Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59

Author Topic: How have you been dying recently?  (Read 162203 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: How have you been dying recently?
« Reply #345 on: September 14, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »

I got lost in the frozen wastelands of my world and stumbled upon a bandit camp with a macelord who managed to hit my upper body and send the part flying in a severed arc... Reminded me of Fallout 3/New Vegas
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

bobboy555

• Bay Watcher
  • A man who needs no introduction.
    • View Profile
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »

I got instantly killed by a goblin lasher. I didn't even have time to see him. It was pretty funny.

So my adventurer took down about three roving kobold gangs in the sewers and then got eaten by a giant dingo. It sucked.

!!DINGOES!!. the single most dangerous and bloodthirsty creatures in dwarf fortress...
So, yeah, a stack of 2000 copper coins covered in vile ash that makes you vomit blood to death is my signature weapon.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 21, 2012, 12:29:31 am »

One time I tried sleep in non desert/mountain place...
Bogeymen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:59 am »

Evidently even with superior agility, a dwarf is slower than shit when lugging around a metal shield.

Also known as anything less than 1500 speed vs a lasher = repeated lashing to death.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 21, 2012, 06:14:18 am »

Aim for his lashing arm to disable him = instant kill

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 21, 2012, 06:26:37 am »

Not if you can't land a hit and he lashes you in your weapon and shield arms. Kicking and biting is very inefficent against a guy with a large shield.

Had I gone up against him as a human or an outsider, I probably would have killed him no problem (shields don't seem to impact humans as badly as armor speed wise, and alot of the metals dwarves can have is really heavy.)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:07 am »

Well if you get  a crossbow man as your back buddy

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 21, 2012, 06:38:48 am »

I didn't bring back up. I find I end up facing even more enemies if I bring allies (averaging 2-3 for every friendly.) I was just going to kill the lasher and bug out since he was the target, but that backfired horribly. Leg wounds against a lasher may as well be fatal no matter what in adventure mode if you aren't the lasher. ::)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 21, 2012, 07:05:03 am »

I didn't bring back up. I find I end up facing even more enemies if I bring allies (averaging 2-3 for every friendly.) I was just going to kill the lasher and bug out since he was the target, but that backfired horribly. Leg wounds against a lasher may as well be fatal no matter what in adventure mode if you aren't the lasher. ::)
yea i versed a werecreature who ripped off mu legs and held me in place on my nose for a good 10 minutes teal time
fun times  ;_;

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »

yea i versed a werecreature who ripped off mu legs and held me in place on my nose for a good 10 minutes teal time
fun times  ;_;

Soooo....he grabbed you by the nose, for 10 minutes O_o?
I remember a bolt hitting on of my allies in the nose, shooting it right off.

Omegatron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 28, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »

After a long battle with a vampire, he bit my head off.
A true Dwarf would rather die than be sober!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

Ghosts, bandits, and stray HFS.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ilirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2012, 02:43:12 am »

I always laughed at a vampire's rediculously long kill list... Then I thought "what if they named every sentient being they killed when you accused them?" O.o

Related because I was killed by a vampire when he broke my legs and arms and that tore my throat out. I bled to death in less than 10 turns.

EDIT:

Another death. I was sent to kill a dragon with about 20 companions helping out. Turns out his dragonfire set several items on the floor on fire, and those who didn't have shields. As I was looting the cave I made sure not to pick up any flaming item but what with the smoke and the burning, soon my right hand was melting. As I made my way out crawling slowly under the horde of companions, about half of them died of blood loss. I myself was heavily bleeding from my right hand.

I made it outside with the half smart enough to bring a shield/ not touch that shiny !!pigtail fiber pouch!! full of coins or something, and promptly bled to death before I could Travel.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:35:41 am by Ilirion »

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 05, 2012, 05:08:50 am »

My elven swordswoman descended into the depths of a town dungeon. At first, it was rather routine.. She slaughtered all the humans and goblins that attacked her, moving down... Eventually, she came to a series of doorless rooms.

The first room contained a Lasher, a Speargoblin, and a Bowgoblin. I 'shot' the first two in the legs with thrown iron arrows, dodged the archer's attacks, and then got a lucky 'scratch' in on his head. Shattering his skull, and tearing his brain with my fingers. I dispatched the two, then moved to the hallway leading into the next room, a rather long narrow room filled with goblins.. It contained two swordsmen, one pikeman, one pikemaster, one overlord with an axe, one hammerman, one axeman, one maceman, one bowman, and TWO elite bowmen. The first volley that hit me (From the end of the very long narrow room) stuck an arrow in my lungs, and two in my arm. No big deal. I threw bolts at the pikeman and the swordsmen, causing them to pass out from pain. Cut off the hammerman's leg. Next volley of arrows, I dodged, as well as the attacks from the rest. I felt rather good at that point, killed the pikemaster with an arrow to the head, slashed the maceman's hands off, dodged attacks from the overlord, and even got in a lucky counter. By then, I felt pretty tough. The next volley mostly missed, with an arrow getting caught in my eye. Ow, but bearable.

I swung at the overlord a few times, but he managed to dodge, so I caught him by the throat, strangled him until he passed out, and decapitated him with my sword. Next volley of attacks flew, and I managed to dodge. By now, I headed towards the archers, dodging another volley as I moved. Once I got close enough, I threw a total of five arrows, killing one of the elites, causing the other two archers to pass out from pain, and the second elite to drop his weapon. I let out a short victory cheer, then moved to finish off the fighters before they could recover. One set of headshots later, I moved back towards the archers... And realized what a stupid mistake I made. The 'harmless' archer that supposedly was passed out managed to wake up, and shoot me directly in the upper spine. Down I went, falling down, utterly paralyzed and reduced to a whopping 428 speed. I crawled over to those two archers and headbutted them to death, via 'Giant Sponge' tactics, then sat down to rest, thinking I /might/ have only taken minor damage.

This was the second freaking mistake. I forgot that in a dungeon, sleeping would cause it to unload and reload, respawning it's contents. When I woke up, there I was, still paralyzed from the neck down... Surrounded by a fresh wave of goblins, including elites.

But this is dwarf fortress. I did not give up. I freaking found a way to spit those arrows at the goblins, and watched them fall. I kept 'throwing' arrows at the archers until they couldn't breath, then caused the rest of the goblins in the room to pass out from pain. Then headbutted them, ala-giant sponge mode... By then, my body was filled with arrows, lash wounds, pike stabs, and I even had a silver spear sticking out of my heart. Arrows in my lungs, all through my spine, and I still had one sticking out of my eye. I managed to kill all those goblins, though. Then I crawled out of the room, got ambushed by the next batch that respawned, and managed to kill them, taking more losses.

Then I moved to a set of human bandits, and did the same. But this time, in the process of pushing one archer to death, one of the more injured crossbowmen managed to get a single round of lucidity, waking up... Silver bolt to the brain, and I /finally/ died.

The most ironic part? As a Necromancer, I could have raised a huge army from the corpses all around. Even the ancient skeletons from before. But I don't know how to reanimate, so I had no choice but to 'sponge' enemies to death pathetically.

Shortly after my death, the archer I was sponging to death suffocated. I guess he choked on his victory.

Time for a new game, and to try to live up and beyond this adventurer's journey.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2012, 12:59:19 pm »

That's pretty impressive given that 90% or so of all adventurers that take damage immediately pass out or otherwise get clobbered to death in a less than a second real-time. That's how my adventurers end. "What? I was just fine! How the hell am I dead?" *reads 20-page combat log that occurred before my turn came up again*

The secret is willpower. Impossibly high willpower, such that you can't actually HAVE willpower high enough to man-out a broken toe.

Anyway, to raise corpses or otherwise use interactions you've gained, press 'x' and navigate to "learned" or "acquired" talents or whatever. In there is a list of all the interaction effects you weren't born with. Just press enter, then select your targets, which I believe uses the letter keys while hovering the cursor over the tiles potential zombie candidates are lying on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59