Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570318 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3090 on: July 28, 2015, 09:35:59 pm »

Pretty sexy build of Caves of Qud up on the Beta branch just now. I'm getting pretty happy with performance and GC behavior. I want to add save file versioning and then it's ready for the public branch, I think.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:16 am »

Wow, I'm doing really well so far! Mine is a 17 lvl mutant with shell and freezing hands of 9 lvl and he is stuck at Bethesda Susa now. My question is what skills would you guys suggest to focus on? Currently I wield 2 carbide longswords and the carbin gained from the bears. I have invested some amount of skill points in Tinkering II(and dual-wielding as well, btw), but how will I benefit from tinkering? I haven't yet got lucky enough to gather powerful schemes of any kind. My stats equal or are slightly over 22 (except the two last ones, which even don't reach scores of above 14). One problem is that sometimes my char can't get through enemy's armour, he also misses quite frequently; these put him in danger especially when fighting those stone guys in Bethesda Susa's depths. How do I fix that?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:18:00 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:32 am »

For accuracy with swords buy as many sword skills as you can afford - each gives you a +1 to hit.
When fighting armoured opponents, consider switching to hammers.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:04 am »

My first character is an Agility-focused Warden mutant. I've picked mutations which increase Agility and quickness, plus a paralyzing stinger.

I've only just started (level 4) and I'm doing okay, but I suppose it's not a particularly creative build so it's a bit dull.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:41 am »

I absolutely love the new version - 10/10 definitely recommend. It's well worth the extra money, although I guess some might want to hold out until a few content based changes/additions are made.

On a different note, I just got one-shotted by a chaingun turret when entering the next screen :(

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: July 29, 2015, 11:08:22 am »

What level would you guys recommend me be for the Bethesda quest (one following the Golgotha quest)? I'm trying my best to play w/o spoilers, and my axe wielding horticulturist is currently level 20. Full steel for armor, plus steel shield and a folded carbide battleaxe. This is farthest I've gotten any character by a long shot, so I'd rather not walk into a new area only to be insta-killed.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: July 29, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

What level would you guys recommend me be for the Bethesda quest (one following the Golgotha quest)? I'm trying my best to play w/o spoilers, and my axe wielding horticulturist is currently level 20. Full steel for armor, plus steel shield and a folded carbide battleaxe. This is farthest I've gotten any character by a long shot, so I'd rather not walk into a new area only to be insta-killed.
I'd say you're probably ok as long as you have some good consumables?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: July 29, 2015, 01:32:31 pm »

I'd say you're probably ok as long as you have some good consumables?

Cold resist is important. This shouldn't be much of a spoiler since, IIRC, the bears tell you that anyways.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: July 29, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »

Hey. Is the creator hanging out here on the forum?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:08:45 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: July 29, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »

So as this is in development, I'd like to make a few suggestions for early game changes. One of the hardest bits for RLs to get right is the starting game, because even good players tend to have to go through it quite a few times.

Chests in Joppa - These are just time consuming to go through. They're lootable with no consequences, and they're a 'must do' but having to do it every time you start a character is tedious. I'd suggest either removing them and just giving the character some random stuff, or just putting them all in one room for quick looting. Really, this is my biggest gripe.

Quest order - Some sort of pointer of where to go first would be a good idea. Even if it's just a throw away phrase from Mehmet about how relatively peaceful the Southern Swamps are, it'd at least give the player some pointers.

bandages - Giving the player two or three bandages would be helpful for the odd bleeding injury that insta-kills a character.

Remove fish/non-able to attack creature xp Fish and other creatures not able to attack shouldn't really give XP. Even though it's not a lot, it shouldn't be a viable strategy to just hunt fish.

Really, my big gripe is the chests - it's a must, but it's also time consuming especially if you accidentally down a few characters in a short space of time.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: July 29, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Chests in Joppa - These are just time consuming to go through. They're lootable with no consequences, and they're a 'must do' but having to do it every time you start a character is tedious. I'd suggest either removing them and just giving the character some random stuff, or just putting them all in one room for quick looting. Really, this is my biggest gripe.

To add my 2 cents do this, I'd like to see a system where maybe the people of Joppa actually lock their homes. Or at least react if you barge in uninvited. Like Retro said, it's kinda odd in its current state. You could also tie in the reputation system - so if you become really revered in Joppa, maybe you could loot the town consequence free.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »

To add my 2 cents do this, I'd like to see a system where maybe the people of Joppa actually lock their homes. Or at least react if you barge in uninvited. Like Retro said, it's kinda odd in its current state. You could also tie in the reputation system - so if you become really revered in Joppa, maybe you could loot the town consequence free.
It'd be really welcome if there were some more living places throughout the world of Qud besides Joppa. But since there aren't many, I think it's absolutely unnecessary. In addition, Caves of Qud doesn't seem to be a game with a rich NPC interaction system. For sad, in its current state It's just an open-world crawler in an uncommon setting -- not more, but at least not less. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose my 35 hours played are sufficient to make a just statement on this game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:31:01 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:38 pm »

[Beta branch]
*Broke the heck out of saved game backwards compatibility
*Assorted memory management improvements
*Added a revision number to the save file
*Improved save info file system
*Party members will no-longer auto-target sleeping enemies
*Reworked UI to generate vastly less garbage
*Changed tile textures to 'paint', which will reduce total object count by about 30%
*Fixed a bug with stairs placement that was causing many dungeons to regenerate many times unnecessarily
*Fixed a crash/lockup with buying a power from an unpurchased skill
*Fixed an issue trying to continue an old-version game before starting one
*Fixed the descriptor for <redacted>
Note: This is a release candidate for the public default branch

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »

It'd be really welcome if there were some more living places throughout the world of Qud besides Joppa. But since there aren't many, I think it's absolutely unnecessary. In addition, Caves of Qud doesn't seem to be a game with a rich NPC interaction system. For sad, in its current state It's just an open-world crawler in an uncommon setting -- not more, but at least not less. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose my 35 hours played are sufficient to make a just statement on this game.

But the game is still in beta, with a lot more content to come later. I'm sure more villages and such will be added in time, making in-depth interaction more viable. I'm just saying it's kinda odd to judge the game in its current state, since its current state is unfinished. IIRC, the newly added reputation system is supposed to be a launching pad for greater NPC interaction, so that's probably going to come in time as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3104 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:02 pm »

As long as its understood that the game is not complete, I see nothing wrong with judging a game in alpha/beta and offering feedback. The world does feel a bit uninhabited. That may be by design though.

unormal, the reason I asked before if there were any available backstory or lore surrounding the arcologies and such is I'd really like to use your very unique world and setting in a roleplaying game I am running, and am looking for more information if such is available
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 250