Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31

Author Topic: Results In! Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive  (Read 140614 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Rainseeker's Animal Sponsorship Drive
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »

I will be sponsoring that greatest of mammals: the Giant Tortoise.
mammals!?!???????
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46:03 pm »

I will soon sponsor the great narwhal. I recommend others do the same, can you imagine undead narwhals? They'd crawl ashore and impale your dwarves! Or when your dwarves walk near the sea, they lung out to get them like carps with horns.

Yes, narwhals, the most Fun of all mammals.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:52 am »

I will soon sponsor the great narwhal. I recommend others do the same, can you imagine undead narwhals? They'd crawl ashore and impale your dwarves! Or when your dwarves walk near the sea, they lung out to get them like carps with horns.

Yes, narwhals, the most Fun of all mammals.

They'd be like Carp + Unicorns.  Possibly with a side of Elephant.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:08 am »

My point exactly!
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:39 am »

Someone should sponsor the Jackalope.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2010, 10:18:02 am »

A similar "Bugfix Sponsorship Drive" would be very interesting. Donate to have Toady fix your most annoying bug.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2010, 01:56:49 pm »

I like some of the more obscure animals on the list, but things like birds and snakes and small lizards are going to be like birds and small lizards are now: vermin.  Unless they're going to have some use in the new version, it seems like a waste.  I guess with animal traps, you can keep them as pets, but I think that's it.

I wish there were chimpanzees or other great apes on the list (aside from the one species we already have and trade with), but now even a monitor lizard is looking like a good choice.  I'd like War Monitor Lizards, complete with septic/infectious bite, but there are no guarantees they'll have some syndrome associated with their attack even if they made it in...
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:01 pm »

I like some of the more obscure animals on the list, but things like birds and snakes and small lizards are going to be like birds and small lizards are now: vermin.  Unless they're going to have some use in the new version, it seems like a waste.  I guess with animal traps, you can keep them as pets, but I think that's it.

When they get implemented, they may expand the capabilities and uses of vermin (and other creatures):

Oooh, niftiness. Out of curiosity, will these animals be implemented with all the expected bells and whistles, such as spitting cobras spitting venom, and termites eating wood?

I'm going to do my best -- there are things like the entire honey industry which I was considering putting in for the release but which overall might not be guaranteed with something like a bee sponsorship, but the existence and sponsorship of the bee certainly helps its prospects.  So, some of the animals imply more work than others, and I can't guarantee absolute satisfaction, but I am dedicated to getting things up to speed, and I'm all for adding new tags and things.

I wish there were chimpanzees or other great apes on the list

All the great apes are already in the game.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »

It just struck me.

Dwarven zebra pants. Ah, what a dream.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

but now even a monitor lizard is looking like a good choice.  I'd like War Monitor Lizards, complete with septic/infectious bite, but there are no guarantees they'll have some syndrome associated with their attack even if they made it in...
Umiman has already sponsored the monitor lizard. Feel free to co-sponsor it, though!
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:54 pm »

Is this list getting expanded? I would like to see a catoblepas/gnu in the game, but I don't see it on the list.  :(

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2010, 10:49:50 pm »

Interesting idea, but what if every animal on the list gets sponsored, they'll all have to be fast tracked and we'll probably end up with the next update being  nothing but animals, I have no problem with that really, my dwarves need a more varied diet anyway :P
That being said, where's the love for my favorite of invertebrates the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod ?
You thought turtle shell mandates were annoying? How about needing to set up a deep sea fishing operation just to pull some of these babies up for a mayor who thinks a pair of giant sea cockroach shell earings are the height of fashion?

...I'm thinking there might be problems with mandates with all these new animals, maybe animal part mandates will need to be limited to whatever is currently on your map and maybe also common animals like cow leather etc.

Wait, can sea animals currently be caught with standard fishing? Maybe we need to be able to drop cage traps attached to chains to catch things that live in teh deeper ocean.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:05:26 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2010, 12:15:09 am »

That being said, where's the love for my favorite of invertobrates the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod ?

Looks like a giant tick.  Or something.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2010, 02:06:34 am »

That being said, where's the love for my favorite of invertobrates the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod ?

You don't see a lot of ticks, I'm guessing?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2010, 10:20:53 am »

You don't see a lot of ticks, I'm guessing?

Not up close.  The picture of its face reminded me of some smaller insect (or arachnid) but I can't recall which one.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31