Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How big, MB-wise, should updates be? (Pick one, please)

Text only, plus thumbnails
- 7 (12.7%)
< 512 KB
- 8 (14.5%)
0.5 - 1 MB
- 9 (16.4%)
1-2 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
2-5 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
5-10 MB
- 1 (1.8%)
As big as needed.
- 28 (50.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020  (Read 13231 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »

I recently bought Supreme Ruler 2020, played around a bit, and decided it would be a good game to LP.

What is it?
It's a grand strategy, taking place in a hypothetical year 2020. The world has not yet ended in nuclear war. The player may invent SDI defense satellites to prevent such a catastrophe from happening (to themselves. And maybe some allies. But we don't like our allies enough to save them. I do not know if the AI builds them).
Also: Ethiopia can annex the Middle East, and sell oil at exorbitantly high prices.

What do you need from us?
I'll decide what to do next based mostly on what the people in the thread want.
For now, decide who we're playing as, and which campaign I'm playing.

Choices for campaign are:
Global Crisis - The world of ten years in the future, as predicted by the developers. A standard campaign.
Shattered World - The major power blocks are broken into smaller pieces. All states in the USA are alone yet have good relations, allowing us to conquer the world as Hawaii or something.

Choices for who we are:
Anyone! Note that if you pick a small, boring nation, I'll post small, boring updates. I'm still mostly new at this game, and cannot easily conquer the USA using Cuba. Units available for research are based on region, with a pool of units available for any region.
I'd prefer to try conquering the world with North Korea.
Please don't pick Hawaii.

Personal rules:
No tech brokering. Apparently it's possible to get quite rich by buying tech from the USA, then selling it to African powers. Boring; our economy will stand on its own feet. I may buy unit techs for myself if I feel the need.
No buying unit blueprints I cannot use. I must have both the prerequisite techs and the tech level of the unit.
I may only buy/steal blueprints from Chinese and Russian factions. The capitalists cannot be trusted.

Other rules may be decided on by the people watching.

List of Updates:
None yet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:06:28 pm by Nirur Torir »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Supreme Ruler 202
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:37 pm »

Apparently it's possible to get quite rich by buying tech from the USA, then selling it to African powers. Boring; our economy will stand on its own feet. I may buy unit techs for myself if I feel the need.

In 2020 the Internet doesn't exist.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Supreme Ruler 2020
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:47 pm »

I've been waiting for someone to do a LP of this game!  I'm voting for Shattered Union, as it reduces all those pesty superpowers into more-manageable parts.

I'd suggest allying with lots of nations and enabling allied victory.  Then you do not have to conquer everybody.

The down side is that you'll feel like the United Nations instead of a superpower, lol.

Pick an African Nation!  Low tech levels (except South Africa) and generally lots of untapped potential.  Also, a more volatile world will give you more excuses to fight.

I'm actually thinking of picking up this game myself.

Fighting as North Korea is also fun, as you'll likely be attacked by South Korea within the first few months.  In most games I've played, South Korea has destroyed North Korea by the end of the first year.  But I imagine a human player could probably hold out long enough for the mad "badboy" factor of South Korea's Aggression to get them killed.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:10:59 am »

North Korea it is!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

June 17th, 2020
The People's Broadcast of Truth

"Today, I have witnessed greatness. Our glorious old leader has unexpectedly decided to retire, leaving his formerly unannounced protégé, Jero, in charge. Beneficent Jero's first task was to review the local garrisons, set in place to guard our southern borders against rebel incursions."

Spoiler: Our southern defenses (click to show/hide)

"After several minutes of silently crying manly tears of joy at the sight, our Great Leader immediately granted all members of the uppermost echelon of the chain-of-command an immediate vacation of indeterminate length. Huzzah for the Great One's generosity! He then returned to his palace and re-familiarized himself with some highly classified documents."

"Glorious Leader then met with people in important looking uniforms. He ordained that the production lines would produce Russian T-62 tanks, some self-propelled anti-tank weapons, MLRS artillery, as well as some antiquated anti-aircraft guns from World War II, the best guns in our arsonal for shooting down swift enemy plans ((Read: Only. The rest of them can only hit helicopters)). Noticing a serious deficiency in our platforms for launching longer-ranged missiles, he met with a delegation from China to purchase the designs for SCUD launchers."

"The Grand One also requested that strategic bomber construction begin, as well as the production of frigates and patrol boats for missile support. He lamented that his predecessor only built one missile factory.
Privately, he announced that we have 1250 battalions, 61 squadrons of aircraft, and 89 ships. Truely, no rebel shall stop the might of Korea!"

"Today heralds a great dawn. Long live Korea!"

===============

June 18th, 2020
Presidential Palace

Jero awoke with a scream, and his aides rushed in, desperately looking around for trouble.

He looked at them for a few seconds before calming down. "Just ... just a bad dream. It must have been."

One aide nodded and beamed disconcertingly, then handed him a manila folder. "Understandable. Here, I've compiled the financial documents." Jero paled when he opened the folder, then did something regrettable.

"Sir, please stop bashing your head through the wall. Not only is it undignified, but the wall doesn't need even more holes."

Spoiler: Sadness. (click to show/hide)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:30 am »

>Sell coal to people for fun and profit!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »

So, is this game any good?

Also, dear god, is that hexagons? :| (Looking at the shape of your borders suggests hexagons.) Damn it, I hate hex based systems. =( I mean, traditional squares are technically octogons that tessalate with squares. Hexes annoy me because of difficult of movement.

Conquer those damn South Koreans.

Because...

"He's just plain bad."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:12:32 pm »

I consider it fun, or I wouldn't be doing an LP of it. Yes, it's hex based. Yes, I will conquer all of traditional Korea, or die trying.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »

Is it possible to unite the country / rename your country?

So, say, make "North Korea" into "Korea" or unite the states of America into the "USA"?
"He's just plain bad."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »

So, is this game any good?

Also, dear god, is that hexagons? :| (Looking at the shape of your borders suggests hexagons.) Damn it, I hate hex based systems. =( I mean, traditional squares are technically octogons that tessalate with squares. Hexes annoy me because of difficult of movement.

Conquer those damn South Koreans.

Because...

The relative distance of hexs remains constant, where as the orthogonal distance for using squares is 1.5.

For myself, this makes hex grid superior to square grids. It makes dealing with intervening distances easier to mange. So, I not sure what cha mean on the difficulty of movement.
---

This seems like a neat game. Looking forward to future updates!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:14 pm »

Posting to follow.

I have a copy of Supreme Ruler 2020 here anyway. But I suck terribly. Maybe because I always played Moldova.

Such cases.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »

I mean that it's necessary to look at hexes and count how many you're travelling, whereas you can usually do it automatically with squares.

Like I said, most square grids are basically octogons. =p Just imagine it as a pattern of octogons with squares at the edges.
"He's just plain bad."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

As it's real-time with pausing instead of turn-based, exact hex distance doesn't seem to usually matter all that much.

I'll try to get in about one update per day, at least at the start. Sorry about the low quality of the pictures in the first update. It's actually due to resizing and not them being .jpgs, but I'll try to find better ways to keep future updates from mauling people with limited bandwidth.

Is it possible to unite the country / rename your country?

So, say, make "North Korea" into "Korea" or unite the states of America into the "USA"?
I'm afraid not, but I'll see if the name in the saved game can be modified later, once it comes up.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »

I hate trade deals in this game. Even if you have something they need, they are extremely reluctant to trade with you. DAMMIT DUDE JUST TRADE.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:49:53 am »

Nice. Then Invade China, for great glory!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:49:29 am »

>Sell overpriced water to Saudi Arabia.

Makes up to their overpriced oil.  Somewhat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4