Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59

Author Topic: How have you been dying recently?  (Read 159251 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: How have you been dying recently?
« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »

After generating a world with 1300+ year history, I am getting steamrolled by absolutely everything in it.

I have found that the brutemen who become vampires are displayed as such: "minotaur vampire" or "ettin vampire." I met one in a keep, and when I accused him of being a night creature he basically said "ahahahaha you got me! Yep, I'm a vampire." He was still not hostile towards me.

However, I met two of these vampires in a den outside a town, where they literally butchered me.
I have a habit of removing the raws that stop their physical attributes from going up, so 1000+ year-old vampires tend to punch people and they explode.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »

The attempt at a buck naked dwarf was a qualified success - the biggest opponents killed were a giraffe and a few ettins and cyclopes. It's not much fun playing that variant in a world that's been thoroughly used for adventuring already - no werebeasts, no named animals, no bandit camps, only giant humanoids and megabeasts. Against anything significantly larger than a dwarf kicks and punches will not break bones (even when the opponent is prone) and all wrestling moves automatically fail. Standing next to an ettin while stealthed and kicking it in the chest a few hundred times will still bruise its lungs enough to eventually let it expire from suffocation. Not much fun, though.

So i just went and sent my dwarf into a labyrinth. 'nuff said.

Or, in more words - if you want to face a minotaur and live, you need a weapon that can take the beast off its feet. Kicks with 'master' skill aren't enough.

Narsil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »

Started out in the Genesis mod as a barbarian outsider in year 2. I spawned next to a goblin village and the whole village decided to aggro on me. I managed to kill the first few easily with a copper spear, and decided to test my luck on destroying the rest of the town.

The next house I entered, the master of the goblins appeared.

It was a white dragon.

After getting my leg bitten off, I proceeded to stab it in the head, the first shot missed, the second shot glanced, but the third shot somehow fatally wounded him and he ended up dying of blood loss.

After crawling away, my spine, kidney, pancreas, and arms severely frostbitten, I tried to light some fires to try and.. save my limbs, I guess.

And then the rest of the village came out. Crawling, bleeding, freezing to death, I managed to kill 7 more goblins, and then a clothier with dual iron knives stabbed me and I died of blood loss before I could even attack.

On a side note, is there actually a way to survive frostbite? I put fires all around myself except for one space, but I was still getting the "You are freezing to death!" message.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:32 am »

Wait what? You are freezing to death? First time I'm hearing this. And this is vanilla?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2013, 02:29:55 am »

I tried another adventure, and bled to death due to melting. Apparently, the environment was so goddamn hot that when I went for a swim, the water boiled me like a lobster. Note to self: don't turn the temperatures up to 100 maximum ever again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #545 on: January 28, 2013, 12:32:33 am »

Wait what? You are freezing to death? First time I'm hearing this. And this is vanilla?
Nah, mods. All kinds of crap happens in mods.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 28, 2013, 04:34:35 am »

Started up my first adventurer, recruited a hammerman and went out to do a quest.

A short distance from the starting village I happened upon a horse, which I thought I'd kill and butcher for some extra supplies.

I attacked, expecting my hammerman to help out, but it turns out he had some affections for said horse, so he started attacking me instead.
I finished him off quickly enough, chopping all his limbs off to make him pay for his betrayal, and then turned my attention once more to the horse.

At this point, having finished off a armed, full-grown man, I thought it'd be a breeze.

The horse kicked me in my face and I died. Ow.

Now I'm wondering: Has anyone made a mod yet where you can play as a horse (or similar hooved-creature, I've also noticed that camels are equally all-powerful)?
It'd be easy-mode DF then.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:10 am »

This is the more strange way I have been killed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I killed a goblin in a fortress tower (just in the top of the stairs), and in the next turn I went down the stairs, and all the items of the goblin crushed me!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:59:19 am by McFeel »

genasi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2013, 10:20:32 am »

I just created my first custom world after learning how to edit the ini files correctly (as in: no endless rejects). Excited, I made a basic human swordsman to check the feel of it.

After checking the route to my first quest, I noticed a fortress between me and my objective. So I stopped along the way to pick up some companions and maybe get some pieces of equipment from chests. I went up the stairs, opened a door and was promply greeted by the Lord.... a Dracolich, no less. He chopped off a foot and and an arm of mine in the first round of combat, finished me off in the second one before I could crawl back to the stairs and then proceeded to reanimate my corpse.

At least he became an enemy of the kingdom he took over when settling there

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2013, 12:44:50 pm »

God damn livestock. :(
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Someguyfromcrowd

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [VGTG]
    • View Profile
    • dA
« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »

I went for a swim.

A sturgeon ripped off my left arm, right hand, both of legs (but took my right foot first), teeth, and tongue.

I died, floating off in many small chunks.
I built a dwarf fortress and all I got was this lousy zombie invasion.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:07 pm »

Sturgeons are basically underwater rhinoceroses. They're rated at 1,5 m³ (when adult), which for a fish means roughly one and a half tons. Wikipedia says there's been a record sturgeon of this size a few centuries ago, but typically a really big one will weigh about 300kg, a bit heavier than a tiger.

I run into 'surprise, you're dead' moments way too often:
The dwarf kicks you in the hand, shattering the bone through the bismuth bronze gauntlet - you are deceased.
Sneaking up to a sturgeon: You have been spotted! - You are deceased.
And recently: You throw the monitor lizard! - You are deceased.

Yes, there are messages in between, but in all cases it was basically something goes wrong - bang dead, no input taken in between.
The monitor lizard was actually quite hilarious - apparently, throwing drops the creature on a random spot within range, and if it lands on your spot (and you have dodging turned off), it's basically you getting hit in the face with a large falling object.

And not my death, but that of all my twelve companions - sleeping in the wilderness, got jumped upon by a gang of twenty bandits, and my entire party groggy from waking up. I got away of course and got another (eighteen!) mercenaries and got my revenge - the damn stupid bandits tried to ambush us again, but this time during the day. Using companions to handle bandit camps really is a tricky business, the higher level bandits have ridiculously large groups, complete with a handful of weaponmasters, and since your companions attack with the tried and proven (to be disastrous) dwarven suicide charge, the defenders have an immense tactical advantage. Handling a roc with all of five companions left was a picknick by comparison.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 30, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »

I had never tried using macros to train before, so I decided to do a little sneak/swimming macro to train.

I apparently picked a most unfortunate murky pool to train in. As the macro has me swimming back and forth, two alligators plop down from the nearby river. Before I realized what was happening, one of them ripped my hand off. My jerky macro-swimming spearman did manage to mortally wound the alligator in the process.

After safely clearing out the alligators, I macro-swam a little more.

Then the pool froze.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »

I was brutally murdered while playing the DBZ mod.
Mother fucking Buu.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 31, 2013, 02:51:17 am »

The Dark Monster, now I  know why i fear the night.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59