Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ooh, tame cave spiders!  (Read 2950 times)

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ooh, tame cave spiders!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »

Ah, if it's some non-vermin modded creature, then you can let them out to wander around.  I have no idea what the creature in question will do other than that, I'm not familiar with that mod.
Cave spider is not a vermin.

I used my GCS(caught in my cage trap, tamed{changed every instance of [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] in the raws}) and Cave Crocodile to get rid of anything that got caught in the cage traps that I didn't want(I have them in a pit, I dropped the poor caged guys on them, if those poor guys survive, the two pets munch them dead.).

Note the "used". I decided to destroy the fortress(attacked a dwarven caravan, my dorfs started fighting each other. in the meantime, I destroyed some cotton candy, but no clowns came). Fun stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »

Cave spider is not a vermin.
Cave spider is a vermin.  Giant Cave Spider is not a vermin.  I don't know what kind of creature UristMcDwarf has, only that it's something not from an unmodded game.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »

This seeems similar to the Large Cave Spiders of 40d's Dark Dwarves mod.

They were silk-producing cats with many limbs.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 04:51:29 pm »

When you buy a creature from a caravan, it will come in a cage, be it vermin or not. But if you try to transfer a vermin, even tamed, you need unused animal traps to do so.

Now I may be wrong, but I seem to remember not being able to assign vermins to cages, only terrariums or animal traps.

Also, when trying to transfer goblin thieves from cage to cage (despite the risk of escaping), there were times when the dwarf dragged the goblin like any other animal, and other times when he just dumped it in a non-built cage, thus not completing the transfer. Wouldn't it be nice that dwarves skilled enough in animal care recognized goblins as dangerous and transfered them using an intermediate cage?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »

You can dump vermin out of their non-constructed animal traps using the z-stocks menu. I did that once, and had a {tame bat} fly around my garbage dump.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 03:32:41 am »

For vermin, you can also construct a cage, then assign vermin to it. Helps with setting up zoo's, with the non nasty vermin, birds, fluffy wamblers, nastyier vermin in cages in rooms of dwarfs, that like like, a certain type of vermin, and keeps trappers busy. Possibly animal dissectors too.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 [2]