Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569863 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3495 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:40 am »

Multiple legs is always a decent choice for a bit of utility and move speed.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: September 03, 2016, 07:03:22 am »

Added the mutation selection screen to the new UI. Since it's such an important and complicated menu, we expect to iterate on it a bunch.
Added some new encounters to the flower fields. Yonderbrush, forest fires, and bears, oh my!
Molten wax can now catalyze soup sludges.
Added waxen pseudopods.
Fixed soup sludges inheriting from the wrong sludge supertype.
Renamed security turret to the more appropriate "musket turret".
Changed musket turret's tile to a proper turret tile.
Added a new book tile.
Added new tiles for scrolls, some furled and some unfurled.
Gave each handwritten book a proper book or scroll tile.
Gave procedurally-generated books a random book or scroll tile and a random detail color.
Updated the descriptions for yuckwheat and yuckwheat stem.
Updated the description and eat message for canned mystery meat.
You can no longer chat with creatures across dimensions.
Braces ({}), which are used to mark metadata, no longer appear in help topics.
Made a small update to the game credits.
[modding] Added a new part, RandomDetailColor, that assigns a random detail color to an object's tile.
[debug] Added some wish tools for debugging quests and conversations.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: September 03, 2016, 12:52:36 pm »

Sounds fun, I might be playing soon.

Goatmaan

Edited for brainfart!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:15:34 pm by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: September 09, 2016, 01:40:03 am »

How viable would a true kin rifle or pistol tinker be? I'm thinking all those extra skill points could buy some extra tinkering stuff and utility early.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 09, 2016, 01:57:23 am »

The rifle skill tree is very strong, and if you find some wandering dromads an early grit-gate recoiler means pretty much infinite ammo.
My experience with tinkers is pretty limited though.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: September 09, 2016, 02:10:40 am »

Is there a way to deal with exhaustion, either reduce its duration or be immune to it one way or an other? I was always wondering why placing a turret caused enemies to wail on me for multiple turns when the placement only takes one turn, seems to be because your character gets exhausted after.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: September 09, 2016, 02:45:08 am »

Pistols is also a good build, what with the dual firing ability. A pair of chain pistols and dual fire puts out a serious wall of lead.

The mechanic you are thinking of is Energy, and AFAIK, there are almost no ways to mitigate it. Two heads mitigates mental action energy costs, and there are a few skills in the pistol tree that drops the cost of shooting pistols. If it really costs that much energy to deploy a turret, I'm not sure how useful a skill that is. Note that, in general, a far better escape mechanism are grenades. Specifically, Stasis, Freezing, and Stun/Sleep, in order of usefulness. Though, a Freezing III grenade will stop all combat for a very long time, in a VERY wide area. Stasis is more controlled, and also acts as an impromptu force wall effect. Stun and sleep are gas grenades, and so of iffy reliability.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: September 09, 2016, 06:57:50 am »

How viable would a true kin rifle or pistol tinker be? I'm thinking all those extra skill points could buy some extra tinkering stuff and utility early.

I love the concept of a trueman Artifex.  They are the BEST early, as you can disassemble all the junk you find.  Depending on your starting blueprints and the luck of what you find, they can be quite powerful. 

But every time I start a game as one, I don't get far before I start wishing I had Psychometry. 

All those objects lost to unsuccessful disassembly.  All that money spent on blueprints.  Sure, the Artifex has better stats and skills, but the opportunity cost is pretty high.  Mostly a question of play style, though.  You might not feel the same frustrations.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: September 10, 2016, 07:02:55 am »

Added a new chromeling to Grit Gate, Shem -1.
We made a few changes to the mainline quest, A Call to Arms.
Removed the optional step for keeping Otho alive.
Added an optional step for keeping Sparafucile alive.
Added an optional step for keeping Shem -1 alive.
Mafeo is no longer replaced by an urshiib merchant if he dies.
Added new art for the inhabitants of Kyakukya.
New tile for Mayor Nuntu. *tips hat*
New tile for Svenlainard.
New tile and color scheme for Yurl.
New tile and color scheme for Kyakukya hunter.
New tile and color scheme for mushroom gatherer.
New tile and color scheme for worshipper of Oboroqoru.
New tile for statue of Oboroqoru.
New tile for Oboroqoru, Ape God.
Changed human child's tile and color scheme.
Changed scrap-clad hermit's tile.
Added a scroll bound by kelp to the human remains in the fungal jungle.
Added new sounds for the following actions.
seed-spitting vine ranged attack
slugsnout and two-headed slugsnout ranged attack
bows & dart guns firing
sparking baetyls sparking
Expanded the quest framework to support a new type of quest, coming soon.
Scouts report that Pax Klanq is genetically engineering a fungal infection to spread himself around Qud. It's resistant to the normal methods of treatment.
[modding]Added a new sound tag, MissileWeaponFire.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: September 15, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »

Anybody got a code for a good starter character for noobs?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: September 15, 2016, 05:54:27 pm »

Follow the quote links to their original posts, I have cut them down a bit. 

Someone else can probably do a little better, but take a look at character build code AGSMOKOG

it is a basic strength focused praetorian, you can start putting skill points into Long Blades

I usually don't play with this kind of build, but I do think it is the easiest and simplest.  A build like this once took me to Golgotha, without too much trouble.  Can't remember, maybe as far as BS?  It was in the long-ago.

You can mostly just bump into things and kill them, though it is still a hard and capricious game so you need to run from stronger stuff and cant just stand there and get shot by ranged foes.  The build comes with rifle/bow skill, so don't forget to use it and any related special abilities.  sometimes you need to engage at range, even though you are strong and have a big sword.

This was my last successful build, which got me to the end of the game's main story content for the first time. :D
AHKUMMKK
It doesn't have any dump stats either, so it's pretty manageable early game before you get to the levels that give +1 to all your stats.
Your pistol is your main penetration weapon at the start of the game, but pistols are a weak weapon type, so don't sink more skill points into it unless you love the gunslinger aesthetic (I always sink my points  :-\ )
Daggers and knives quickly out perform it in damage output. You'll want to switch to a carbine or rifle of some kind if you can eventually.

This is a lot closer to the kind of builds I prefer playing with.  It is a little trickier, but also probably more successful once you get the nuances of it.  run away more, use range against big things more, rely on maneuvers and specials in combat.  Manage the cooldown timers.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:31 am »

Great, thank you very much!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:31 am »

The update is early (and small) this week because we're attending the Roguelike Celebration in San Francisco! Talks from the event should be streamed. Check out https://roguelike.club for info.
Added procedural books to the inventories of some NPCs.
Added firing sounds for musket, borderlands revolver, semi-automatic pistol, and chaingun.
Added combat sounds for missing in melee and blocking with as shield.
Added reload sounds for pump and combat shotguns.
Changed some of Otho's dialog before he offers you the Earl of Omonporch quest.
Fix a few instances of dialog running over its bounding box.
Added a separator to the look, target, and fire selector menus to make the options easier to distinguish.
Snapjaws in Red Rock no longer spawn with high-powered grenades.
Fixed a rare exception when building slime biomes.
(modding) Added a new part, StandaloneMarkovBook, that can be added to a procedurally-generated book object to generate its contents based on a previously generated Markov chain. For example, <part Name="StandaloneMarkovBook" Corpus="LibraryChain.json"></part>

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: September 24, 2016, 07:02:13 am »

We tweaked some of the parameters around fungal infections.

Have you contracted glowcrust? Are you wondering why you grow a fungal outcrop body part that's always unequipped? It's supposed to periodically grow luminous hoarshrooms that you can eat. Today, we fixed this unfortunate bug. Glowcrust apologizes for appearing like a parasite when it's clearly a symbiote.
    Reduced the frequency of brooding azurepuffs and brooding goldpuffs in high-tier fungal biomes.
    Ichor merchants now always sell desalination pellets.
    Lowered the cost of desalination pellets.
    We added a guaranteed apothecary and ichor merchant to the SE corner of the Stiltgrounds.
    Slightly lowered the cost of Corpus Choliys.

When someone in a party kills a monster, they now gain XP based on their level, not the level of the creature that struck the killing blow. This change means that your lower-leveled followers, like beguiled creatures, gain XP at the correct rate.
Dominated creatures now gain XP.
The unstable genome mutation picker is now scrollable and displays details for each mutation option.
We split the option to allow mouse input into two options: 'Allow mouse input' and 'Allow mouse movement'. This change lets you enable mouse input without worrying about accidentally click-moving.
Gave Phinae Hoshaiah some basic dialog.
Fixed a bug that caused procedurally generated books to be worth nothing.
Fixed an issue causing ruin-based maps to fail to build past level 29 in the underground.
Added a chronology event for cloning yourself.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 02, 2016, 07:26:07 am »

If you return to the surface from world map, without moving on the world map, you will return to the same location on the surface.
Added an overlay UI for the character confirmation and name screens during character creation.
Added an overlay UI inputting text.
Added an overlay UI for single-button popups.
Added an extra digit of precision to the dram display on the trading screen.
Fixed an issue with unstable genome incorrectly removing mutation points
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 250