Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570348 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3075 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:12 pm »

I just somehow managed to be neutral with the seed spitting vine, jilted lover and qudzum. I dunno how, though. Just started a new game and head to rust cave where I noticed that they don't attack me. I really like that.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: July 27, 2015, 03:38:04 pm »

Does Mehmet's dying from getting a deathblow from the warden (and thus not finishing his quest) affect the subsequent walkthrough drasticaly?

Not really. Argyve's quest is the one which kicks off the main plot.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3077 on: July 27, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »

I just somehow managed to be neutral with the seed spitting vine, jilted lover and qudzum. I dunno how, though. Just started a new game and head to rust cave where I noticed that they don't attack me. I really like that.
Did you take any plant type mutations? some of them might have + faction with plants

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: July 27, 2015, 05:27:28 pm »

As an eager student of the origin of names I find it impossible to ever get along with the goat-man in Kayuka. The amount of times I've had to flee from that village..

Loving the new tileset though!

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: July 27, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »

The implication is that a mobile version might be coming, but the result is probably going to be a cleaner more efficient game for everybody.

Unity's garbage collector is also just trash and is dying with heap allocation exhaustion, so at first I'm just trying to eliminate those crashes.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: July 27, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »

I don't know, I always found the tunnel route easier if I have a decent build.  Since I wanted to try a non-Esper for once, I just went through it with an 18 str / 18 agi / 26 toughness / 18 int Watervine Farmer mutant with freezing hands, regeneration, night vision and spit slime, and nothing in there seemed to be a particular threat to me.  (I did get lucky and get an electric axe early on, but this is typical.)

I mean, of course it's not easy as an Artifex, but nothing is easy as an Artifex.  The last I checked, the basic advice for starting an Artifex is to kill glowfish for XP until you reach level 6 or something.  Being an Artifex is suffering.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:27:13 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »

If anyone's having great trouble surviving early on, a better option than grinding low-level animals is to head to the salt desert right off the bat, and wander around until you find a lair, which will grant you enough experience to get to level 4 or 5. Do not explore, though - they're currently bugged and have no walls, so you'll get swarmed by hordes of mirthworms without any means of crowd control.

If you run out of food or water, or get too close to a dawnglider, just reload with a new character until you get lucky.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: July 27, 2015, 08:45:41 pm »

I've finally shelled out for the game. Looks like it deserves the support, and has the potential to grow into something even greater.

You might be hearing of my post-apocalyptic adventures soon!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:49:09 pm by Greenbane »

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: July 27, 2015, 08:55:44 pm »

Did you take any plant type mutations? some of them might have + faction with plants

Not that I know of. I took the same build I died before and I wasn't neutral with them then.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: July 27, 2015, 09:01:17 pm »

If anyone's having great trouble surviving early on, a better option than grinding low-level animals is to head to the salt desert right off the bat, and wander around until you find a lair, which will grant you enough experience to get to level 4 or 5. Do not explore, though - they're currently bugged and have no walls, so you'll get swarmed by hordes of mirthworms without any means of crowd control.

If you have freezing hands or force wall+ranged attack or something similar, you can kill equimaxes for oodles of XP. The tricky bit is not getting swarmed by a herd of them. You've gotta attack one where no other equimaxes can see you so they don't aggro you immediately.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »

I just had an idea for balancing Tinkerers, ironically based off that exploit mentioned earlier.
Belatedly, what I would suggest instead is an 'improve' ability for tinkers, which costs some scrap and tries to improve an item (sometimes failing based on intelligence.)  The more improvements it already has, the harder it is to improve it further.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:58 pm »

Ok, Beta branch has a build that cleans up the event subsystem, the UI & zone building somewhat. I hope it helps the crashes some. :(

*Assorted memory management improvements
*Reworked UI to generate vastly less garbage
*Fixed a bug with stairs placement that was causing many dungeons to regenerate many times unnecessarily
*Fixed a crash/lockup with buying a power from an unpurchased skill
*Fixed an issue trying to continue an old-version game before starting one
*Fixed the descriptor for <redacted>

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:35 pm »

A small feature suggestion:  Would it be possible to have the savefile description list your caste / profession instead of just "mutated human" or "True Kin?"  Maybe something like "Unormal the Apostle Mutant" or "Unormal the Syzygyrior" or the like.  Those are more specific -- at the moment, there are only two options, "True Kin" or "Mutated Human", which can make it hard to recall what a character was.  (Especially when using a random name, which you may not recall.)

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:58 am »

I have finally escaped from that damned 'secret' tunnel. You guys NEVER wander in it, unless you want to get lost and eventually die from starving. There were also some powerful beasts like robots, turrets and fire ants, by the way. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to gain 6 levels crawling around there and make my way out alive after all. So I'm of 10 lvl now, cool.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:16:40 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:06 pm »

Oh yeah, that's the one really important thing about it.  Straight down until you find the river, then north along the river until you get to red rock.  Wander anywhere else and you might encounter much nastier enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 250