Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive  (Read 140603 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2010, 03:43:29 pm »

Well, any future drives would have to be for things that are 1) easy to enumerate, so you have a list to choose from; 2) trivial enough that they don't add more code (I'm betting most/all of these critters don't add code that wasn't already being implemented), 3) complex enough to be more than just a string.

There's this middle ground where you can say "Okay, there's a bunch of animals that it's easy to pull up names for the cool ones, but it would take me at least a bit of effort to create the raws for".  Any simpler, new instruments for example, and you're just saying "Hmm, French horn...Oh hey it's already in!"  Anything that's not easy to enumerate, and you get people fighting over definitions (person A thinks that the stickybun recipe need honey, person B has a different recipe) or coming up with total whackjob stuff; user-created content belongs in mods, not the core game.  Anything complex like a ton of tools with different uses, and there's no point, because they will each take a long time and Toady always has the right to say "Oh screw it, I'm working on something else now".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2010, 05:13:38 pm »

Well, any future drives would have to be for things that are 1) easy to enumerate, so you have a list to choose from; 2) trivial enough that they don't add more code (I'm betting most/all of these critters don't add code that wasn't already being implemented), 3) complex enough to be more than just a string.

There's this middle ground where you can say "Okay, there's a bunch of animals that it's easy to pull up names for the cool ones, but it would take me at least a bit of effort to create the raws for".  Any simpler, new instruments for example, and you're just saying "Hmm, French horn...Oh hey it's already in!"  Anything that's not easy to enumerate, and you get people fighting over definitions (person A thinks that the stickybun recipe need honey, person B has a different recipe) or coming up with total whackjob stuff; user-created content belongs in mods, not the core game.  Anything complex like a ton of tools with different uses, and there's no point, because they will each take a long time and Toady always has the right to say "Oh screw it, I'm working on something else now".
Actually, much of this does entail new code. Everything is planned to be implemented at some point, so it that manner it was all "already being implemented" but sponsoring it causes it to go in sometime in the near future, rather than being put off indefinitely.

Recipes would be an entirely acceptable sponsorship drive, once the game has the capacity for such a thing. And cooking rewrites are not on the short list for implementation, so it's not going to happen for a while.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 29, 2010, 06:00:11 pm »

Don't mistake what I said as "Expanded menus need to be implemented NAO!!!1!"

But if Toady wants a guaranteed way to milk another $11 from my wallet...
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 29, 2010, 07:18:41 pm »

Just donated AU$20 for the sponsorship of bees, Africanised and regular, and a potential honey industry. :D I'm hoping to see the fatal stinging of numerous Apiarist dwarfs in the not too distant future and watch the noble dwarfs enjoy the delicious fruits of their fatal labor.

pruneytoes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 29, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »

I'm sponsoring the narwhal, in the hope that on some glorious day, Toady implements the ability to mount animals.
My toes are getting pruney

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #260 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

Sponsoring the lory. Hopefully specifically the red lory.

Awwww.....

(I used to have a pet red lory. She was lovely and incredibly quirky.)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2010, 07:40:16 pm »

Another creature that'd be really cool to see in DF would be the Glyptodon. This was a relative of the armadillo that was the size of a Volkswagen Beetle! :o
I'd think that would be a difficult fight for most races. And I can only imagine what dwarves could create from those shells.

Speaking of which, it'd be nice if there were more options to use bone and shell in Armor. I mean, why couldn't a dwarf use large turtle shells to make Bucklers or Shields? It'd be nice to see bone or shell Upper Body, too. (BTW: We can use leather, but not wood for Foot Protection? What about Clogs?)

If new crafting material were a sponsorship issue, I'd probably vote for [material] scales, for light scale-mail, that would also be my armour vote. Something that protects the neck would also be popular I suspect.
Yes, scales and scale-mail would be nice.
As for protecting the neck, traditionally, there were a few options:
* Aventail or Camail
* Gorget
* Bevor
* Pteruges
* Coif, chainmail
Also, I suppose wearing a thick, wide leather Collar would be better than nothing. Though, pet dogs and cats might look at your dwarves funny... :P

Tools....the broom for sped up cleaning, maybe the mop+bucket, as that works better on fluid contaminants, but not so well on rough mined out tunnels.
Excellent idea!
Some may scoff at the idea of dwarves building something to improve cleanliness. But the faster it's done the better. Contaminants can be a big problem and can keep dwarves occupied when they could be useful elsewhere - like for brewing beer and mining.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:42:52 pm by Thundercraft »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 29, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »

Another creature that'd be really cool to see in DF would be the Glyptodon. This was a relative of the armadillo that was the size of a Volkswagen Beetle! :o
I'd think that would be a difficult fight for most races. And I can only imagine what dwarves could create from those shells.

Fill with water. Apply magma. DWARVEN HOT TUB PARTY!
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2010, 01:55:36 am »

Well for 9600 bucks you get a decent used car. A Ford Ka or a Smart maybe in mint quality if you are lucky.

You fail at math  :D. 96 x $10 = $960. This is the minimum, however, as I think some people may have donated more.

I believe that when we say that 96 animals are sponsored, it means that some might have been sponsored twice.  Could be wrong, we'd need Toady to confirm.  Toady?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:55 am »

Yeah, 96 (or 98 now I think) distinct animals from the list have been sponsored, and some of them have been sponsored multiple times.  I think the top right now is 7 people.  They'll all make it in over time, but the top sponsored ones will be the first in.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:45 am »

aw....

so that means if we want something to go higher in the list, we'll have to sponsor it twice?

you clever, clever man.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:47 am »

He he he, nobody has done that yet, and it's not part of the grand design.  It could still theoretically happen in the last few days though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2010, 05:51:19 am »

I would definitely donate in a "Recipe Sponsorship Drive". I want my dorfs to dine on +reindeer haggis+ soooo much.

Exactly what I was thinking, I donated with an eye towards ≡penguin escalope≡ (can you believe there was not a single Google hit for "penguin escalope" before this post?).

Xveers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 30, 2010, 07:11:53 am »

I for one welcome our octopi overlords; rhesus monkey of the seas!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:06 am »

How can you have a Marsupial section with the Opossum and not have added the Possum?

Most Americans are unaware that a Possum is distinct from an Opossum.  I grew up near the American South, where the former word is used almost exclusively to refer to the latter species.  When I was young I was even taught (in school!) that the vowel at the beginning of the word was silent.  Only recently did I discover that there are actually two species with different names.

p.s. I sponsored the RAVEN for my animal. 

[PREFSTRING = clever defensive schemes]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:41:22 am by Jurph »
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31