Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570162 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3255 on: September 25, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »

Feature Friday!

*New item: geomagnetic disc
*Qud's foremost historian, the Baccata Yewtarch, graces us with the first volume in his most recently published series, a survey of the strange civilizations across Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert
 -Vol I: The Sunderlies
*More creatures now carry books (hurray, literacy!)
*Mechanical wings now increase your reputation with birds and winged mammals
*Bludgeon, Clobber, and Barrage now have more descriptive descriptions
*Rejoinder will now only counter-attack misses by your current target
*Added an automatic save game backup & attempt-restore-on-save-exception mechanism
*Mafeo now stocks a lot of basic ammo
*Tinkering lead slugs now creates 50 instead of 5
*19 new tiles
*Fixed torches not stacking properly
*Fixed some typos
*Fixed some book and story formatting issues
*Fixed the asphalt mine stairs again
*Fixed an issue that would sometimes prevent canyon zones from generating
*Fixed Yuckwheat Stem's tile
*Fixed Crysteel Hammer improperly being two-handed
*Fixed Rhinox-Skull Maul improperly being one-handed
*Fixed a few unfinished items that were showing up as data disks

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:17 pm »

Aww!  OP quad-armed short blade nerf!  Probably had it coming.

I was sacrificing AC to pile on dodge bonuses, and just wading through small crowds.

What defines a current target?  Last thing you attacked?  If an enemy initiates combat, do you not get to rejoinder them until you have swung?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 25, 2015, 07:44:49 pm »

Aww!  OP quad-armed short blade nerf!  Probably had it coming.

I was sacrificing AC to pile on dodge bonuses, and just wading through small crowds.

What defines a current target?  Last thing you attacked?  If an enemy initiates combat, do you not get to rejoinder them until you have swung?

It's the target you see in the sidebar (you see it's HP there.) You can set it with ctrl+t or it's set automatically when you attack something. Rejoinder will set it automatically if something misses you while you have no current target, which means you can actually still slay a bunch of trash mobs with this implementation in a single turn if you one shot each of them (since killing your target clears your target, then the next creature misses you triggering rejoinder, etc)

It does mean you can't just melee a single tough guy down and rejoinder spam everyone else that approaches; if you get surrounded by tough guys you can't one-shot, rejoinder isn't going to help.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28:42 pm »

Wow, that sounds really well balanced. 

Id see how it feels in play, but it wouldn't be a fair evaluation since I totally cheat.

I mean, ill still see how it feels, but my case isn't worthwhile feedback for you (:

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 25, 2015, 11:47:11 pm »

possible bug but, since it happened on a save betweeen upgrades, it probably isnt worth counting.

Save was just before Mamnn, on the same map where I would have met him.  Friday upgrade occurs.  Load game, and I meet three of him.  No idea how many there would have been before the upgrade.

Kill all three.  the first one I kill drops his unique items, the last one i kill ends the quest.

I would have expected that two were time shifts or something, but the fact that the first one dropped his stuff while the thrid ended the quest, suggests bug.

Of course, upgraded save,  so maybe all bets are off.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: September 26, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »

Bug report: New game and I find two Border revolvers, which is great. Unfortunately, hitting 'r' to reload only loads the first one. I have to manually go in and reload the second one, which is a pain.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »

another bug report, since this seems to be one of the more active places for the game (second to twitter) and tweeting them just feels inappropriate:

Portable beehives generate water, not honey.  Which is nice and all, but I already have a stillsuit or whatever its called.

Also, the stillsuit seems to generate water even when not worn.  The "work when not worn" is probably fine for the hive, but maybe inappropriate for the stillsuit.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3262 on: October 01, 2015, 01:58:51 pm »

I'm having a lot of trouble with the game using loads of memory. Like, I load it and it gives me the "you're using too much memory" warning within a minute or two. I'm in bethesda susa. I could post my save, if you like.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »

I had similar issues there, I could clear one or two levels before running low.

I think when I played the free version, the only time I made it there I just took the elevator and did not stay long enougg to run into issues, but I also think the new unity version is leakier.

I'm currently in the tomb of eaters and running out of ram about 2-3 times per level with a 750mb save file.

Thinking of just restarting after a few patches.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3264 on: October 01, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »

It's funny, I didn;t have any trouble before bethesda susa. I think one of the enemies has memory leaks out the wazoo or something.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 01, 2015, 03:22:58 pm »

Try swapping to the Beta branch, and load the troubled game and then save/quit/restart. I've made a big change to the save/memory management in the latest Beta build for Friday.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3266 on: October 01, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

Try swapping to the Beta branch, and load the troubled game and then save/quit/restart. I've made a big change to the save/memory management in the latest Beta build for Friday.

Done, waiting on update. Also - heres an idea for a cool mutation - Teleport Object. Teleports an object of your choice from your inventory into an opponents inventory - or into their body, if you get lucky. Use this to administer tonics at range, or to drop grenades on your enemies with precision. Or just weigh your opponents down with heavy objects. Alternatively, you could have it allow you to pick things up at range. Snatch that nice artifact out of the acid from across the map, or take away your enemies Fullerite Plate mail so you can actually damage them!

Edit: Nope, that didn;t do it. It might be the room - I have burgeoned plants sitting in convalescence. Could that be par of the problem?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:53:25 pm by Angle »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: October 01, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »

While cool, that cheapens the tinker ability to lay mines.  Tinkers already have it rough finding a niche

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3268 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

While cool, that cheapens the tinker ability to lay mines.  Tinkers already have it rough finding a niche
Laying mines is hardly a signature ability. Hell I've never really found it useful. Anyway this isn't a competative game, giving one class something fun doesn't cheapen another. Its all about you enjoying the game.

There aren't really classes anyway, in that way, so a 'tinker' is just someone who happens to have a few skills. Nothing stops a tinker from being able to teleport his homemade grenades into people's mouths.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 02, 2015, 02:44:39 pm »

hmm.  one view of game design, is that each general build should be fun to play on its own.  part of that is asking the question "are there enough reasons to play this build over another?  and will it be roughly as enjoyable?"

giving all of the benefits to the mental mutants reduces the value of investing in those other skill trees.  which in turn makes true men and tinkers (artifexes especially) less enjoyable, because you know you could easily get better results doing it a different way.  And as the optimal path leads you down a specific road, the game becomes less varied.

Its like if you gave "light control' 10x the damage on its laser strikes.  cool for that mutant, but why would anyone ever take the guns skill? 

Or extend the range of the remote viewing power such that it can get you un-lost in the wilderness.  Why would anyone take pathfinder?

Multiple ways of doing things are great, but one shouldn't always be clearly better than another.  For example, I never play a true-man tinker because the psychometry power is so OP it is crazy to play without it.

Even in a single player game, the different play styles should be valuable and fun.  Qud is not really balanced, and I dont think it should be.  But one may wish to ensure that different builds are all generally fun on their own.

Cant speak for unormal though, I'm sure if he likes your suggestion he'll put it in.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 250