Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570330 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3105 on: July 30, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »

Chests in Joppa - These are just time consuming to go through. They're lootable with no consequences, and they're a 'must do' but having to do it every time you start a character is tedious. I'd suggest either removing them and just giving the character some random stuff, or just putting them all in one room for quick looting. Really, this is my biggest gripe.

To add my 2 cents do this, I'd like to see a system where maybe the people of Joppa actually lock their homes. Or at least react if you barge in uninvited. Like Retro said, it's kinda odd in its current state. You could also tie in the reputation system - so if you become really revered in Joppa, maybe you could loot the town consequence free.
It'd be really welcome if there were some more living places throughout the world of Qud besides Joppa. But since there aren't many, I think it's absolutely unnecessary. In addition, Caves of Qud doesn't seem to be a game with a rich NPC interaction system. For sad, in its current state It's just an open-world crawler in an uncommon setting -- not more, but at least not less. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose my 35 hours played are sufficient to make a just statement on this game.

You don't even want to know how much loot you can get out of Grit Gate.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:03 pm »

As long as its understood that the game is not complete, I see nothing wrong with judging a game in alpha/beta and offering feedback. The world does feel a bit uninhabited. That may be by design though.

unormal, the reason I asked before if there were any available backstory or lore surrounding the arcologies and such is I'd really like to use your very unique world and setting in a roleplaying game I am running, and am looking for more information if such is available

We actually have a good chunk of a Freehold-setting (superset of Qud) pen and paper RPG on our hard drives, but most of it has never been published in any kind of public form.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3107 on: July 30, 2015, 03:23:44 pm »

As long as its understood that the game is not complete, I see nothing wrong with judging a game in alpha/beta and offering feedback. The world does feel a bit uninhabited. That may be by design though.

unormal, the reason I asked before if there were any available backstory or lore surrounding the arcologies and such is I'd really like to use your very unique world and setting in a roleplaying game I am running, and am looking for more information if such is available

We actually have a good chunk of a Freehold-setting (superset of Qud) pen and paper RPG on our hard drives, but most of it has never been published in any kind of public form.
I would be super interested in perusing that if you don't mind. I obviously wouldn't disseminate anything, and I'm primarily interested in the setting and background. Understand if you want to keep that private though, for later publishing.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »

I would be super interested in perusing that if you don't mind. I obviously wouldn't disseminate anything, and I'm primarily interested in the setting and background. Understand if you want to keep that private though, for later publishing.

We're gonna keep it closely held at the moment, we're still not sure quite what we're going to do with it, but we HAVE AMBITIONS(TM).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3109 on: July 30, 2015, 03:33:23 pm »

No worries. I figured as much. :)

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: July 30, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »

Since the developer is here, I wonder if you plan on adding more side-quests and side-areas? Are you going to introduce advanced tactic features like aiming at enemy's particular limb or part of body?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »

Chests in Joppa - These are just time consuming to go through. They're lootable with no consequences, and they're a 'must do' but having to do it every time you start a character is tedious. I'd suggest either removing them and just giving the character some random stuff, or just putting them all in one room for quick looting. Really, this is my biggest gripe.

To add my 2 cents do this, I'd like to see a system where maybe the people of Joppa actually lock their homes. Or at least react if you barge in uninvited. Like Retro said, it's kinda odd in its current state. You could also tie in the reputation system - so if you become really revered in Joppa, maybe you could loot the town consequence free.

I agree with this - I wouldn't mind it if there was some sort of consequence or whatever for stealing all there stuff, but at the moment it's basically just like an added bit of character generation. Build character, loot stuff, get initial missions. Whilst I don't think that Qud needs to be taken down to DCSS levels of lean - It just seems a bit redundant to have to keep on doing the same stuff on start.

My suggestion would be to either give the player a random assortment of stuff on start or buff all starting classes a little bit and take the chests out.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: July 30, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »

Since the developer is here, I wonder if you plan on adding more side-quests and side-areas? Are you going to introduce advanced tactic features like aiming at enemy's particular limb or part of body?

Limb-aiming is probably not a priority, no. Finishing the main quest through is our top priority at the moment.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »

I don't think the chests are meant to be looted every single run. But I guess the temptation to power game is pretty strong. I hardly ever do it, unless I'm playing a marauder or something.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: July 30, 2015, 11:24:48 pm »

[Beta branch]
*Broke the heck out of saved game backwards compatibility
*Assorted memory management improvements
*Added a revision number to the save file
*Improved save info file system
*Party members will no-longer auto-target sleeping enemies
*Reworked UI to generate vastly less garbage
*Changed tile textures to 'paint', which will reduce total object count by about 30%
*Fixed a bug with stairs placement that was causing many dungeons to regenerate many times unnecessarily
*Fixed a crash/lockup with buying a power from an unpurchased skill
*Fixed an issue trying to continue an old-version game before starting one
*Fixed the descriptor for <redacted>
Note: This is a release candidate for the public default branch

ascii doesnt appear at all now when i try to play. it just looks like tiles with 99% of everything missing. i see grass tiles some places, in ascii mode, but no ascii.

tiles appears to work fine, but fuck tiles.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: July 30, 2015, 11:28:45 pm »

[Beta branch]
*Broke the heck out of saved game backwards compatibility
*Assorted memory management improvements
*Added a revision number to the save file
*Improved save info file system
*Party members will no-longer auto-target sleeping enemies
*Reworked UI to generate vastly less garbage
*Changed tile textures to 'paint', which will reduce total object count by about 30%
*Fixed a bug with stairs placement that was causing many dungeons to regenerate many times unnecessarily
*Fixed a crash/lockup with buying a power from an unpurchased skill
*Fixed an issue trying to continue an old-version game before starting one
*Fixed the descriptor for <redacted>
Note: This is a release candidate for the public default branch

ascii doesnt appear at all now when i try to play. it just looks like tiles with 99% of everything missing. i see grass tiles some places, in ascii mode, but no ascii.

tiles appears to work fine, but fuck tiles.

Yeah I borked it with the tile painting thing but I will unbork it soon. You can play on the previousstable branch in the meantime, if it is a gamebreaker.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: July 31, 2015, 12:05:09 am »

Thinking about it, I feel that the one thing tinkers really need is the ability to make robots.  I mean, I know it's been suggested before, but it would just make them a lot more interesting and would give them something more useful to do in the late game.  Data-disks for robots, and maybe Reverse Engineer could have a chance of giving you the tinker recipe for a robot after killing it (assuming it has one.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: July 31, 2015, 06:06:20 am »

I don't think the chests are meant to be looted every single run. But I guess the temptation to power game is pretty strong. I hardly ever do it, unless I'm playing a marauder or something.
I really wouldn't call this power gaming - it's too obvious and simple to do. I mean in my last game I found a revolver, loads of food and some better armor. Why would I ever want to miss out on that right at the start?
I know that it's not too much hassle in the grand scheme of things, it just seems like an unnecessary thing to have to do and something that is easily game-able (find rubbish stuff? quick restart and try again!)

Whilst I love the remoteness feeling that Qud gives, I'd also like to see more villages/hamlets, even if they were just a simple trader and a few people with some lore dialogue.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: July 31, 2015, 10:23:29 am »

Whilst I love the remoteness feeling that Qud gives, I'd also like to see more villages/hamlets, even if they were just a simple trader and a few people with some lore dialogue.

There are actually lots of randomly generated little farmsteads out there, at least in the hills. I've run across pig farmers, starapple farmers, a Barathrumite camp...and a few others, I think. They NPCs could stand to have a little more interaction (most won't even talk to you) but they are there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3119 on: July 31, 2015, 11:03:25 am »

I felt so bad. Once I stumbled upon a pig farm and for whatever reason (factions!) the pigs were hostile to me. I ended up slaughtering the farmer's entire livestock pen full of pigs which he understandably was upset about, so then I had to kill him as well.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 250