Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 59

Author Topic: How have you been dying recently?  (Read 159178 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: How have you been dying recently?
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:55 am »

In Masterwork I got my ass chased down by 4 beak dogs, 3 yetis, 5 harpies, and 3 foul blendecs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 02, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »

Fell a good 20 Z levels.
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:55 am »

Giant fucking rad scorpions.
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:44 am »

Made a skilled axedwarf, got ambushed by bogeymen in the first day of my travels, killed them all except one - while he was laying on the ground in extreme pain and heavily bleeding, somehow he kicked my head tearing apart my brain. Life sucks.
Dabbling Overseer

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 05, 2013, 09:22:30 am »

I made a new adventurer and got a quest to kill the same necromancer that was hiding behind the mountains where I couldn't fast-travel, I forgot about the quest and traveled north, where I got stopped at night because of a mindflayer spearman, I was trying to run and also trying to find out what was happening as the reports showed the spearman attacking a kangaroo, what's weird is that the mindflayer came out of a river, so I'll say he was fighting a kangaroo in the river, I don't know what's a mindflayer but from the tile it looks like it's a centipede... a human centipede, that was not how I died, I just ended dying because of a few bashes and stabs.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 06, 2013, 12:05:01 pm »

^Mind Flayers are creatures from Dungeons and Dragons, they're vaguely humanoid but with hairless purple skin and four tentacles surrounding a lamprey-like mouth. They stun people with mind blasts and eat their brains.

My latest adventurer was ambushed by two minotaurs and three wolves before she even had a full set of armor. Fell into a stagnant pool and died from being attacked on all sides while drowning.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 06, 2013, 04:21:08 pm »

I _think_ you will never get ambushed while walking across the map, so you could have avoided the attack by staying away from fast-travel before you were able to survive an ambush. Getting swimming up to adequate is also strongly recommended before going anywhere dangerous. I once survived an ambush of about a dozen hyenas by diving into a stagnant pool and luring them in one by one.

My most recent death is a while ago - i simply wasn't aware of how exactly novice swimming works (i'm still not quite sure) and tried to train in the sea. I instantly started drowning upon entering the water and novice swimmers apparently need an upward ramp to get out of water, which the seacoast usually hasn't. My companion happily dipped in, probably to encourage me, but i couldn't make it to adequate before my breath ran out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »

Skill changes actually wouldn't affect your ability to swim until you get back out of the water; you can pass from dabbling to novice in water and still drown unless you climb back out.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »

What killed me wasn't so much the inability to properly swim, but the inability to get out because of the steep bank, which had never been a problem for adequate or better swimmers. Even if reaching adequate hadn't fixed the swimming problem (which i'm not at all sure of), it might well have helped with leaving the water.

Keeping on drowning when novice seems to be normal behaviour - it happened just the same when stepping under a bridge while swimming at novice: the 'drowning' status didn't go away when stepping out from under the bridge, only when leaving the water. No skill level gains involved in that one.

Edit: I started out a character yesterday and used the opportunity to check it out: stepped under a bridge and back out immediately before advancing from 'novice' to 'adequate' swimmer. Going to 'adequate' _did_ stop drowning. Interestingly enough, it didn't stop 'floundering'. To get rid of that, i had to leave the water.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:27:25 am by Larix »

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:05 pm »

Made a demigod draconian (human size, mix of dwarven and goblin customs, city-builder, likes mountains, and can fly).

Maxed out the attribute distributions as best I could, gave him novice swimmer and reader, poured the rest into observer, and went.

Became a multi-legendary hero of 8 civilizations with only scars and a couple of fallen comrades, all satisfactorily avenged (draconian ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ENCOURAGED).

Quite LITERALLY took an arrow to the knee and was then pincushioned by 2 bowmen and a crossbowman for 20 pages before bleeding out.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Lord Lukjan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:30 am »

WHy does people not try to get up archery and use xbows against ranged too???
I mean, if the archers are a real archnemesis of adventurers, why not use their weapon against them??

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:15 pm »

WHy does people not try to get up archery and use xbows against ranged too???
I mean, if the archers are a real archnemesis of adventurers, why not use their weapon against them??
Because throwing is just as effective and everyone DOES train that. Carrying a launcher around is just extra weight - your own body IS a bow or crossbow.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 08, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »

They already do, although usually by throwing - takes less time and doesn't use up the ammunition. And while the lower accuracy of throwing reduces the effective range somewhat (unless you go overboard with flinging clay and just don't care about the wasted time), the extra power from shot arrows/bolts is rarely needed.

In open combat, archery generally works for the enemy - they almost always have a large edge in number, which translates to them having more archers and getting more arrows and bolts in the air in the same amount of time. Since a single hit from an archer will completely cripple you, cause you to pass out from pain or send you to the ground about two times out of three, you can probably imagine how countering archers with fewer archers is likely to turn out.

All that being said, i absolutely love creeping up on a bandit camp all stealthily and sniping them one by one. And i damn sure use a bow/crossbow for that, just feels more honest than hand-throwing arrows with deadly force. And when the extra force matters - e.g. when trying to reliably cause harm to a bronze colossus with low-grade metals or fighting a demon - bows and crossbows are pretty nifty.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 08, 2013, 03:08:12 pm »

then I revived myself and notice this in my inventory.

here's another gem I had.

Spoiler: You Miss You (click to show/hide)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »

My first thought was "but that can't happen."

My second was "oh wait, its Rumrusher who posted that."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 59