Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59

Author Topic: How have you been dying recently?  (Read 159187 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How have you been dying recently?
« Reply #810 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »

After a long pause out of Adventure mode, i went back to it and rolled a new dwarf character, i decided to build basically a Ambusher Marksdwarf (with a bit of Archer skill) and increase those in priority during character creation.

So far so good until i got that "kill that guy" mission in the catacombs under the town main castle

Spotted him, and started to sneak a bit closer so i wouldn't miss.
I then took the shot
Target hit !

Then... Dead

My character was dead i mean, because i just forgot that even with a good level of marksdwarf , reloading the crossbow is automatic and takes -a lot- of turns.

So all those turns that played instantly for me had in fact all the bandits that were near the target guy to rush my position and proceed to utterly destroy my character by hammering, swording, and lashing at him non stop for several of those turns that played instantly from my POV

Will have to remember that for the next guy :D

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 28, 2014, 05:36:53 pm »

I tried to play as a melee fighter I got my wrestling to legendary and my striker/kicking skill pretty high. of course then I was given a quest to kill a night creature

I brought along a elf axeman and a elf pike-master...they didn't last long as there was 6 night creatures in there, in the end I died FROM MY SPINE BEING BROKE. that's twice I died via spine breaking. :c at least I got to have fun killing and throwing elephants into the ocean.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:32 am »

After killing a creature of the night and her spouse (a dwarf she transformed into one according to the legends) and losing a companion in the process (the crone was strong) , we managed to kill a troll in a lair we discovered during travel.

Just out of ammo after a wolf ambushing, i decided to go back to town with my 2 remaining human allies to see if there was by chance a shop with some bolts, but finding no such thing i ended in buying a warhammer as my marksdwarf had some training in the related skill from fighting with the crossbow in melee.

After sleeping up to dawn, i went into the town outskirt and found a stray hen that reminded my dwarf of his past with his family under attacks by stray hens packs :D decided to get revenge i gave a try to my warhammer by aiming an attack at it and as expected missed, but i had the nasty surprise to see that this action led into my 2 allies becoming hostile and attacking me with complete murder intent .

Well, let's say it was short,as they had some good pike skills and i had a low warhammer one.
Surprising to see that human allies seems to care about stray hen so much they would go to murder their long time battle pals .

Or that stray hen had in fact some powerful psy power and took control of those human pikemen :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:42:16 am by Robsoie »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 29, 2014, 03:08:26 pm »

I got punched to death by a large group of kobolds after I passed out from exhaustion when I was trying to kill them all. :P
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

mastamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 31, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

explored the abandoned fortress of a friend of mine, a huge crevice with the rooms on the side and such.

in my search for the artifact shield i descended into the fortress, i encountered a demon, beheaded him without much trouble
<repeat for 23 floors>

upon arriving on the 24 floor of the fortress, very, very deep.
i saw a corner, and i heard the faint sounds of combat, a demon was receiving a lot of pain.
a moment later the demon was propelled into the crevice, by a monster unknown to me.
then, i saw the shield, just around THAT corner, i thought that i could sneak and then outrun that monster....

i picked up the shield, while sneaking, i was spotted, and saw the monster that killed everyone...
he was made of adamantine, had claws, and wings.
i started running, up, to the exit.

when i reached the surface, he took the air, and kicked me into the crevice, falling 100 Z levels down, dead, together with all the dwarf corpses and other dead things at the bottom.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »

explored the abandoned fortress of a friend of mine, a huge crevice with the rooms on the side and such.

in my search for the artifact shield i descended into the fortress, i encountered a demon, beheaded him without much trouble
<repeat for 23 floors>

upon arriving on the 24 floor of the fortress, very, very deep.
i saw a corner, and i heard the faint sounds of combat, a demon was receiving a lot of pain.
a moment later the demon was propelled into the crevice, by a monster unknown to me.
then, i saw the shield, just around THAT corner, i thought that i could sneak and then outrun that monster....

i picked up the shield, while sneaking, i was spotted, and saw the monster that killed everyone...
he was made of adamantine, had claws, and wings.
i started running, up, to the exit.

when i reached the surface, he took the air, and kicked me into the crevice, falling 100 Z levels down, dead, together with all the dwarf corpses and other dead things at the bottom.

This is madness.

No, this.... IS.... DWARF FORTRESS!!!

Anyway, I've died several times now during early game by accidentally pressing shift+s instead of shift+a, causing me to break sneak in the middle of twenty bandits with no companions and no armor... I really need to build that muscle memory.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 27, 2014, 08:50:11 am »

so, i got a copy of a friend's world yesterday.
worldgen: 2000 years
fortress: lasted 1256 years
-how did it end: magma safety device switched on, someone broke the off switch, entire fortress died.
-however, my friend was able to sell every single artifact the dwarves made in the nick of time.

so, i start an adventure :)
found some minor artifact armor and weapons, lets search for more in the wild.
after a few hours i was legendary swordsman and ambusher.
i hear: you will remember the demonic lizards! if you live!
1 guy, i thought, aw how cute, im going to split him in half :)
he had the 4 most valuable artifacts for armor and weapon, a total weight of 600, 300 for the sword.
every hit launched me 2 tiles away, and i did not even scratch him.
so we kept on fighting for 2 ingame days non stop, me being a vampire and some honeybadger conveniently came by.
i finally started bruising him!!!!! while after each hit i delivered i got knocked back 2 tiles.
on the 4th day, the worst happened: someone else came... with a giant 250 weighing silver hammer artifact.
luckily he was very slow, but the sword guy tunnelvisioned on me, and got his brain scattered over the battlefield....
and then i died, by the hammer, because my torso went airborne  8) while the limbs laid on the ground  :'(
Uhuh. How did he last 1256 years without fps death? Also, how did he sell artifacts? There is no way to.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:51 am »

so, i got a copy of a friend's world yesterday.
worldgen: 2000 years
fortress: lasted 1256 years
-how did it end: magma safety device switched on, someone broke the off switch, entire fortress died.
-however, my friend was able to sell every single artifact the dwarves made in the nick of time.

so, i start an adventure :)
found some minor artifact armor and weapons, lets search for more in the wild.
after a few hours i was legendary swordsman and ambusher.
i hear: you will remember the demonic lizards! if you live!
1 guy, i thought, aw how cute, im going to split him in half :)
he had the 4 most valuable artifacts for armor and weapon, a total weight of 600, 300 for the sword.
every hit launched me 2 tiles away, and i did not even scratch him.
so we kept on fighting for 2 ingame days non stop, me being a vampire and some honeybadger conveniently came by.
i finally started bruising him!!!!! while after each hit i delivered i got knocked back 2 tiles.
on the 4th day, the worst happened: someone else came... with a giant 250 weighing silver hammer artifact.
luckily he was very slow, but the sword guy tunnelvisioned on me, and got his brain scattered over the battlefield....
and then i died, by the hammer, because my torso went airborne  8) while the limbs laid on the ground  :'(

Dat save... i want it NOW

Edit: beaten to it
Can you ask your friend to upload the world to DFFD? I want to play it!

How did he spread around the artifacts like that?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:23:31 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:16 am »

Saiyans are diiiiicks.

Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Oberyn Smashedface

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 27, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

Started as a human outsider on top of an elf treehouse. Climbed down and saw some humans approaching.  Me: "Any problems lately"? One of them: "Same as ever", and then he immediately bashes my face in with a flail. I think it took about 10 turns for me to die, which is a record (for me, anyway).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 28, 2014, 02:56:00 am »

I jumped over the edge of a river gorge in mountains, thinking the bottom was two, maybe three z levels down, turned out to be far enough to make me explode when I hit the brook floor. Mission accomplished anyway as I wanted to destroy the isolated civ I was in, the only ones left are two dwarves in one of the hillocks and a dwarven outcast (who, according to legends viewer, seems to now be the king) in another hillock that didn't seem to actually exist, so, it's effectively destroyed.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 28, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »

Two words: Undead Weasel.

If you ever encounter one, don't even bother to run. They are fast enough to run to the edge of the map and back before you can lift your eyebrow. Which also makes them close to impossible to hit, even as legendary fighter. You will eventually die from exhaustion.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #822 on: September 28, 2014, 09:55:36 pm »

I still can't get used to the new combat. I get eviscerated even in one-on-one with the average humanoid, even if I have good equipment.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Ofna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 29, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »

Fingers....Fingers broken everywhere....

But seriously, why does a single broken finger cause you to pass out? I've lost 6 adventurers in a week due to broken fingers...

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 30, 2014, 09:24:54 am »

I threw a warthog by his left ear at myself and smashed my skull open.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59