Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How big, MB-wise, should updates be? (Pick one, please)

Text only, plus thumbnails
- 7 (12.7%)
< 512 KB
- 8 (14.5%)
0.5 - 1 MB
- 9 (16.4%)
1-2 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
2-5 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
5-10 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
As big as needed.
- 28 (50.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020  (Read 13232 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 07:01:37 pm »

Might I request a regiment of artillery or something along those lines?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »

We have plenty of artillery. One regiment renaming, coming up.

This game is on sale for $5 at Steam, but Steam doesn't seem to have the expansion pack.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »

Cool, I'm an admiral, and my forces are subs. I demand nuclear subs with nuclear missles and/or torpedos somehow on there! Let the enemy of our glorious communist nation fall before us, esspecially the capitalist pigdogs!
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »

So you're closing on Seoul? As soon as we get the helicopters, can I try to airdrop behind the ennemy's lines and break their right wing?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:22 pm »

Do we know why Eastern Siberia and south Korea attacked the DPRK?  ::) Did they have a death wish or something...

I know this game was released before HTTT, but I think the Casus Belli system would have added lots of flavor and understanding.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »

Sorry, but I probably won't get to an update today. I don't feel like I could do a writeup to do justice to what will probably be the most important/interesting conflict in the LP.

So you're closing on Seoul? As soon as we get the helicopters, can I try to airdrop behind the ennemy's lines and break their right wing?
Sorry, but I held off on producing the aircraft factories until after the war. I'll send the elite forces off on a stealth mission to harass/destroy lone enemies behind enemy lines, though.

Do we know why Eastern Siberia and south Korea attacked the DPRK?  ::) Did they have a death wish or something...

I know this game was released before HTTT, but I think the Casus Belli system would have added lots of flavor and understanding.
The AI's not very good at faking intelligence. We started out with most people having a high casus belli rating for us, meaning that the world won't much care if they attack us. Combined with low starting relations for us ... being better then them, yeah, let's go with that, even weaker nations will randomly decide that we should be destroyed.

Once we start our world conquest, they'll get even more frequent. Fun times are ahead!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

Woah, this game looks neat. Should I get it?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Try the demo first (It's on that page). It's a bit like the HOI series. The demo's limited to a few basic scenarios, but it's enough to give a feel for the game.

I'd advise buying from Gamersgate if you're going to purchase it. Both Steam and Gamersgate have the base game on sale for $5 right now, but Steam doesn't have the expansion pack. Gamersgate's selling the expansion pack for another $10. [/unwanted retailer advice]

Be warned: The AI is kinda lame. The economic AI doesn't build resource extraction structures, and their military AI doesn't know how to concentrate its forces. Overall a fun game anyway, and I imagine that multiplayer would alleviate this problem.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »

Most Paradox games share the problem of weak AI. If only I could get multiplayer to work...

Also nice LP!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 08:13:03 pm »

I understand there is an experimental version 6.7 which features better AI.  Somebody playing as Cuba died by the United States in that version.  You have to go to the official forums to get the experimental version, it won't auto-download.

Also, the developers are releasing a new expansion pack soon.  Hence the discounts and such.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »

July 10th
Current status:
We are at war with the traitors in the south.
We are currently in the lead in this war, by an unknown margin.
Our victories have not come without cost - Several tank battalions have had to flee for replacement tanks, and most of our airforce awaits repairs and replacement planes. The remainder is being held back for any targets of opportunity with no AA cover.
Little land has changed hands, as their heavily-defended capital is very close to the border.
Analysis: We should hold back as our airforce returns to full strength while shelling their capital with artillery. Sheb and EuchreJack will lead elite strike teams behind enemy lines to harass their reinforcement battalions.

Warning: Shelling the military forces stationed in Seoul will reduce their population, and greatly damage any usable buildings. The gains from the war will decrease, and we will have to pay large sums of wealth to repair any captured buildings. Continue (y/n)?
Y

July 12th
All spies, stationed at various points around Seoul to relay artillery targeting data have simultaneously stopped responding, and are believed to have been captured. Commencing untargeted shelling.
We have completed negotiations with Venezuela, selling several battalions worth of obsolete anti-helicopter guns for slightly over $500 million. Attempts have been made to balance the budget while increasing military spending.

July 14th
They have begun forming their own battle line. Our elite forces have nearly reached the frontlines.

July 18th
A brief sortie was sufficient to send their line back to their cities. When a tank battalion was sent to scout one of the towns bordering Seoul, their airforce was scrambled. Our AA batteries were quickly brought into position.

July 20th
Their aircraft have broken a hole through our eastern flank, shortly before they we shot them down. Sheb and EuchreJack's elite forces will hold the gap closed until reserve tanks can be brought in.
On the western flank, long-ranged MLRS fire is harming our artillery greatly from outside their range. We cannot fall back, lest an important military installation be lost to us. The fortress near the MLRS will have to be assaulted immediately. Air support will be withheld from this vital mission.
The budget has been balanced, thanks to the unyielding support of our patriotic citizens. The consumer goods factory is complete, and should further help our budget. A new one has been started.

July 22nd
Western Siberia declared war. Peace negotiations are under way.
The main assault is taking longer then expected. Tank battalions that have completed repairs are being returned to the front.

((Not much of an update today, but it's better then nothing.
No pictures due to the lack of territory changing hands.))

Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 04:35:25 pm »

I recently acquired this in Steam through the Paradox Interactive pack.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

And why is time so slow?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

I recently acquired this in Steam through the Paradox Interactive pack.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

And why is time so slow?
Apparently it's because the AIs like deploying all of their units, even while at peace. Try starting with the mode that removes all starting units, and/or disable LOS.

I can't really help with understanding the basics of how to use the UI, sorry. Try figuring the game out as a minor nation, for the simplicity.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 09:00:36 pm »

It's generally slow anyway, but I think what he says helps a bit.

I may do my own one of these when I finish my final LCS LP. It's a good game despite all its flaws.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:58 pm »

The game speed is heavily reliant upon the speed of the computer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4