Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570149 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3270 on: October 02, 2015, 03:05:18 pm »

Not EVERY build can be fun in a game where you have freedom of choice. If I made a character with harvestry and butchery as their only skills that wouldn't be a very fun experience as I'd probably die straight away.

Similarly, not everyone thinks the same things are fun. I might pick guns over "light control" in your scenario because I don't want to throw lasers around, simply because of the theme of my character, or because I don't want to be a weird mutant thing

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: October 02, 2015, 05:00:24 pm »

Feature Friday!

*Pistol skill refresh
 -Menacing Stare was moved to the Persuasion tree
 -Updated power: Empty the Clips (300 sp, 27 Agi). Cooldown 200. For 20 rounds, the energy cost of firing pistols is reduced from 1000 to 500.
*New item: mercurial cloak
*New creature: mercurial
*New book: a parable about covetousness
*3 new master butchery targets
*Whack and trip now have more descriptive descriptions
*Made some significant fixes to the object graph which improves complex game sizes by 50% or more, as well as fixes some very long-standing memory leaks with abilities like fugue and beguiling
*Fixed an issue with buying a new random mutation, and with unstable genome, that would ocassionally cause them to function improperly or not at all

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3272 on: October 02, 2015, 07:50:20 pm »

Feature Friday!

*Pistol skill refresh
 -Updated power: Empty the Clips (300 sp, 27 Agi). Cooldown 200. For 20 rounds, the energy cost of firing pistols is reduced from 1000 to 500.
*Made some significant fixes to the object graph which improves complex game sizes by 50% or more, as well as fixes some very long-standing memory leaks with abilities like fugue and beguiling
*Fixed an issue with buying a new random mutation, and with unstable genome, that would ocassionally cause them to function improperly or not at all

Awesome, but it doesn't fix the bethesda susa memory leaks. Should I start a new game? Will that do it, do you think?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: October 02, 2015, 08:15:50 pm »

Feature Friday!

*Pistol skill refresh

Awesome, but it doesn't fix the bethesda susa memory leaks. Should I start a new game? Will that do it, do you think?

It might, but Bethesda has a few unique problems that are just due to it's implementation, and won't be fixed by these general fixes.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3274 on: October 03, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »

Arg. Now I got through to the cryo chambers and it's crashing without even giving em the warning first.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 03, 2015, 01:57:02 pm »

Arg. Now I got through to the cryo chambers and it's crashing without even giving em the warning first.

I'd take a zip-up of that save if you don't mind, to support@freeholdgames.com

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3276 on: October 03, 2015, 04:46:17 pm »

Sure. Do you know where I'd find the save folder on a linux steam install? I found the CoQ_Data folder, but it didn't have any saves inside it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:52:43 pm by Angle »

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: October 03, 2015, 05:09:44 pm »

Sure. Do you know where I'd find the save folder on a linux steam install? I found the CoQ_Data folder, but it didn't have any saves inside it.

If you check in the log there, the top line should tell you the save path; look for "save path" in the log

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3278 on: October 03, 2015, 05:29:25 pm »

If you check in the log there, the top line should tell you the save path; look for "save path" in the log

I can't find that, either. The CoQ_Data folder has Managed, Mono, Plugin, Resources, StreamingAssets, Maindata, PlayerConnectionConfigFile (Which I already checked, it has no useful information), Resource.assets, ScreeSelector.png, and sharedassets0.assets. None of the folder have anything about logs. I checked and found a logs folder in steam, but nothing in there relates to Caves of Qud.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: October 03, 2015, 05:38:47 pm »

I can't find that, either. The CoQ_Data folder has Managed, Mono, Plugin, Resources, StreamingAssets, Maindata, PlayerConnectionConfigFile (Which I already checked, it has no useful information), Resource.assets, ScreeSelector.png, and sharedassets0.assets. None of the folder have anything about logs. I checked and found a logs folder in steam, but nothing in there relates to Caves of Qud.

should be /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/[companyname]/[productname]

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3280 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:44 pm »

should be /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/[companyname]/[productname]

Aha! I was looking in the steamapps folder. Alright, found the save, send it to you.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: October 04, 2015, 05:14:41 am »

Multiple ways of doing things are great, but one shouldn't always be clearly better than another.  For example, I never play a true-man tinker because the psychometry power is so OP it is crazy to play without it.
Honestly, Psychometry isn't really the problem here.  I've tried playing Psychometry-based tinkers, and the problem is that of course I want to raise Ego in order to get the most out of Psychometry, and if I'm doing that I might as well buy a bunch of other mental mutations and take Esper, and honestly is it really worth putting 24 points in intelligence to get Tinkering III and Expert Disassemble, and all of a sudden I'm a psychic who dabbles in tinkering rather than a tinker.

And I usually end up not buying Psychometry, even as a psychic tinkerer.  Psychometry itself is, honestly, a really weak mutation compared to other options.  Maybe it looks tempting to a tinker, but at the end of the day all it does is let you get consumable recipes faster -- which are the cheapest ones to buy disks for -- and get the recipes for stuff you already own, which is virtually worthless for non-consumables because you rarely need huge numbers of copies of stuff.  It's a mutation that becomes worse and worse the further you go into the game, since eventually you reach the point where you would have gotten all the recipes you wanted elsewhere.  I'd go so far as to call it one of the worst mental mutations.  The problem is that tinkering is so terrible that even one of the worst mental mutations in the game looks tempting to someone using it.

Right now, tinkering is just weak across the board.  There's no particular long-term value to being able to create stuff, because you can eventually find or buy everything you need anyway, at which point all your investment in tinkering is utterly wasted.  Grenades, turrets, and recharges are the only things tinkering really offers, but those are also the easiest things to get, and not that great compared to most other options (especially considering the investment involved -- intelligence is not actually a great stat at high levels, since extra stat points has diminishing returns, especially if you lack the stats for other powerful skill trees on account of raising intelligence.)  Data disks are horribly expensive (and often, for anything but consumables, you might as well just buy the finished product.)

The whole way tinkering works needs some fundamental rethinking from the ground up -- tinkers need some ability to improve on their existing equipment, say (or cybernetics, for True Kin.)  They need ways to access or develop recipes for things they don't already have beyond paying nearly as much as you would for the finished product or relying on the scant three random things you get from the Tinker skills.  I still think recipes for robots (maybe with a skill that gives you a chance of having a defeated robot drop its data disk) would be a good idea, too, since companions are something you actually benefit from being able to create repeatedly on the fly.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 04, 2015, 05:32:29 pm »

I love Psychometry, not least because it lets you open doors without key cards. That alone is pretty powerful, and goes well with Tinkering since it lets you get a lot more scrap as well as some potentially very powerful loot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3283 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:01 am »

Yeah, I love to play esper tinkers. Though I never start with psychometry, I try to pick it up later.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: October 09, 2015, 07:09:10 pm »

Feature Friday!

*'Neath the lee of a desert dune, a robot augur has a vision of a Six Day Stilt bustling with merchants and pilgrims. Soon... soon...
*The Baccata Yewtarch's genius is truly unbound. This week, he graces us with his new volume, "Across Moghra'yi, Vol. Ia: Athenreach"
*New rare helmet mod: terrifying visage
*New rare axe and long blades mod: serrated
*Fixed some typos
*Fixed a few issues causing zone building failures
*Fixed an issue with improper wall and water tiling along edges
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 250