Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 569981 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3435 on: July 18, 2016, 09:57:12 am »

I always thought they were weaker on purpose, as a sort of challenge like the housecat race in crawl which is literally just a cat

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: July 18, 2016, 10:34:06 am »

I haven't played in some time, has anything changed to make true kins more appealing or on par with mutants? If I'm not mistaken all they had last time I played was some bonus starting stats and access to 4 cybernetics of dubious value compared to mutations.
True Men seemed to always be on par with Mutants to me, just because of the large increase in stats. You trade the ability to have a number of powerful gimmicks for greater strength and survivability overall.

It's especially noticeable early-game, where a True Man can squash most enemies without suffering too much while a Mutant will have to rely on their abilities and scurry away if they take too much damage (unless you're playing a tanky kind of mutant).

Haven't gotten a True Man to late game myself, mainly because I have more fun with Mutants, to be honest, but they seem perfectly viable as is.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:49 am »

Without cheating, I my furthest game was with a True Man Praetorian.  The ability to take blows and penetrate armor was hugely valuable into the mid game.

For game-time spent, True Men tend to start stronger and level up faster due to their increased power.

If you have more patience to grind stats and level up, I think those advantages would evaporate.  True Men don't have higher stat caps, just higher starting stats.  Mutants can have everything True Men can, plus they can have mutations.  Long term, it is a Mutant's game.

The "rebuke robots" thing is pretty neat when it works, though I was never able to make extensive use of it.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: July 18, 2016, 02:02:12 pm »

Does CoQ have a win condition yet?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: July 18, 2016, 04:48:58 pm »

I think the main quest is has gotten longer (I have not been to the end of it since pre-steam) and there are lots of additional areas now, some of which have side quests.  Patch notes have more details, I think.

No actual "win" condition, and so far as I know the main quest is still not complete even though it is longer.  It may never be?  Might just be one of those things that grows as long as development continues.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:09 pm »

I think the main quest is has gotten longer (I have not been to the end of it since pre-steam) and there are lots of additional areas now, some of which have side quests.  Patch notes have more details, I think.

No actual "win" condition, and so far as I know the main quest is still not complete even though it is longer.  It may never be?  Might just be one of those things that grows as long as development continues.

There's an obvious spot where we say "you got to the end of the main quest as it currently is"; the actual storytelling of the storyline itself doesn't resolve at the end of it yet, but it's not ambiguous when you "win" the current main plot.

There are something less than 10 "wins" per 15,000+ plays; so really even when we finally build out the back end of the plot, no-one's ever going to see it. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:01:48 pm by unormal »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3441 on: July 18, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »

There are something less than 10 "wins" per 15,000+ plays; so really even when we finally build out the back end of the plot, no-one's ever going to see it. :)
Is this reporting statistics back to a server somewhere?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: July 18, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »

Yeah, I collect anonymous aggregated gameplay data to gameanalytics.com in the Steam version. There's an option to turn it off if that creeps you out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3443 on: July 18, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »

Yeah, I collect anonymous aggregated gameplay data to gameanalytics.com in the Steam version. There's an option to turn it off if that creeps you out.
Nah I was just curious, didn't know about it.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: July 18, 2016, 05:21:30 pm »

The dev is watching you fail @_@

Gotta step it up and improve those stats!

Edit: Out of curiosity though, is that 10 wins and 15k losses or 15k unfinished games. Giving up on a character or getting sucked into another build idea probably happens a lot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:23:15 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: July 18, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »

Gotta step it up and improve those stats!

Edit: Out of curiosity though, is that 10 wins and 15k losses or 15k unfinished games. Giving up on a character or getting sucked into another build idea probably happens a lot.

Puling stats for this year: http://i.imgur.com/rXYKHVW.png

The top is characters completing the first quest you get, the last is characters completing the last mainline quest.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: July 18, 2016, 06:23:33 pm »

The dev is watching me cheat :B

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:57 am »

Oh, shit. Does this mean you can tell when I savescum?  :'(
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: July 24, 2016, 07:10:59 am »

Made the zone builder more robust. You can now break out of infinite zone build loops as well as report the error to us.
Added some new descriptions to the world map.
The water tiles have been replaced with tiles and descriptions for the River Svy, the River Opal, Opal's duskwaters, the River Yonth, and a mountain stream.
Added a description to salt dunes.
Added a description to the fungal jungle.
Replaced some extraneous graphics quality options in the launcher with two simple options: Standard and No Vsync.
[modding] Mutations.xml now supports a Type paramater on mutations that overrides the default mutation types (physical or mental).
Fixed: Getting dragged through a sticky substance no longer consumes the creature's energy.
Fixed: Baetyls no longer try (and sometimes succeed in trying) to move around.
Fixed: Some faction-to-faction relationship changes weren't persisting into loaded games.
Fixed several items that use multiple slots not properly requiring them.
Fixed: The option picker dialog no longer hides the selection caret. It also scrolls properly now.
Fixed: During character creation, mutation selections no longer stick around around when you back up to the genotype selection screen.
Fixed: Your character's tile graphic no longer lags behind when you move while zoomed.
Fixed a typo in quadruped and fish bodies.
Fixed a typo in the description of Greybeard.
Fixed some issues with the map editor.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: July 30, 2016, 07:05:16 am »

We did a lot of backend work to add a framework for graphical effects.
Torchposts and braziers now produce smoke and flame particles.
Six Day Stilt cathedral braziers now burn an appropriately cyan light.
Expect more particle effects in future patches.
Added signs outside the hookah tents in the Stiltgrounds.
[modding] Yau can add a new tag, NoDataDisk, to objects with the TinkerItem part. This tag prevents data disks with that item's blueprint from spawning.
Updated descriptions for the following items.
basic toolkit
pickaxe
hoversled
Added a tile for fused security door.
Changed the background color on security door tiles to make them more readable.
Slog of the Cloaca's corpse is no longer included as a component for fungal infection cures.
Optimized the memory usage of ASCII graphical effects.
Mechanimst scholar monks continue their tireless efforts to construct a library at the Six Day Stilt. Some of the recent texts they've unearthed include:
Instructions for the Rarest of Circumstances
Skin; Accounts Vary Accordingly
Mustachioed Man Wears a Costume, Vol. VII
One sage has even gone so far as to claim that the number of texts in Qud may approach infinity...
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 250