits from other aquatic races.

Anyway, I'd consider it a terribly unfair (and boring) advantage if most enemies could not attack my fortress simply for being underwater. This thing may be doable, but probably not without considerable planning, coding, and game re-balancing. Having an amphibious playable race seems a big enough advantage to me, even if such civilizations are limited to building stuff on land.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

As in the words of Nicholas cage: Oh god,  not the bees!

Also, there's some very interesting animals there. War giant tortoises anyone?
Blargh.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:42 pm »

You're welcome  ;D

Did you also make sure to remind him of the brown recluse's other amazing ability?

You know, the one that makes everyone who ever saw a brown spider tell their friends and neighbors "it was a brown recluse!"

I hope Toady adds a bunch of boring wood spiders in the game, too, and then makes dwarves report half their boring wood spider bites as "Bomrek McExaggerator was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider!".
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »

So does the fact that we have cuttlefish mean that we might have _giant_ _glowing_ _cave-dwelling_ cuttlefish?  Because that would be awesome.

Also cuttlefish demons and cuttlefish titans would be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31