Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: very slow framerate on embark  (Read 622 times)

hulbral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
very slow framerate on embark
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »

I've embarked on multiple sites in .18, but today I experienced something new. A site that runs at 50 fps from the start! In my previous forts I could handle rivers and 50 dwarves at 80 fps. The current embark went straight down to 50 fps with my 7 starting dwarves doing nothing.

Maybe it has something to do with the 20 or so messages about cave ins I experienced at the start? (What IS that about anyway?)

This sucks, seeing as I literally spent FOREVER to find the perfect embark site for my current plans. Does anyone have a clue what causes this? Is there a chance if will get better... (yeah right, I'm sure it will get better after getting 50 immigrants -_-)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: very slow framerate on embark
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »

It's probably the cave-ins, there are a bunch of bugs involving volcanoes, the caverns and obsidian in the current fortress. Of course, hell might have had some problems too. I suppose try embarking somewhere else and see what happens.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:14 pm »

cave ins down in the caverns/magma sea, slow framerate is likely due to the engine now being aware of the presence of the caverns, and thus keeping track of them and their inhabitants. My theory anyway.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »

Probable bug. Regen the world and embark in the same spot to confirm.

No point wasting your embark if it's avoidable.

hulbral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »

cave ins down in the caverns/magma sea, slow framerate is likely due to the engine now being aware of the presence of the caverns, and thus keeping track of them and their inhabitants. My theory anyway.

What you say does make sense, however: I've done straight down digging before, just to peek at some random caverns. I noticed no FPS issues. So while caverns may/probably? cause cpu strain, it's usually nowhere near this.

I'd go with the "bunch of bugs" theory. This place is weird. After some digging, I "discover a magma pool" that zooms me to empty space. Cave layer 2 and 3 appears to be connected (judging from the fauna). Oh and eventually I found another magma pool, this time for real.

Yeah, I'm outta here!

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »

Just use DHack to reveal the map and you will see the problem. Most likely there is some underground lake spilling into magma sea or magma sea spilling into hell.
Also check if you dont have several hundreds-thousands z levels above ground, this is a common reason for bad performance.

hulbral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »

Oh, there's a tool to reveal. Makes me feel stupid for all this digging.

But I think I found the problem. There is some water appearing from the edge of the map that happens to be falling down into a gigantic section of cavern. Seems to have filled up 10 levels of a magma pipe with water, and if I let this go, it will start filling 40 gigantic levels of cavern... ^_^

My dwarves shall look elsewhere.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:02:26 pm »

Same thing happened to me a while back, only without any cave-in messages. It just dragged.

The funny part is that I'd already spent half an hour in pause designating stuff.

That day I learned to always let the game run for a few seconds before I get to work. Just to be sure.

hulbral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:11:40 am »

That day I learned to always let the game run for a few seconds before I get to work. Just to be sure.

Yeah, that is always a good idea.

...but this is getting annoying. I searched out another embark location, which of course took forever, and the same thing happened again. No cave-ins, and no underground lake filling the world, but instead lava somewhere deep down is spilling around everywhere. I was down to 3 fps about 1 minute after embark. -_-

At least I saved lots of time finding the cause thanks to the hint about reveal!