Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive  (Read 140610 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
Re: Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2010, 12:46:25 pm »

I will be sponsoring that greatest of mammals: the Giant Tortoise.
mammals!?!???????

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »

I will be sponsoring that greatest of mammals: the Giant Tortoise.
mammals!?!? ??? ???

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice that...  They're amphibians reptiles.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:23 pm »

Well, the Giant Tortise is in the reptile section now.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

I want to make Tortoise Cheese!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:01 pm »

Come on, we need some Moose!

I can't help but giggle at the thought of a 7 foot tall 1000 pound moose chasing down dwarfs.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2010, 05:25:55 pm »

The kakapo. It's so dumb, it's forgotten that it's forgotten how to fly.

This leads to it running up a tree to escape a predator, taking flight, and landing in a graceless heap on the ground.

If ever Mother Nature picked a species to embody DF pathing logic, this would be it.

Ah, yes the kakapo...

A good friend om mine once joined an expedition to shoot a nature documentary of these flightless birds, they finally found one after searching for a long time. It turned out it was not the innocent friendly little bird they expected, in fact it misbehaved quite baddly (not being able to find a mate, it vented its 'frustrations' on random small creatures, some of which did not survive, it actually got worse than that too, but I'll spare you the details). in the end they decided most of it really was not suitable to be aired on television, an endangered creature like the kakapo really can not use that kind of bad press.

So yes, DF needs kakapos

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2010, 05:53:04 pm »

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »

Going for the bobcat myself just becuase of the name  :)

gnodab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »

Not only do they forget they can't fly, they don't even have the grace to look majestic and worth protecting on nature shows.  Instead they molest the host and have to be removed by the handler.

This is disturbingly true:

Well, after seeing the videos and reading up a bit I had to go along and also support the Kakapo.
They are just awesome! Join camp Kakapo or we'll climb your back and...

And although the Japanese Macaque is still sorely missed, I've found an cool article on Capuchins.
It shows that they are actually able to learn to grasp the concepts of money and basic economy. After learning all this, guess what they did. They started soliciting.

pineapple

• Bay Watcher
  • I shouldn't trust that bird...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »

Ah, yes the kakapo...

A good friend om mine once joined an expedition to shoot a nature documentary of these flightless birds, they finally found one after searching for a long time. It turned out it was not the innocent friendly little bird they expected, in fact it misbehaved quite baddly (not being able to find a mate, it vented its 'frustrations' on random small creatures, some of which did not survive, it actually got worse than that too, but I'll spare you the details). in the end they decided most of it really was not suitable to be aired on television, an endangered creature like the kakapo really can not use that kind of bad press.

So yes, DF needs kakapos

Not surprised at all. Parrots have ridiculous libidos, especially as "teens" (kakapos generally hit puberty around 5-6 years old and are considered fully mature between 9-11, although successful breedings have happened between pubescent birds) and young adults and when environmental factors signal good mating conditions.  The adage that you have to raise a parrot from a chick for it to bond to you is backwards for this reason, when they hit puberty their instinct is to reject their current "flock" and start seeking out potential mates.  Mature adult birds actually make easier pets. </nerdout>

The bird they used for the Last Chance to See segment is a domestic born, human raised bird but he decided he'd rather get his freak on with the presenter's head than walk around being pretty for twenty minutes. :P  That's a hormonal teenage bird for you.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »

It shows that they are actually able to learn to grasp the concepts of money and basic economy. After learning all this, guess what they did. They started soliciting.

Took a bit of reading to find the relevant part, so here it is:

Then there is the stealing. Santos has observed that the monkeys never deliberately save any money, but they do sometimes purloin a token or two during an experiment. All seven monkeys live in a communal main chamber of about 750 cubic feet. For experiments, one capuchin at a time is let into a smaller testing chamber next door. Once, a capuchin in the testing chamber picked up an entire tray of tokens, flung them into the main chamber and then scurried in after them -- a combination jailbreak and bank heist -- which led to a chaotic scene in which the human researchers had to rush into the main chamber and offer food bribes for the tokens, a reinforcement that in effect encouraged more stealing.

Something else happened during that chaotic scene, something that convinced Chen of the monkeys' true grasp of money. Perhaps the most distinguishing characteristic of money, after all, is its fungibility, the fact that it can be used to buy not just food but anything. During the chaos in the monkey cage, Chen saw something out of the corner of his eye that he would later try to play down but in his heart of hearts he knew to be true. What he witnessed was probably the first observed exchange of money for sex in the history of monkeykind. (Further proof that the monkeys truly understood money: the monkey who was paid for sex immediately traded the token in for a grape.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2010, 07:48:31 pm »

Going for the bobcat myself just becuase of the name  :)

This post gave me a flashback to Wild America with Marty Stouffer.

somnambulist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2010, 08:01:51 pm »

If we get pig, we also should have wild boar.

I already voted crabs, though, but boar have my support too if not paid for. :)
Send some more money in for the boars, then.

I got boars! For too long my dorfs have been without delicious bacon!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2010, 09:35:03 pm »

It just occurred to me that a DF themed Red Dawn cannot take place if Wolverines do not make it in.

WOLVERINES!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »

As much as I REALLY like the idea of moose (Yay wild huntables for the great frozen north!), I'm going to donate for Coyotes.  Which steal food and are liked for their tenacity, their impertinance, their yipping calls, or perhaps for their pointed ears and muzzle.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31