Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570065 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3345 on: January 14, 2016, 12:32:41 am »

Hmm, useful, but I can see how it'd be a tough choice on what to use it on. Depends on the build, but I'd probably duplicate a really good pistol or one-handed weapon so I could duel wield better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 14, 2016, 12:52:01 am »

It replicates whatever item its used on, but only works once.

use it to replicate another metamorphic polygel, duh
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 14, 2016, 02:39:35 am »

>Reading this thread as if it was brand new. Really interested to see people's opinions.
>2010.

Oh.
It's brand new with every patch ;3
Which means it's upgrading everytime, with new content or adjusted and modified content :)

It's been months for me, and I'll be trying to get back into this nice game. Forgot how to submit bugs though, as I've still to re-open the game after all the dust it gathered. >.<

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 14, 2016, 09:46:40 am »

It replicates whatever item its used on, but only works once.
use it to replicate another metamorphic polygel, duh
If I did that, it would just be used up. Gain one, lose one.

Hmm, useful, but I can see how it'd be a tough choice on what to use it on. Depends on the build, but I'd probably duplicate a really good pistol or one-handed weapon so I could duel wield better.
My character is currently using a carbine for his ranged weapon, and a folded carbide long sword plus carbide long sword for his melee weapons. Floating glow sphere for the win.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:11 am »

dual long sword is a pretty great way to go.  It's usually either that or short blades for me, since they have such great skill trees.  I like the stat specialization possible with short blades.

If you're specializing in long blades though, its hard to do better than the unique named weapons that guy in the mushroom village has.  I'm not sure if you can get them from him peacefully -- I think he used to be willing to trade one of them many versions back, but he probably won't any longer.

Cloning one of those would be worthwhile.

Or if you find an anit-mater cell and wish you had two.  Or, if you tinker, and something is made with a really rare high-end bit...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: January 14, 2016, 10:53:07 am »

Warden Indrix? Yeah, I'm not killing him anytime soon. And domination isn't an option as I'm playing with a True Kin.

In my previous game, I used the short blade skill tree and got Rejoinder for the first time.
THEY SHALL DIE BEFORE ME IN MELEE!

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 14, 2016, 11:36:34 am »

I couldn't remember if it was the warden or the hunter that had them.  He'll aggro you without provoking the rest of the villiage (at least he used to) if you do his quest wrong.  Or if you bring his brother back with you instead of killing him.  But without Dominate, that might be hard.

How about Beguile?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 14, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »

And [mutations] aren't an option as I'm playing with a True Kin.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:32 am »

Oops, I meant "Proselytize", not "Beguile".

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »

My favorite build right now is a roleplay heavy set of mutations and skills: I take the beak deformity, and with wings and heightened speed and nightvision. I play this "bird person" as an arconaut, and getting started can be surprisingly difficult! I mean flying is strong, but no face or back slots plus very little health requires some strategy for those early levels. Once you get enough arrows or a rifle, you can take most anything on the ground as long as it can't shoot you and you avoid pissing off the giant mosquito swarms. Falling down is still a death sentence, though, and your wings are useless underground. However, If you're smart about it the flying bonus to wayfinding lets you rush up to the stiltgrounds and pilfer / purchase lots of goodies.

I'm still pretty new to the game, but the unique setting is probably the biggest selling point for this game. Roleplaying is a much smoother experience due to the item design that encourages both flavor AND utility, while letting minmaxers do their thing if they so desire. I have fun visualizing this bird person flapping about, a rifle strapped to his back, two daggers and countless grenades strapped to his belt. It's pretty good when he talks to this one character who I've forgotten the name of, and she blames "the birds" for some massive catastrophe or something. *flaps angrily out the hut*

Other builds include a farmer cursed to mutate uncontrollably, a precog scholar who can experiment his way through the unknowns of Qud, and a dual-weild Syzyrgior (?) who acts insufferable around lowborns.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:20:30 pm by Salmeuk »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 17, 2016, 08:18:00 am »

*We've introduced world seeds and added some features around them. World seeds are codes that fix the output of (almost) all the random elements of the game.
-After you create your character, you can choose to enter a world seed.
-From the New Game menu, you can enter a specific world seed and play a fixed character associated with that seed.
-We've added a weekly challenge with a specific world seed and fixed character. New challenges start every Monday. Choose the challenge option from the New Game menu.
*Added an option to roll a random character.
*New book: Aphorisms about Birds.
*Added more reasons for a faction to admire, dislike, or hate someone.
*Baetyls now demand fewer invalid objects.
*Fixed a hang when pasting a character code.
*Work on changing the quest 'Ripe for the Conflagrating' has begun. Stay tuned.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: January 17, 2016, 05:53:46 pm »

So I'm at the bears place with my character.

Merchant: selling a chain pistol, twin to the one I already have. Cost: 400 drams.

"Well, I could sell my nuggets... perhaps throw in the polygel... oh wait."

I promptly duplicate my chain pistol and save myself 200 drams.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 17, 2016, 10:59:17 pm »

The whole "Aphorisms about Birds" book was added just to troll me, I swear. . .

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 20, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »

In other news, I accidentally raided Golgatha and completed the "More Than a Willing Spirit" quest.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 24, 2016, 08:19:33 am »

*We've replaced the quest, Ripe for the Conflagrating, with a new (and much more interesting) quest, The Earl of Omonporch. Some chaotic stuff is possible in the course of this quest, so stay tuned for tweaks.
*Added Asphodel, the Earl of Omonporch, and the asphodelytes.
*Added a new music track to the overworld regions.
*The overlay message log can now be resized by dragging.
*Fixed an exception during Grit Gate scripted events.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 250