Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570228 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3165 on: August 06, 2015, 11:44:20 am »

How do you guys deal with large groups of baddies? Specifically those large bands of goatfolk. Even at higher levels, the hornblower and shaman are a really nasty combo - and I always end up having to retreat or just abuse the hell out of screen change kiting.
Powerful ranged attacks will do it.  High-level Light Manipulation, Freezing / Burning hands, Sunder Mind, or just a good ranged weapon and high agility to aim it.  Kill them as soon as they appear on the screen (they don't tend to appear bunched up in my experience, so you can take your time and let some of your mutations recover as you come across them -- there will always be a lot in the general area, but you shouldn't have to fight dozens at once or anything.)

Proselytize or Beguiling helps by giving you another source of damage and giving them another target.  In my most recent game, I used Domination to teach a unique snapjaw Freezing Hands and level it up.  That's insanely powerful, although it relies a lot on luck.  You can recruit those flying serpent things instead, I think, to get burning hands on a flying ally for sure...?  I can't recall any enemies with guaranteed Freezing Hands, which I think is superior.

The Warden from the starting village has guaranteed level 10 Freezing Hands. I've turned into him with the shapeshifting mutation once or twice and he kicks ass.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 06, 2015, 05:04:00 pm »

Yeah, grenades (especially the seeds, which you can spam as every sower drops like 5) are very helpful. You do have to be careful while using them though, as if your stats aren't good they can be very inaccurate *especially at close range*. But the ability to deal a ton of AOE damage is worth it as long as you are cautious in using them (eg. don't ever target them close enough to you that they could miss and hurt you).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:40:30 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 06, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »

If you don't have good stats, the safest to use are Freeze and Stasis. Stasis is especially fun, as even if you miss, you make a wall. So if you throw it at a small pass, you can block it off and escape easy.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 06, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »

The Warden from the starting village has guaranteed level 10 Freezing Hands. I've turned into him with the shapeshifting mutation once or twice and he kicks ass.
Oh yeah.  I think he's like level 30 or something, though, so recruiting him with proselytize isn't likely to happen until you're outrageously high level yourself.

(Metamorphosis is unfinished content; I assume the final version won't ignore levels.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 07, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

Now that the code base is stable (knock on wood), we're going to move to a cadence of weekly "feature friday" patches. Intra-week incremental patches will be made to the Beta branch. These patches may not be individually large, and due to the nature of our work we may not always hit our goal, but we're excited to start to bring new content to Qud on a regular basis!

*Default and previousstable branches have been rotated
*Added a new armor mod: recycling. Armors with the recycling mod collect, purify, and store up to 8 drams of the wearer's wastewater.
*Added steel arrows
*Added boomrose arrows. They explode.
*Added UI support for multiple ammo types
*Added a graphical effect for hologram tiles
*Convinced Svenlairnard that he should wield both his legendary swords
*Fixed an exception with the Burgeoning mutation
*Fixed an exception with drawing liquid graphics at the edge of the screen
*Made NPCs equip their miscellaneous equipment a little less predictably
*Improved box of crayons (not all boxes are created equal)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:14:20 pm by unormal »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 07, 2015, 05:37:42 pm »

Aww...
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 07, 2015, 06:23:30 pm »

Aww...

One hand giveth.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 07, 2015, 06:27:24 pm »

*Added boomrose arrows. They explode.
Yeeeesssssssss
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 07, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »

Suggestion:  If the game has multiple arrow-types, it should also have multiple types of bows!  At the very least, a constructable bow using cheap materials would be nice (some sort of scrap compound bow, with a bonus to accuracy or damage or range or some such thing.)

(Part of the reason I want a ranged weapon that can be cheaply made from the most common materials is for Deploy Turret.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:56:35 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »

I've been getting this bug where whenever I start to starve, my hunger level loops all the way around and I become bloated. This has happened consistently with my last few characters. I got up to level twenty without ever picking up or eating food. I still drank water automatically that I carried around, but I have a feeling that I didn't need to drink that either.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:58 pm »

I've been getting this bug where whenever I start to starve, my hunger level loops all the way around and I become bloated. This has happened consistently with my last few characters. I got up to level twenty without ever picking up or eating food. I still drank water automatically that I carried around, but I have a feeling that I didn't need to drink that either.

Whoops. That's debug code I left in. I'll post a fix on tomorrows Beta branch release. :o

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 09, 2015, 11:52:46 am »

Super happy that content patches are coming!

I'd really love the tinkering aspect to be extended - especially being able to improve base items a bit.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:35 pm »

Another new game. Another warden immediately killing the Girshling quest leader. Although, he IS hated for killing one of Joppa's leaders.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 250