Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570372 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3060 on: July 25, 2015, 08:47:51 pm »

I suppose "made a mistake" should include "didn't pay enough attention to the game to know what they were trading in"

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: July 25, 2015, 11:27:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't really expect much from indiegames.com anymore, that's sort of par for the course.

Major props to the devs, I've always liked Qud, but the new graphics really tie it all together for me.
New. Favorite. Game. Period.

Keep it up guys, I can't wait to see what this will develop into.
PTW

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:04 am »

I guess I have been bloody successful so far! Mine is 9 lvl. He was able to get a laser rifle somehow. My question is what items tend to go rusted? And where can I find some energy cells to charge up my laser rifle and flame dagger? What place is safe enough to store my stuff in?

PS I probably ought to cease playing immediately, otherwise being rapt and reckless I'm going to lose again...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:38:30 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: July 26, 2015, 11:11:12 am »

I guess I have been bloody successful by now. Mine is 9 lvl. He was able to get a laser rifle somehow. My question is what items tend to go to rust? And where can I find some energy cells for my laser rifle and flame dagger?
You can sometimes buy them from shopkeepers (especially the bear ones later on).  If you have at least one, you can also recharge them at any shopkeeper -- hit 'o' over it for other options and pick recharge.  I missed that for a while, though it's displayed on the screen.

I find the easiest place to get them is by pulling them out of elemental weapons used by other people, though.  They look like trinkets until identified.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:52:22 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: July 26, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »

Are there any diffrencess between FREE ASCIII version & PAY steam graphical version? (expect tiles) I meant additionall content that is unavilable for the free version

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: July 26, 2015, 01:19:38 pm »

Are there any diffrencess between FREE ASCIII version & PAY steam graphical version? (expect tiles) I meant additionall content that is unavilable for the free version
There have been many changes to the steam version. It is a significantly improved experience, but whether or not its worth the ten bucks is up to you.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: July 26, 2015, 01:29:32 pm »

I looked at the changelist on steam. It looks like odds and ends. Do you have a specific direction you are taking the development? How much different is the steam version from the free one?

Onemore stupid question. WHen I use my steam application and I search for caves of qud it doesn't show up. I think because its in Greenlight. There used to be a way to click on greenlight on the main page. Its gone. I can find it when I google search but I want to navigate in the steam application. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:33:03 pm by guessingo »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:06 pm »

From following unormal on the twitters, it sounds like there is a lot of memory cleanup going on to make the game more efficient and run better under unity.

The implication is that a mobile version might be coming, but the result is probably going to be a cleaner more efficient game for everybody.

It sounds like there are also a bunch of bug fixes.  I am understanding that there is a roadmap for additional features and content, but those are not yet being worked on.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:39 pm »

I have discovered the most amusing exploit ever.

Eater's Nectar Injectors are ultra-rare things that increase your stats permanently (by the way, does anyone know where to get Arsplice Seeds?)

A Booster Gun can be loaded with one injector, which it fires to hit an enemy.  You can get them from certain robots in Bethesda Susa, although it's not easy (I think the easiest way is to use the axe skills to dismember them and hope they drop it.)

Temporal Fugue duplicates get copies of anything you're equipped with, including ammo.  You can probably see where this is going now, but...

You can load an Eater's Nectar Injector into a Booster Gun, then equip it and use the Temporal Fugue to produce duplicate of yourself, then stand between them and the enemy.  Occasionally, they will shoot you with their booster guns by accident, giving you a permanent stat boost or mutation point, without using up any permanent resources.  You can repeat this as often as you have the patience for.

(In practice it is much harder to exploit than it seems -- the duplicates were not cooperative when I did it.  But I managed to get them to hit me a few times, and it does work.  I tried it with Evil Twin, but sadly they didn't seem interested in using the booster guns to attack -- though maybe it was because I was too close to them?  Hrm.  Maybe with a way to force some sort of distance, like force bubble.)

I don't actually feel this needs to be "fixed".  It's incredibly obscure and requires combining a lot of different things in an odd way; you have to have Temporal Fugue and the axe tree, and you also need an Eater's Nectar Injector -- not easy to find.  And at the end of the day, if someone wants to exploit such a bizarre combination of stuff, it's not really game-wrecking.  But I found it amusing enough to mention it here.  In theory, you could use this to get the benefit of any injector, although you'd risk being hit by more than one copy and suffering side-effects (not a problem with Eater's Nectar Injectors, which take effect immediately.)

An unrelated bug, maybe related to the cloning changes recently:  I put an Eater's Nectar Injector in my thrown slot as a test, then used a cloning drought to clone myself, then used Domination on the duplicate.  When I tried to unequip the injector, it was treated as if it was on the ground, not in my hand -- there was no option to unequip it, but there was an option to 'get' it.  Getting it and then using it somehow resulted in me still having an injector in my inventory, which I could equip and use again repeatedly.  I think the bug here affects all thrown items equipped by clones, or something of that nature.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:32:03 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:54 am »

*sees people constantly talking about the "secret" tunnel, and saying it should be visible and pointed to because it's easy and new user friendly*

*is confused, because the last time an Artifex went down there they were immediately gangbanged by a snapjaw brute and two hunters surrounding the stairs*

I know newbie hazing is in fashion, but that seems a bit cruel nonetheless.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: July 27, 2015, 12:00:37 pm »

*sees people constantly talking about the "secret" tunnel, and saying it should be visible and pointed to because it's easy and new user friendly*

Only reason I ever use that tunnel is for the instant 50 xp it gives you for going down it. I've had a couple games where I wandered around in the deep dark caverns below Qud as a means of "safe" and "easy" transport to dungeons and I am never going down there again if I can help it. Wandering around in the dark and damp with no idea where the hell I'm going doesn't become that much more fun when I don't personally have to suffer through its consequences. DF's caverns in adventure mode are even worse.

On an unrelated note, the Asphalt Mines up near the top left of the map have pretty good loot. Tinkering scraps EVERYWHERE, minimum carbide level equipment and a decent amount of artifacts. More importantly, the enemies there aren't that much worse then normal underground giant bugs, with the exception of the one firebreathing pig enemy who is sort of annoying. I had to recoil to Joppa after the second level because I picked up so much stuff there.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: July 27, 2015, 01:18:39 pm »

Sadly, in my country 10 bucks is somewhat expensive (Given the fact I am in Poland, it costs around 40 PLN) I can indeed, afford it but i am saving my money for other investments, However, playing ASCII edition has gaven me enlightenment, I should one day buy it

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:43 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I could really do the underground tunnel at level one, every time I go down it (from the other end usually) I find some nasty stuff.

That said, there is a very good reason to go down there eventually, because there is a guaranteed anti-grav orb between the town and the dungeon at some point.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I could really do the underground tunnel at level one, every time I go down it (from the other end usually) I find some nasty stuff.

That said, there is a very good reason to go down there eventually, because there is a guaranteed anti-grav orb between the town and the dungeon at some point.

I don't know...it seems level-based a bit. I've done a few runs comparing the two (the tunnel vs the overland entrance) and it seems to be about the same. By the time you've gone through one the other is pretty nasty, but they seem to be on par for starting out in the runs I've done. Which is only 4 so far, so take that with a grain of salt.

Biggest problem with the tunnel route is that it is a lot longer to actually get through since you're not skipping tiles. You do level a bit more before finishing the quest, but given that part of the reason to do the quest is to level faster with the bonus XP I'm not sure that's very helpful.

The loot down there is good, though, especially for True Kin.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:05 pm »

Does Mehmet's dying of getting a deathblow from the warden (and thus not finishing his quest) affect the subsequent walkthrough drasticaly?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:44:39 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 250