Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How big, MB-wise, should updates be? (Pick one, please)

Text only, plus thumbnails
- 7 (12.7%)
< 512 KB
- 8 (14.5%)
0.5 - 1 MB
- 9 (16.4%)
1-2 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
2-5 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
5-10 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
As big as needed.
- 28 (50.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020  (Read 13230 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 12:58:32 pm »

>Sell coal to people for fun and profit!
But coal is worth very little.

>Sell overpriced water to Saudi Arabia.

Makes up to their overpriced oil.  Somewhat.
Best plan ever.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 01:20:49 pm »

I like this game somewhat, but it is painfully slow. I tend to spend alot of time sitting around waiting for gdp to go up 1%

That said, It would make a great LP, keep it up!

lurking.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 02:22:29 pm »

lurk
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »

June 18th, 2020
Presidential Palace, later that day.

Jero and six aides are seated at a table. Stacks of documents, charts, and folders are scattered around.
Jero: "Alright, I'm calm. We're here, and need to figure out how to get ourselves out of this mess. What's the diplomatic situation?"

Diplomatic aide: "Not good. Most of the world disagrees with the policies of your predecessor. The Chinese were split into three distinct factions following their starvation riots. They've stabilized into separate power blocks, none of whom are willing to risk open war with the others. They are afraid of the possible international repercussions that would come from backing us too strongly, but I believe we can bring them around, with enough time and money. Tibet and Mongolia broke free, but we expect them to be brought back under the rightful control of the Chinese soon enough.

The Russians are also divided, thanks to the efforts of the 'Crimson Fist' terrorists. The eastern blocs consider us to be too great a threat to ally us. The two westernmost blocks, centered around Moscow and St. Petersburg, respectively, might be willing to sign onto an alliance eventually.

Unfortunately, that's it for potential allies. The traitorous rabble in the south are in a state of disarray, as their pathetic masters have finally experienced the utter collapse of their beloved capitalism. Without western troops holding them back, our spies should be able to coax them into initiating hostilities against us. I hope that this would convince the Chinese to back us. The Japanese have also publicly denounced us on several occasions."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Jero: "Wonderful. How's our military?"

Military aide: "Uh, sir? You reviewed that yesterday."

Jero: "Yes, and then I promptly drank myself into a stupor so I'd forget everything. Now answer the question ... Gently."

Military aide: "The former leadership had the military recalled to their barracks for inspection a few days ago. I think he was planning on attempting a surprise attack or something, I'm not exactly sure. We have an abundance of infantry, 20 battalions of which are elite forces. For armor, we have about 120 battalions of Russian tanks, bought when the USSR collapsed, 11 battalions worth of ZTS-63 Chinese amphibious light tanks, and a handful of slightly more modern tanks designed here. There are enough AT guns, hand-held, towed, or self-propelled, for 80 battalions. We have plenty of howitzers, alongside-"

Jero: "How many is plenty?"

Military aide: "We haven't finished counting. All I can say is 'yes.' We have several MLRS battalions, but they'd be a considerable drain on our supplies. There are a disturbingly large amount of anti-helicopter guns, and many short-ranged anti-fighter guns. There are only 11 battalions of rocket-armed mobile AA, but they've got significantly more range. Vexingly, we do not have any supply trucks.

On the naval front, we have 26 subs, four mismatched frigates, and 59 patrol vessels. Only two of the frigates have guns able to hit fighters, and none have guns large enough to be worth using for coastal bombardment.

Our airforce consists of 11 interceptor squadrons, 18 fighter/bomber squadrons, 12 helicopter squadrons, and 4 of Chinese strategic bombers. We have enough transport planes to land a few regiments behind enemy lines, should you choose to do so. Frankly, sir, I'm surprised that some of these planes can still fly.

I have also taken the liberty of starting construction of a line of forts along our southern border."

Jero: "Very good. Next?"

Production aide: "We produce excess fresh water, timber, coal, and electricity, but that's it. We don't have enough farms, are importing all of our ore, and don't have nearly enough finished goods factories. We have plenty of military factories, however: six land fabrication plants, an aircraft plant, and two naval yards."

Jero: "We can work with that. Let's build a few factories producing computers. Next?"

Financial aide: "We're 200 million credits, per day, in the red. We'll be bankrupt in three days."

Jero: "WHAT!? How is that even possible"

Financial aide: "A trade deficient, mostly. Military supplies aren't cheap."

Jero: "Ugh. Sell off excess guns to whoever will buy them ... even if it means selling to the capitalist. Then raise taxes and cut funding to the military down to the minimum. Cancel the line of forts. Probably best to only build one computer factor. We'll cut all unneeded internal funding down to 25%, including social spending and infrastructure-"

Infrastructure aide: "WHAT? YOU DARE TO CUT ROAD MAINTENANCE?!?!? BY THE ATHEISTIC NOT-GODS WE CERTAINLY DO NOT WORSHIP, YOU'LL REGRET THIS!!"

Jero: "Ah, forgot about you. Uh, let's fund infrastructure twice what it was before."

Infrastructure aide: "THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!! SIR, I HAVE NO WORDS!!! NONE!!!" Infrastructure aide walks out.

Financial aide: "Huh. Anyway, that should help."

Military aide: "I don't think that's remotely a good idea, but we'll try to make do."

Jero: "Good. How are we, technologically?"

Research aide: "Some capitalists might say that we're about thirty years behind them, but our technology rests on a study base, unhindered by corrupt corporations."

Jero: "Right. Just get a proper transport design. Diplomatic adviser: Buy some destroyer blueprints."

Research aide: "It will be done!"

Jero: "Meeting adjourned. We're done here." Most of the aides, along with Jero stand and begin leaving. One skinny, younger man looks taken aback by this.

Intelligence aide: "Sirs? Sir! Please, I haven't yet made my own ... I wonder why nobody ever listens to me."

(Actions: A line of tanks has been ordered to the border, with plenty of artillery behind them. A consumer goods factory has been started. Sadly, none of our artillery have the range to hit their capital.
I bought a few new troop designs, and balanced the budget successfully.
As the stacking penalty for units is 7, I'll call that a regiment.)

June 22th, 2020

Diplomatic aide: "Sir! The fools in East Siberia have declared war on us!"

((Sorry for the small update. That just seemed to be the perfect time to end it, and taking stock of my troops/ordering them around was taking a while.))

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

It always sucks when somebody declares war upon you that you can't attack.  You're forced to DefCom 3 until you bribe them into a ceasefire.  Well, sometimes you can just guilt them out of it, but only if you act all goody-goody.

Remember, when you sell someone your units, they get the blueprints to make those units for free!

Name an infantry battalion after me.  Paratroopers (anything that can airdrop) or engineers preferably.  We'll strike when you need us most.  The enemies, I mean...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »

How about some elite soldiers? They're better then standard airborne, and can airdrop.

The poll has been changed. I'm lucky enough that bandwidth isn't an issue for me, but it might be for some people following this. I'll likely see how 75% size pictures look in the next update.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »

Elite soldiers would be awesome!  We'll stab the soft underbelly of your enemies!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:36 am »

Okay then. Read this, you're going fine. Beware of the war SK can get on you because of casus beili caused by the sudden line of military bases on their border...

By the way, sell blueprints to South America for fun and profit. Specifically Venezuela, they can be worked in without any guilt.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 11:12:51 am »

Lurk.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »

I want a unit of Elite soldiers too!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

Sheb and EuchreJack each get a regiment of 7 elite soldiers named after themselves. There aren't enough left for anybody else to get a full regiment, but there are an abundance of tanks, artillery, and planes. Destroyers are on the production lines.

I just checked, and all of NK's starting transport planes are too small to carry elite infantry battalions, but I'll buy some plans and get to work on fixing that after building more aircraft factories.

Okay then. Read this, you're going fine. Beware of the war SK can get on you because of casus beili caused by the sudden line of military bases on their border...

By the way, sell blueprints to South America for fun and profit. Specifically Venezuela, they can be worked in without any guilt.
It's already maxed out, but I canceled the forts after I decided they were too expensive.
No blueprint selling.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 03:18:00 pm »

I would like to be an Admiral of some kind. Let my wrath destroy our enemies who attack us by sea.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »

Okay. Well then, if land and sea is taken, I'll take care of our glorious fighter/bomber fleet. Dibs on all the strat bombers we have + 3 new ones.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 05:36:54 pm »

Can I get a Destroyer named HMS Deadmeat? :D

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:29:56 pm »

June 27th, 2020

Diplomatic aide: "Sir! The fools in East Siberia have declared war on us!"

Jero: "Yes, you just said that. Please don't repeat yourself. Go deal with it."

Diplomatic aide: "Sir!"

June 28th, 2020
CNN news broadcast

Anchor: "In other news, the world narrowly avoided world war three. Yesterday, the East Siberian ambassador formally declared war against North Korea. In an astonishing turn of events, the warmongering North Koreans, under their new leadership, successfully talked them into a cease fire, rather then resort to their military. The East Siberians are refusing to comment, but the North Koreans are denouncing them for their belligerence.

Coming up: Scientists have announced the first successful test of their spinal regeneration techniques on a human."

June 28th, 2020
Presidential Palace

Jero: "Excellent work with drinking that ambassador under the table."

Spoiler: Peace? (click to show/hide)

((Immediate actions: Peace with East Siberia, purchased a short-ranged helicopter able to carry four battalions of elite soldiers from the Russians. They also have the plans for a massive plane able to carry a full two regiments, but they'll charge billions for the plans, and each costs two billion dollars to build. I started building two more aircraft factories, so I should have two helicopters within half a year, and the four needed to transport both elite regiments 60 days after that.))

June 30th, 2020
Presidential Palace

Military aide: "After the incident, two Lt. Colonels from our elite forces showed exceptional organizational talent and reaction times, each swiftly mobilizing their battalions and preparing to hold back the incoming tide until we could get tanks out there. Sir, I have no doubt that if it had come to hostilities, Lt. Colonel Sheb and EuchreJack alone would have saved our northern front."

Jero: "Very well, promote them each to Colonel of their regiment of special forces."

Militiary aide: "I'm sure they will be overjoyed. There was something else - We don't have planes large enough to drop them behind enemy lines."

Jero: "So? Just buy some from the Russians or something."

Military aide: "It will be done."

July 1st, 2020
Presidential Palace

Domestic aide: "Sir! Greater Malasia has declared war! They aren't much of a threat, and I don't know why."

Jero: "..."

Domestic aide: "Uh, yes sir, understood. I'll go drink their ambassador under the table tonight, and get him to sign a peace treaty."

July 5th, 2020
Presidential Palace

Diplomatic aide: "Sir! The -"

Jero: "'Sir!' This and 'Sir!' that. Unless it's something that's actually a threat, I don't want to hear about it."

Diplomatic aide: "Err ... Not really a threat to your greatness, but you might be interested in knowing that the traitors in the south have finally decided to strike."

Jero: "Huh. Are our forces in position yet?"

Military aide: "Mostly, but a few of the artillery pieces are still being wheeled out of storage."

Jero: "In that case, let's annex them." Jero, the military aide, and the diplomatic aide begin walking out of the room.

Intelligence aide: "Sir!! They've been planning this for months! I've tried to bring it up at every meeting, but was ignored. The front half of my weekly reports has been about this. The-"

Jero: "No time to discuss this in committee. We're at war."

Intelligence aide: "I put up notices about it in large red print around the building last week."

Jero: "AH! I knew something had changed about the decor." The three leave.

Intelligence aide: "Become a fisherman, my father said. Family tradition, my father said. No, I just had to want to improve the world ..."

War description:
At the start of the war, we have a line of tank regiments. Behind them are lines of howitzer artillery, 6 to a stack, plus one of our only good AA units in each artillery stack. They have an unknown number of artillery just outside of our artillery range, shelling our tanks from the relative safety of their cities.
I do what any sane person would do, and call in airstrikes.

Enemy artillery severely lightened, and about a half of my airforce needing repair, I recall the planes and advance my line while simultaneously recalling the tank battalions that need repairs.
I order my western forces to advance on their main industrial area, intending to encircle it. My eastern flank advances, with my remaining airforce bombing enemy tanks that get too close.

I marginally underestimated the forces in their capital, and returned my forces to their starting line, while the understrengthed battalions retreated for repairs, to be cycled in with fresh battalions. Starting to get slightly concerned by the number of enemy forces, I begin looking for nuclear weapons.

I fail to find any.

I'm still not particularly worried. Sure, a steady stream of tank battalions is leaving the front line in shambles, but we've got plenty more. I send in some of the reserves. Having never had many missiles in the first place, we're running desperately low on them for bomber use. They may need to resort to their standard bombs soon. My treasury is down to $350 million, from the $750 million at the start of the war.

Some enemy naval vessels off the eastern coast are apparently in range to hit my heavy bombers. I pull them back and send out some subs. They quickly succeeded. The western front has mostly quieted down by this point, so I send in my spies to spot for the artillery.

It is now June 10th. I'm down to $222 million, and only a third of my airforce is still at full strength, but I haven't lost any squadrons yet. Less then two dozen tank battalions have had to retreat for repairs, and I have plenty more in reserve. I've only now realized that I forgot to bring military maintenance spending back to full. Ah, well.

Progress has been limited, but this is to be expected, considering how close the front is to their capital. We have destroyed several of their battalions, and sent an unknown-but-hopefully-large number back for repairs.
Kaguro, you'll get the nine submarines on our eastern flank.
Deadmeat, you'll get the first destroyer.
LordSlowpoke, sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4